2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

New roster information from MLS. Click through to the PDF.

It indicates every one of our DPs is eligible to be bought down with TAM.

Corrected ETA: they cannot be converted. D'oh!

Last edited:

New roster information from MLS. Click through to the PDF.

It indicates every one of our DPs is eligible to be bought down with TAM.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but to me it says the opposite. The notes say:

"^Player can not be converted from a Designated Player to a non-Designated Player by using Targeted allocation Money"

All 3 of our DPS have the "^" next to their names.

Reactions: 413Blue
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but to me it says the opposite. The notes say:

"^Player can not be converted from a Designated Player to a non-Designated Player by using Targeted allocation Money"

All 3 of our DPS have the "^" next to their names.
That's right. I think I corrected it while you were typing.

Reactions: 413Blue
It's a very confusing way to display it. To me the ability to be bought down is the unique condition. It would make more sense to use the "^" to designate the few players that meet the buy down condition as opposed to how they have done it.
That is exactly why I misread it. To be fair it is clear enough and my mistake, but would make more sense to use the special character to ID the ones you can buy down.

He’s far from a liability. He has very high football IQ and he comes cheap. Just want to drop in here that Jasson, while not seeing many minutes lately, is a solid depth piece and also cheap.
Drink every time he's fouled!!

What do you make of them apples? mgarbowski mgarbowski
(timestamped to 1:05:00)

I think it's an accurate description from the dude on the right... though I think it should probably be C tier, not B tier all things considered.

What do you make of them apples? mgarbowski mgarbowski
(timestamped to 1:05:00)

I think it's an accurate description from the dude on the right... though I think it should probably be C tier, not B tier all things considered.

Not a great sign for our current DPs that they spent 97% of the time talking about Prilo and Villa and only ended with "the current guys are okay." B feels generous. In the spirit of their tier list, I would rate our DPs as follows:

S Tier- Vill and Maxi
B Tier - Santi (assuming he continues to get better)
C Tier - Lampard (good when he played but didn't play much), Magno (started well then went south), and Medina (bad for a few years and then ended well)
D Tier - Prilo (entertaining to watch but well past his prime)
F Tier - Mitri (total waste of transfer $)

I'd say we are more C-tier. They didn't mention it but we should probably factor in how infrequently we have had 3 DPs and how few games we have fielded 3 DPs even when we had 3 on the roster.

Edit: I forgot Martins. I'd say C-tier, solid player but not a DP-level CB

Last edited:
Not a great sign for our current DPs that they spent 97% of the time talking about Prilo and Villa and only ended with "the current guys are okay." B feels generous. In the spirit of their tier list, I would rate our DPs as follows:

S Tier- Vill and Maxi
B Tier - Santi (assuming he continues to get better)
C Tier - Lampard (good when he played but didn't play much), Magno (started well then went south), and Medina (bad for a few years and then ended well)
D Tier - Prilo (entertaining to watch but well past his prime)
F Tier - Mitri (total waste of transfer $)

I'd say we are more C-tier. They didn't mention it but we should probably factor in how infrequently we have had 3 DPs and how few games we have fielded 3 DPs even when we had 3 on the roster.

Edit: I forgot Martins. I'd say C-tier, solid player but not a DP-level CB
ya, i tagged mark because of the infrequent 3 dp game time thought haha.

I'd say Mitri is D tier, Pirlo F tier. I think Mitri was actually pretty good before the covid "homesick" stuff, though we were kind-of warned about that before he moved over. If he'd stayed and actually continued, I think he could also have been B-tier level stuff.

Reactions: gbservis and Gene

I'd say Mitri is D tier, Pirlo F tier. I think Mitri was actually pretty good before the covid "homesick" stuff, though we were kind-of warned about that before he moved over. If he'd stayed and actually continued, I think he could also have been B-tier level stuff.

I think Pirlo was better during the first half of his time with us than people remember. I can't say I blame people for forgetting the good times though given how badly it ended.

To me Mitiri even when he played was a bad fit for us so that's why I rate him so poorly. We played a system with wings expected to press and track back, he consistently did neither of those and it often made the press fall apart. He also was mostly a 1:1 guy and provided minimal link-up play. You are probably right that D is a better fit with B potential if things had worked out. He's a talented player and it's not fair to hold a poor fit against him, that ones on the organization for not getting a player that fit our system.

First off I almost didn't get past the first thing they say at the point you cued, about the 9x9 pitch on a baseball field. But then I agree they are probably generous with an overall B grade, while I think the the one guy is unfair to Pirlo (and damn him for making me defend Pirlo). To me, Pirlo was a B-C in 2015 and 16, F only in 2017. He was never in full Piro mode, but he was still a decent contributor for 1.5 years.
I wonder how much of their overall B is based on having 2 undisputed S tier. I wonder how many teams have had that, and I'm not watching almost 2 hours to find out. I also sometimes wonder how other MLS teams fare under my randomly invented "DP missing 10 or more games in a season" statistic. I know some teams go entire seasons with fewer than 3 DPs. The overall NYCFC grade also can depend on whether Santi continues his 2024 trajectory, because he's potentially on his way to A tier and maybe even S, but until this season was probably C level as a DP.

First off I almost didn't get past the first thing they say at the point you cued, about the 9x9 pitch on a baseball field. But then I agree they are probably generous with an overall B grade, while I think the the one guy is unfair to Pirlo (and damn him for making me defend Pirlo). To me, Pirlo was a B-C in 2015 and 16, F only in 2017. He was never in full Piro mode, but he was still a decent contributor for 1.5 years.
I wonder how much of their overall B is based on having 2 undisputed S tier. I wonder how many teams have had that, and I'm not watching almost 2 hours to find out. I also sometimes wonder how other MLS teams fare under my randomly invented "DP missing 10 or more games in a season" statistic. I know some teams go entire seasons with fewer than 3 DPs. The overall NYCFC grade also can depend on whether Santi continues his 2024 trajectory, because he's potentially on his way to A tier and maybe even S, but until this season was probably C level as a DP.

Didn't watch the whole thing but jumped around on the time stamps to a few other teams. I do think you are on to something that our B rating is somewhat relative to how badly other clubs have faired with DPs. Poor Chicago's track record is just outright abysmal.

I didn't know anything about these guys before watching this video but the true colors come out at the end when they get to "the greatest team, with the greatest players, that's going to win it all this year" [Insert throw-up emoji]

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 8.45.16 PM.png

Didn't watch the whole thing but jumped around on the time stamps to a few other teams. I do think you are on to something that our B rating is somewhat relative to how badly other clubs have faired with DPs. Poor Chicago's track record is just outright abysmal.

I didn't know anything about these guys before watching this video but the true colors come out at the end when they get to "the greatest team, with the greatest players, that's going to win it all this year" [Insert throw-up emoji]

For Red Bull fans they treated NYCFC pretty fairly. Apart from the stadium dig, which I'm convinced all of MLS will never give up, they played it down the middle.

Last edited: