Away - 04/29 Crew

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I still think the lineup I would have liked to see against Orlando should be deployed for Columbus. Some may see this as oversimplification, but I would not want to go crazy with moving anyone in different positions. Keep Herrera, Camargo and TMac on the bench.

Simply swap in RJ for Mata which he will hopfully be able to push the ball up to Wallace. If Pirlo looks like he needs to be subbed, TMac is not the first choice. Rather see Herrera or Camargo. That's all

Reactions: Kjbert
This begins a brutal stretch for us, and it couldn't come at a worse time. For all our pretty play to start the year, we are sitting on 10 points after 7 games. And those 7 were mostly against pretty bad teams: 4 games against the bottom 3 teams in the East, 1 against San Jose (barely above the line) and 2 games against Orlando, who is leading the East.

Now, we are starting 6 games in 4 weeks, with 5 of those on the road. We play 4 games against 3 of the top 4 in the East, 1 game at the 2nd place team in the West, and 1 game at RSL, who is just below the playoff line. It's going to be brutal, and we can't afford to do any worse than we did in the easy stretch we just had.

Last edited:
This begins a brutal stretch for us, and it couldn't come at a worse time. For all our pretty play to start the year, we are sitting on 10 points after 7 games. And those 7 were mostly against pretty bad teams: 4 games against the bottom 3 teams in the East, 1 against San Jose (barely above the line) and 2 games against Orlando, who is leading the East.

Now, we are starting 6 games in 4 weeks, with 5 of those on the road. We play 4 games against 3 of the top 4 in the East, 1 game at the 2nd place team in the West, and 1 game at RSL, who is just below the playoff line. It's going to be brutal, and we can't afford to do any worse than we did in the easy stretch we just had.

i looked at the schedule a few brutal weekend/ midweek games happening. by the end of May we will have good idea if we are or not making the playoffs. PV must use his other players and give the younger kids ,more playing time starting with herrera/ camargo

I know many don't like Brillant, but I think he's fine if he's in the CB spot so what about this:

Wallace - Villa - Harrison
Maxi - Pirlo - Ring
Callens - Chanot - Brillant - RJ
SJ

Gets RJ where he's typically better and we can see some nice overlap play with Jack for a game. Callens seems to have more tools than White to play that CB/outside back hybrid roll PV likes.

I know many don't like Brillant, but I think he's fine if he's in the CB spot so what about this:

Wallace - Villa - Harrison
Maxi - Pirlo - Ring
Callens - Chanot - Brillant - RJ
SJ

Gets RJ where he's typically better and we can see some nice overlap play with Jack for a game. Callens seems to have more tools than White to play that CB/outside back hybrid roll PV likes.
I would not mess with the CB combination. Leave Callens/Chanot paired. White has more than earned his playing time with solid (but unspectacular except for that monster slide last game) play.

Essentially, don't fck with the pieces that are working. Gotta find a LB replacement, whether that is RJ, Sweat, or somebody else with the hidden skill. Short of that, go to a back three of the above mentioned players.

I would not mess with the CB combination. Leave Callens/Chanot paired. White has more than earned his playing time with solid (but unspectacular except for that monster slide last game) play.

Essentially, don't fck with the pieces that are working. Gotta find a LB replacement, whether that is RJ, Sweat, or somebody else with the hidden skill. Short of that, go to a back three of the above mentioned players.
The pieces that were working were already fucked when we lost Mata for 4 to 6 weeks ;) I think gbservis gbservis 's idea is fairly decent.

Reactions: gbservis and Kjbert

Regarding White, he has been surprisingly solid defensively. But as a RB, he is still lacking overall. None of the game flows through him and Harrison is always on an island. This is at least partly by design, because we know Matarrita struggles with defensive positioning so we need another body to hang back. But White seems to be perfect for the RCB role in a 3-man backline, and isn't good enough to start at CB in a 4-man backline nor good enough going forward to lock down the RB role.

We need fullbacks, ASAP.

But White seems to be perfect for the RCB role in a 3-man backline,
Is that based on what he did at the end of the orlando game? I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on that, they werent even trying on offense for the last 20 minutes, which led to the 2 man backline at the end.

Fully agree that White is much imporved defensively, but does nothing to help move the ball up that side. We all knew that RB needed an upgrade and this is the result.

Is that based on what he did at the end of the orlando game? I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on that, they werent even trying on offense for the last 20 minutes, which led to the 2 man backline at the end.

Fully agree that White is much imporved defensively, but does nothing to help move the ball up that side. We all knew that RB needed an upgrade and this is the result.

It's based on White being fairly stout defensively, fairly mobile, and ok with his feet, but weak as an attacker and not imposing enough as a CB. He seems like a hybrid CB/RB in that he's OK at both but not great at either.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
The problem with White isn't his defense or even his offense - it's our ineptitude to link play to Jack Harrison. He's consistently been our most dynamic offensive player and we can't get him the damn ball.

Pirlo is supposed to be this world class distributor, yet the service to Harrison and Villa has been morbid this season. Unless Mata and Wallace link up, we have no offense. That's a problem.

The problem with White isn't his defense or even his offense - it's our ineptitude to link play to Jack Harrison. He's consistently been our most dynamic offensive player and we can't get him the damn ball.

Pirlo is supposed to be this world class distributor, yet the service to Harrison and Villa has been morbid this season. Unless Mata and Wallace link up, we have no offense. That's a problem.

Exactly. Harrison has gotten better since last year, but he has to do all the work this year on the right side of the field for the attacking. We have not seen White in an attacking position on the right, or making overlapping runs with Harrison a lot of this year. Last year with RJ, who has a good right foot and a more attacking mindset on the field than defensive, linked up play was effective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.