Away 05/10 - Red Bulls

For all the complaints, just imagine if we played the second half of this season with this lineup:

----------Villa----Drogba-------------
Mix-----------------------------Alvarez
----------Lampard--Poku--------------
Calle----KWS---Hernandez---Facey
---------------Saunders----------------

Tweak what you want. Swap Drogba with another DP. Put Shelton in for Alvarez. Etc.

But does anyone really think this lineup couldn't string together enough wins to make a run for the last playoff spot? And as an expansion team, isn't just being in the running for a playoff spot about the right hope to have?

And, while we're at it, would love to see others' 2nd half of season dream lineups for our squad.
honestly, I think this is the plan moving forward except substitute Drogba with Nemec and Shelton off the bench to spell Nemec. Calle impressed at LB before his injury so hopefully he will be back soon and continue to impress in that role. I am a firm believer in Poku. I think he is going to be a real player for us. If we get Drogba, I won't be complaining one bit because a pairing of him and Villa up top with Lampard and Poku in the middle would pretty awesome. Let's hope all stay healthy and we see something similar to this.

This formation gives no defensive help to back line. Neither Poku nor Frank are getting back on D.
Yeah. Right now, it is Jacobson or bust in the defensive midfield and even he is arguably ideally more of a box to box guy. We need a real holding mid who can distribute.

Yeah. Right now, it is Jacobson or bust in the defensive midfield and even he is arguably ideally more of a box to box guy. We need a real holding mid who can distribute.
I think his ideal position is in more of a dugout to dugout kind of role. but that goes for most of our team.

I don't know where Jacobson gets the reputation as a box to box guy. This year he has been strong in defense and very weak in distribution, he turned over the first pass constantly. He's been best when played as a destroyer between the center backs. In a pseudo 3 man back line.

I think his ideal position is in more of a dugout to dugout kind of role. but that goes for most of our team.
giphy.gif

This formation gives no defensive help to back line. Neither Poku nor Frank are getting back on D.
You know I keep hearing things like this about certain formations about the mid not helping defenses and said player will not get back enough etc etc etc.....people forget a crucial part of a successful team is to have a midfield that can hold on to the ball and not panic when teams are pressuring. That is an important part of having a good defense as much, if not more then having, Central Mids rushing back and trying to help the backline etc.....A good team has possession with a purpose, in order to do this you need people that are comfortable with the ball at their feet thus, having Lampard, Mix, Poku, and Alvarez in the Mid in some shape or another is key. Whether that is a diamond Mid, or a straight mid, you need the best ball skill players in mid.

I don't know where Jacobson gets the reputation as a box to box guy. This year he has been strong in defense and very weak in distribution, he turned over the first pass constantly. He's been best when played as a destroyer between the center backs. In a pseudo 3 man back line.
To me Jacobsen has been AWFUL. He won't be in the league for much longer.

You know I keep hearing things like this about certain formations about the mid not helping defenses and said player will not get back enough etc etc etc.....people forget a crucial part of a successful team is to have a midfield that can hold on to the ball and not panic when teams are pressuring. That is an important part of having a good defense as much, if not more then having, Central Mids rushing back and trying to help the backline etc.....A good team has possession with a purpose, in order to do this you need people that are comfortable with the ball at their feet thus, having Lampard, Mix, Poku, and Alvarez in the Mid in some shape or another is key. Whether that is a diamond Mid, or a straight mid, you need the best ball skill players in mid.
Agreed, Poku doesn't need to constantly track back since he can actually hold on to the ball.

Agreed, Poku doesn't need to constantly track back since he can actually hold on to the ball.
Poku's ball skills are vastly underrated in my opinion. Look at the move he pulled vs Redbull before he made the pass to RJ Allen for our lone goal. Also, look at how many balls he sends long to our strikers that are just absolutely perfect. Then our forwards proceed to not do anything with the ball but thats for another topic. Poku needs to play more, start, maybe its conditioning, maybe Kries is just taking it slow with him and we will see him more as the season progresses but he needs to play more. Players like Toure at Man City, at his prime, are such great players. They are strong, very good defenders and backtrack quite nicely but also have good ball skills and provide very good service. Let's hope Poku continues to improve but he needs to play more.

Poku's ball skills are vastly underrated in my opinion. Look at the move he pulled vs Redbull before he made the pass to RJ Allen for our lone goal. Also, look at how many balls he sends long to our strikers that are just absolutely perfect. Then our forwards proceed to not do anything with the ball but thats for another topic. Poku needs to play more, start, maybe its conditioning, maybe Kries is just taking it slow with him and we will see him more as the season progresses but he needs to play more. Players like Toure at Man City, at his prime, are such great players. They are strong, very good defenders and backtrack quite nicely but also have good ball skills and provide very good service. Let's hope Poku continues to improve but he needs to play more.
I had that exact play in mind when thinking of him. to receive that ball, corral it under pressure and deliver the perfect pass to Allen is something we are missing. Our other midfielders do not have the touch to settle that ball under pressure. Except mix.

I had that exact play in mind when thinking of him. to receive that ball, corral it under pressure and deliver the perfect pass to Allen is something we are missing. Our other midfielders do not have the touch to settle that ball under pressure. Except mix.
You two are both voicing why I think this quad of Mix/Poku/Lamp/Alva makes sense. Good control. Best skill set available. Tracking back should be the coach's job to get the right players to support the D and get them to buy in to do so. But playing weaker talent because they have a history of being defensive minded seems like a recipe for a long and painful season.

You two are both voicing why I think this quad of Mix/Poku/Lamp/Alva makes sense. Good control. Best skill set available. Tracking back should be the coach's job to get the right players to support the D and get them to buy in to do so. But playing weaker talent because they have a history of being defensive minded seems like a recipe for a long and painful season.

Exactly right. You show me a team that plays midfielders because they have the lungs and mindset to defend and help backline as their top priority and I will show you a team that is scrapping at the bottom of the league. Yes their is certain formations that prioritize defense from a midfielder as opposed to offense such as the CDM in a diamond mid. Even still that CDM is the first or second outlet pass depending on which way the team wants to attack, either through the midfield or putting the left or right mid in a good position to advance. With the mindset of, "let's play this guy because he can get back better...." your really saying, shit, we can't hold on to the ball anyway, and we can't get the ball to our forwards, so my name is JEFFFF-it...let's put said player here because he can help out the backline.

That's a loser mentality. Granted we are losing quite a lot but you don't change the losing by focusing on defense from the mid.

Exactly right. You show me a tea that plays midfielders because they have the lungs and mindset to defend and help backline as their top priority and I will show you a team that is scrapping at the bottom of the league. Yes their is certain formations that prioritize defense from a midfielder as opposed to offense such as the CDM in a diamond mid. Even still that CDM is the first or second outlet pass depending on which way the team wants to attack, either through the midfield or putting the left or right mid in a good position to advance. With the mindset of, "let's play this guy because he can get back better...." your really saying, shit, we can't hold on to the ball anyway, and we can't get the ball to our forwards, so my name is JEFFFF-it...let's put said player here because he can help out the backline.

That's a loser mentality. Granted we are losing quite a lot but you don't change the losing by focusing on defense from the mid.
Which all comes from playing an old slow short guy as your CB, who has never played there consistently before.

Not saying defense is not important. It is VERY IMPORTANT but the guys who are responsible for the DEFENSE is the backline and the Goalie. Communication from the Goalie is CRUCIAL!!!! Not only to the backline but to the mid. Trust me, I used to play GK at a pretty decent level and when the opposing team is coming towards you, the number one thing as a GK you need to do is look at the numbers in front and be the extra eyes for your backline and and tell each who to pick up from the opposing team( their two strikers and usually 1 or two mids)

Which all comes from playing an old slow short guy as your CB, who has never played there consistently before.
As if we need more fuel for this fire, add on that our current approach has netted 7 goals in 10 games, I believe at least 2 of which came while playing a man up. I'd welcome a completely offensive minded midfield. I'd even be happy to lose if we could lose 4-3. But let's at least try a lineup that could score a few.

I just got the e-mail below from NYRB since I bought tickets to last Sunday's game. Notice the far left. Apparently they are so excited by their victory, they are still trying to sell tickets for the match. How professional.

Pick the matches that fit your schedule.

CALL 1.877.727.6223 TO PURCHASE

As if we need more fuel for this fire, add on that our current approach has netted 7 goals in 10 games, I believe at least 2 of which came while playing a man up. I'd welcome a completely offensive minded midfield. I'd even be happy to lose if we could lose 4-3. But let's at least try a lineup that could score a few.
That's a nice sentiment, but the reality is that you need midfielders who at least can defend. A 4-3-3 is never going to happen with this team, with this roster and this coach. And I'm not convinced that we have the players up top to truly take advantage of a offensive midfield. Your 4-3 loss would be a 4-1 loss.

And I also agree that Jacobsen isn't the best to be the "shield" for the defense, he is the best we got. I still think a 4-2-3-1 works best and gives Frank somewhere to slot in and help. Although I wish we had someone besides Poku or a Mix to help AJ at the d-mid position.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Not sure where to post but I thought in here should be okay!
Just want to say thanks to everyone at the club for a great night out at this game...I was over from the Scottish highlands (Celtic fan) and got the chance to get to the game with all you NYCFC fans and was very impressed! Hard loss but atmosphere was way better than expected.

Hats off to you all and thank you!
I hope to get to a game next season and if any of you are in Scotland message me and I'll get you to a Celtic game!

Cheers

Back