Away 05/10 - Red Bulls

W-L-D. That's the way MLSsoccer.com lists the standings. I never know what format to use.
Yeah, England uses W-D-L. I'm guessing most of Europe does. But MLS uses W-L-D and this is MLS so that's what to use I think.
I think it reflects 2 different mindsets about draws. To countries what grew up with soccer, a draw is a perfectly normal result, in no way unequal to a win or loss. So it slots in between W and L as makes sense. To Americans, ties are afterthoughts, secondary, imperfect results. We do everything we can to avoid them in our other sports and relegate them to the end of the result table.

Yeah, England uses W-D-L. I'm guessing most of Europe does. But MLS uses W-L-D and this is MLS so that's what to use I think.
I think it reflects 2 different mindsets about draws. To countries what grew up with soccer, a draw is a perfectly normal result, in no way unequal to a win or loss. So it slots in between W and L as makes sense. To Americans, ties are afterthoughts, secondary, imperfect results. We do everything we can to avoid them in our other sports and relegate them to the end of the result table.

It's also because ties in American sports (namely NFL) used to simply not count for the standings, and there were fewer of them. So it was by far the least important column, so it was added to the end.

NFL used to just drop ties from the winning percentage calculation, and then use winning percentage to determine the champion. For example, 10-0-4 (34 points) is worse than 13-1-0 (39 points) in soccer, but in football 10-0-4 was considered a perfect record (1.000 winning percent) compared to 13-1-0 (.929 winning percent)