2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Cushing explained Martinez is not playing because he last played in May and has not had an actual pre season and it's probably better if he didn't play cause he's not ready. Guess he's in the 18 taking up a spot simply for emergency sub? Probably why he doesn't play Fernandez that much either, but then again, he has baffled us all and started him one game where he was completely gassed 5 minutes in and had his worst performance.

Perea getting minutes is baffling when both parks and sands are healthy. Yeah, he gives us a slightly different look. he's more mobile and athletic than Sands (who is not having his best season) but as you said, 2024, he's gone. what's the point at this point in the season?
I didn’t know that about Martinez. And Fernandez is young and raw at minimum.
In sum, we added 1 player meant to add goals this summer which is treading water while selling Gaby. Regardless of what they say they didn’t really try to salvage 2023 and I can’t say that was wrong by the time July came.

I didn’t know that about Martinez. And Fernandez is young and raw at minimum.
In sum, we added 1 player meant to add goals this summer which is treading water while selling Gaby. Regardless of what they say they didn’t really try to salvage 2023 and I can’t say that was wrong by the time July came.

he was asked about it post game cause he was going to put martinez in instead of talles and went with talles instead. again, just highlights how deep in the doghouse talles is that cushing was ready to put a player he thinks isn't ready to play at all in before talles. and wtf does he not play talles with bakrar? he should know how good talles can be with a proper 9 occupying CBs.

Cushing explained Martinez is not playing because he last played in May and has not had an actual pre season and it's probably better if he didn't play cause he's not ready. Guess he's in the 18 taking up a spot simply for emergency sub? Probably why he doesn't play Fernandez that much either, but then again, he has baffled us all and started him one game where he was completely gassed 5 minutes in and had his worst performance.

Perea getting minutes is baffling when both parks and sands are healthy. Yeah, he gives us a slightly different look. he's more mobile and athletic than Sands (who is not having his best season) but as you said, 2024, he's gone. what's the point at this point in the season?

Perea has to play or else we won’t have three defensive midfielders.

Talles isn't even warming up anymore when the players are told to warm up, or he just goes 5 minutes after everyone else. I think he's given up either on his own merits or because he's been told he won't be playing anymore (a la Chanot).

Talles isn't even warming up anymore when the players are told to warm up, or he just goes 5 minutes after everyone else. I think he's given up either on his own merits or because he's been told he won't be playing anymore (a la Chanot).

Honestly, with how bad he's been this season I don't really see a controversy here. Talles shouldn't be a first-choice player at the moment. Hopefully he puts it together next year with the new coaching staff, but it's pretty clear either he just had a young player bad season, or is not compatible with this coaching staff.

Good news is if it's the former, he has every chance to bounce back next year. If it's the latter, we'll have a new coaching staff in 2024 and he'll have a chance to play better for the new boss.

Reactions: Gene
Honestly, with how bad he's been this season I don't really see a controversy here. Talles shouldn't be a first-choice player at the moment. Hopefully he puts it together next year with the new coaching staff, but it's pretty clear either he just had a young player bad season, or is not compatible with this coaching staff.

Good news is if it's the former, he has every chance to bounce back next year. If it's the latter, we'll have a new coaching staff in 2024 and he'll have a chance to play better for the new boss.

he's been played out of position all year and even when we get an actual 9, cushing drops him. it makes no sense. so yea there is controversy considering we are well aware of what he's capable of and he's one of our most expensive players with a huge upside potential. he needs to play and it's cushing's job to make it happen.

Reactions: Locopsu
he's been played out of position all year and even when we get an actual 9, cushing drops him. it makes no sense. so yea there is controversy considering we are well aware of what he's capable of and he's one of our most expensive players with a huge upside potential. he needs to play and it's cushing's job to make it happen.

He also needs to contribute. Sure, he's not a striker. But he's capable of doing more than he has. Yes, Cushing is to blame. Talles is to blame, too. He has not been nearly good enough this year.

He also needs to contribute. Sure, he's not a striker. But he's capable of doing more than he has. Yes, Cushing is to blame. Talles is to blame, too. He has not been nearly good enough this year.
He has been really bad. But what I'm having trouble understanding is why he isn't getting a chance now. The operative word being "why." We were all waiting for the arrival of a striker in the transfer window so he could move back to the wing where he belongs. We got the striker we were looking for -- and he got benched instead. I'm having trouble seeing the reason.

Reactions: Revfugee

it's a lot harder to play out of your position at a high level. sure, he could do better, but so could just about everyone else. yet talles is the only one who is in the dog house. why? cushing is to blame for our regression in player performance and our attacking, flowing style turning into a defensive shell with zero attacking creativity or confidence.

with what.. 5 games to go, he continues to send out defensive lineups. makes zero sense. we should be going out swinging, not huddled up in a shell.

He has been really bad. But what I'm having trouble understanding is why he isn't getting a chance now. The operative word being "why." We were all waiting for the arrival of a striker in the transfer window so he could move back to the wing where he belongs. We got the striker we were looking for -- and he got benched instead. I'm having trouble seeing the reason.

With where we are in the season, we have to go with more dependable options. If we truly fall out of the playoffs (4 points back with 5 to go is still very much in the race), he should play more. Until then, we need to put the team that gives us the best chance to win on the field. Based on his season, that's not Talles.

