Away - 04/11 Philadelphia

Velasquez and Ballouchy are both frustratingly wastes of decent quality ON THE BALL because they have no clue beyond winning the occasional take-on.

And I agree that Mix is playing too far back. I can't figure out if he's doing it to cover for the Brosky , or if he's instructed to be the deepest lying MF. Whatever the reason, we need to change it up.

Nemec doesn't move enough, and therefore, the whole team ends up sitting still.

With apologies to BxLio91 BxLio91 , I think there's a better name than Backheel City. The more appropriate name is Backpass City.
I'm pretty sure I mentioned Backpass City somewhere yesterday. Just awful.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Watching the replay on YES right now. Absolutely no width to our play in the first half. If Shelton starts I would consider starting in aplace of one of the wingers instead of Nemec. Yes, Nemec isn't as dynamic as Shelton, but I don't think he's been the biggest problem going forward.

Grabavoy and Velazquez/Balouchy provide little to no service to Villa and Nemec. It doesn't help that neither fullback gives us anything on attack either.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned Backpass City somewhere yesterday. Just awful.

I think it was a "Backpass Brovsky" reference, which is a great description as well as nickname. I love it when nicknames come together organically. :cool:

My grades:

Saunders: 5
How do you push that cross right into the middle of your box?

Williams 6
Gets forward and actually looks to try to move the play up the field. Nothing egregious, although caught upfield on the first goal. Great play to set up villas goal. He shouldn't have been subbed off

Hernandez. 6
Steady on the back line. Not a distributor though, whole defense cannot figure out how to start a possession. Bad missed tackle on goal.

Wingert 6
I like him at CB. Had his man covered on the first goal. No ideas when distributing.

Brovsky 3
Behind his man on the first goal. Not defending at all on the second goal. Every pass is backwards. I just don't understand.

Jacobson 5
Too many turnovers for a DM. Weak in attack.

Mix 6
Not his best game with some errant passing, but made up for it with tough defending and his usual incisive passing.

Grabavoy 5
Knows what to do, had a hard time doing it.

Velasquez 4
Seems to dribble with his head down into trouble. Not adding anything.

Villa 6
Poor set pieces. Very nice setting up and taking the goal. Should have had an assist. Not sure if that ball crossed the end line.

Nemec 6
Perfect player for how we play. His ability on long balls was remarkable after missing it last week. Since we have no ability to play out of the back, he is really essential.

Subs:
Shelton 7
What does this kid have to do to start?

Calle 6
Not good defending on goal. Does offer good ball movement in attack.

KWS 6
Nothing glaring in his short shift.

I'm not sure what kreis is doing with these lineups. We have played poorly now for three straight games, and he seems unable to make any changes that are staring him in the face.

Reactions: Gavin23 and Paul
I think it was a "Backpass Brovsky" reference, which is a great description as well as nickname. I love it when nicknames come together organically. :cool:
Come on, Paul. It's Brosky. Because bro-ing is his highest and best use.

Reactions: Paul
Watching the replay on YES right now. Absolutely no width to our play in the first half. If Shelton starts I would consider starting in aplace of one of the wingers instead of Nemec. Yes, Nemec isn't as dynamic as Shelton, but I don't think he's been the biggest problem going forward.

Grabavoy and Velazquez/Balouchy provide little to no service to Villa and Nemec. It doesn't help that neither fullback gives us anything on attack either.
You know I always thought of Grabavoy as a decent to good MLS mid but watching him this season, so far he has been avg AT BEST. He really is not good unfortunately. I understand it is still early but what we thought was our strength at MID, is turning out to be a major weakness. They do not have the ability to make the necessary passes to lead and spot our strikers/forwards making the runs. Still early though...lots of season to go.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Still early though...lots of season to go.
Hey call me a crazy optimist or something but I think the beginning of summer is when to start having these "oh no we suck" conversations. I mean, Nemec, to pick one, could have a hat trick next game and be lit up for the rest of the season for example. I just think it's way too early to start giving up on the team and our players.

Yeah, I thought so too. It would be one thing if the contact were incidental but he intentionally knocked him down.

Intentionally? Casey was going for the ball. Saunders basically jumped into him. Horrible goalkeeping (even worse defending from Calle).

Being a fan of a New York City team is tough.
Knicks this season? -____-
Giants last season? -_____-
Don't watch baseball but Yankees last season? (or so I've heard) -_____-
Only team doing good last season AND this season are the Rangers. I may just start to watch hockey lol.
On the real though, when you're a fan of a New York City team, no matter how hard they fall, we as fans are always there through thick and thin and NYCFC is no exception.

I'm afraid that this is all par for the course with an expansion team. JK said it could take most of the season for the team to be a final product, and that's some of what we are seeing. We are made up of a mix of unprotected players, unproven rookies from afar living in a new city/country, and right now, one superstar. And they barely have played together and still are learning a system. JK has faced the conundrum of playing experienced players with the risk of mistake based upon lack of talent/age vs. younger players with the risk of mistake based upon inexperience/confusion. You saw the latter with Calle on the second goal. I suspect that JK fears that starting players like Poku, Calle and Mendoza will result in way too many rookie mistakes (I'm not saying I necessarily agree, just stating what I think he is thinking). If the defense appears weak at times, it's because that is the depth we have for now. It's just a fact. None of this excuses carelessness, lapses of intensity, starting the game slowly, giving up late goals, etc. Those are not excusable. Being limited in talent, learning to play together, learning a system, bumps in the road, etc, are what we signed up for. This team will just keep getting better. The lineup will be tweaked (more Khiry please). We will always be competitive. The fan support will be incredible. And we will turn the corner. Let's enjoy the rollercoaster!

Reactions: Albany_NYCFC
I'm afraid that this is all par for the course with an expansion team. JK said it could take most of the season for the team to be a final product, and that's some of what we are seeing. We are made up of a mix of unprotected players, unproven rookies from afar living in a new city/country, and right now, one superstar. And they barely have played together and still are learning a system. JK has faced the conundrum of playing experienced players with the risk of mistake based upon lack of talent/age vs. younger players with the risk of mistake based upon inexperience/confusion. You saw the latter with Calle on the second goal. I suspect that JK fears that starting players like Poku, Calle and Mendoza will result in way too many rookie mistakes (I'm not saying I necessarily agree, just stating what I think he is thinking). If the defense appears weak at times, it's because that is the depth we have for now. It's just a fact. None of this excuses carelessness, lapses of intensity, starting the game slowly, giving up late goals, etc. Those are not excusable. Being limited in talent, learning to play together, learning a system, bumps in the road, etc, are what we signed up for. This team will just keep getting better. The lineup will be tweaked (more Khiry please). We will always be competitive. The fan support will be incredible. And we will turn the corner. Let's enjoy the rollercoaster!
To me, Calle has looked better than Grabavoy despite getting only 60 minutes of game time. Shelton has looked better than Ballouchy and Velasquez, despite getting about 100 minutes on the season. Many of us were saying we had no FB depth while building the team, then we go and move one FB to CB, and send another one to USL while we keep four GK on the roster. It doesn't look like an issue with the team needing to gel, it looks like there are questionable decisions being made regarding roster and selections.

Shelton is the ONLY guy on the team who makes runs towards the goal without the ball. How is he not starting?!?!?!!?