With where we are in the season, we have to go with more dependable options. If we truly fall out of the playoffs (4 points back with 5 to go is still very much in the race), he should play more. Until then, we need to put the team that gives us the best chance to win on the field. Based on his season, that's not Talles.
I really do not understand this position. Talles played out of position at the 9 most of season and if we objectively look at production (3 goals and 2 assists) that’s still 2/3 best on team.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
No doubt Talles Magno has been pretty poor this year. But in terms of talent, he's probably still our best option at left wing, especially with a real striker to work with. To my way of thinking, it makes sense to give him the start and see what happens, especially with Cufré on that side with him and maybe Keaton shading that way to feed him through.

It's not hard for me to imagine him dribbling forward and attracting a crowd, but now with the option of releasing the ball earlier to a dashing Bakrar rather than just plowing into a triple team. It might be just what we need. We're certainly not very dangerous right now, so what the heck.

But as I've mentioned, I don't know if there's some second-level stuff going on between him and Cushing, or the organization. Missed all that, along with the Chanot drama.

Reactions: Revfugee and moogoo
No doubt Talles Magno has been pretty poor this year. But in terms of talent, he's probably still our best option at left wing, especially with a real striker to work with. To my way of thinking, it makes sense to give him the start and see what happens, especially with Cufré on that side with him and maybe Keaton shading that way to feed him through.

It's not hard for me to imagine him dribbling forward and attracting a crowd, but now with the option of releasing the ball earlier to a dashing Bakrar rather than just plowing into a triple team. It might be just what we need. We're certainly not very dangerous right now, so what the heck.

But as I've mentioned, I don't know if there's some second-level stuff going on between him and Cushing, or the organization. Missed all that, along with the Chanot drama.
Turns out Nick addressed this issue right at the top of his post-game presser -- it was the first question he was asked (and the last, both in a very direct manner). I'm not sure the answers are very satisfying. More pique than anything. But Cushing's general point is pretty close to what ZYanksRule ZYanksRule has been saying: Talles Magno had his chance, didn't produce, and now it's time for someone else to play.

[Missed this in the last couple days, sorry if anyone else has already posted it.]

Turns out Nick addressed this issue right at the top of his post-game presser -- it was the first question he was asked (and the last, both in a very direct manner). I'm not sure the answers are very satisfying. More pique than anything. But Cushing's general point is pretty close to what ZYanksRule ZYanksRule has been saying: Talles Magno had his chance, didn't produce, and now it's time for someone else to play.

[Missed this in the last couple days, sorry if anyone else has already posted it.]

i like how he says "we can just play the game with 11 attackers right?" with a smirk. yet he's ok with playing 8 defensive players.

he's been asked this question before about talles and his answer is always just round about and unsatisfying. there's no reason he can't play talles with bakrar and fernandez. santi - sands - morales/perea, then usual backline but with ilenic. he's talking out of his ass and if he wasn't a CFG company man he'd have been long gone by now.

the crazy thing is i think he keeps his job even if we don't make the playoffs and have the worst performing season ever. he is not picking a side to win games. he's picking a side to barely squeak by and not be further embarrassed. and that is not the face of someone who is in any kind of hot seat.

Reactions: Vallos
i like how he says "we can just play the game with 11 attackers right?" with a smirk. yet he's ok with playing 8 defensive players.

he's been asked this question before about talles and his answer is always just round about and unsatisfying. there's no reason he can't play talles with bakrar and fernandez. santi - sands - morales/perea, then usual backline but with ilenic. he's talking out of his ass and if he wasn't a CFG company man he'd have been long gone by now.

the crazy thing is i think he keeps his job even if we don't make the playoffs and have the worst performing season ever. he is not picking a side to win games. he's picking a side to barely squeak by and not be further embarrassed. and that is not the face of someone who is in any kind of hot seat.

I am actually very confident that Cushing will be fired at the end of the season. Or at least reassigned. I think the front office is very unhappy with this season -- all the quotes we've seen indicate that. There has been no support of the coach. I think if we miss the playoffs, Cushing is a goner. Even if we make the playoffs, I'm still not sure he survives.

I am actually very confident that Cushing will be fired at the end of the season. Or at least reassigned. I think the front office is very unhappy with this season -- all the quotes we've seen indicate that. There has been no support of the coach. I think if we miss the playoffs, Cushing is a goner. Even if we make the playoffs, I'm still not sure he survives.
I also think he isn’t brought back, especially if this ends up being the worst season in nycfc history.

I also think he isn’t brought back, especially if this ends up being the worst season in nycfc history.

The club made it very clear in 2015 that missing the playoffs was unacceptable and would result in the coach being fired. It's hard for me to see how they could reverse course this year. I know the roster wasn't good enough for the first 24 games, but to finish in the bottom 5 of the conference, and perhaps in the bottom 7 of the entire league, is completely unacceptable for a club of our size and desire.

The club made it very clear in 2015 that missing the playoffs was unacceptable and would result in the coach being fired. It's hard for me to see how they could reverse course this year. I know the roster wasn't good enough for the first 24 games, but to finish in the bottom 5 of the conference, and perhaps in the bottom 7 of the entire league, is completely unacceptable for a club of our size and desire.

if he some how is NOT let go.... i think that would be a pretty clear message from CFG about where we stand in the priority list amongst their clubs.

if he some how is NOT let go.... i think that would be a pretty clear message from CFG about where we stand in the priority list amongst their clubs.

Right. And by the way -- I think David Lee is more deserving of being fired than Nick. Obviously no one expects that to happen, but I put more blame for this season on the front office than I do on the coaching staff.