Away - 6/30 Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am much more optimistic regarding both Medina’s talent and Domè’s ability to unlock it / put it to good use. This board likes its scapegoats, but I think a little patience with Medina will pay off just fine. Let’s see where we are at the end of the season.

Medina is only 21. I don't think he's unlocked his potential. He deserves time to develop. Should he be a DP? Maybe not this season, but hopefully in future seasons he blossoms into that type of player.

Honest question- Is English not your first language?

Adam and Ulrich obviously both understood the distinction where it seems to be hopelessly lost on you and I just can’t understand why.
Rolling dice is what people call a metaphor for chance. There's chance in everything. Nothing is "certifed." Some dice have less elements of chance than others. Not a hard concept.

Rolling dice is what people call a metaphor for chance. There's chance in everything. Nothing is "certifed." Some dice have less elements of chance than others. Not a hard concept.
Actually, no, dice inherently have the same percentage chance to land on one side as another. And you’re conveniently moving the goal posts.

And yes, there are things that are “certified” in life.

Medina has shown flashes. He's shown the same flash as Jonathan Lewis has. One is a non cap player and one is a DP.

In MLS, you need to judge every player by their performance relative to contract.

Sorry I'm gonna have to stop you right there.

Whoa wait I went back and saw this thread is full of Jesus hate. What is wrong with y'all.

Promising player. Performance hasn't matched the investment yet.

Reactions: dummyrun
Promising player. Performance hasn't matched the investment yet.

Medina's still settling into the team but his performance already justifies his base compensation. (The abridged case: he's 69th in compensation, 71st in NPxG+xA.) You could argue about the DP slot and transfer fee, but we don't actually know the transfer fee and the DP slot would probably otherwise have gone to Berget this season, in which case using it on Medina saves us $300k cap space.

As for promise, that's part of what we're investing in. There are few if any better players Medina's age in MLS. Of guys who are on his level but younger, Barco cost at least three times as much and Davies will be an MLS record sale when he leaves. Slightly older guys who are on the level we'd like to see Medina reach in a year or two, like Almirón, Elis, and Villalba, all showed huge improvement between their first and second seasons. Give Medina a year to develop under Torrent and then tell me how you feel about the signing.

Last edited:

So like I said - “not guaranteed” is not the same as a random outcome where the likelihood of all outcomes is the same (roll of the dice).

You could have an outcome of something that is 99% likely. It’s still not guaranteed. But No roll of the dice, literally or metaphorically, has an single outcome with a 99% chance of happening.

Either you’re changing your definitions in an exercise of intellecutal dishonesty; you misunderstand how “roll the dice” is used metaphorically (it means all possible outcomes are equally likely, more or less); or you’re contradicting yourself. Or some combination of the three, which is not guaranteed, but 99% likely.

There is a noticeable trend of you using bad logic to shit on people who you don’t agree with (or dismissing them, e.g. calling them “naive” and educating them about how real life works- who the F are you anyway) and then pretending you said something other than what you did. I’m calling bullshit directly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulrich
Medina's still settling into the team but his performance already justifies his base compensation. (The abridged case: he's 69th in compensation, 71st in NPxG+xA.) You could argue about the DP slot and transfer fee, but we don't actually know the transfer fee and the DP slot would probably otherwise have gone to Berget this season, in which case using it on Medina saves us $300k cap space.

As for promise, that's part of what we're investing in. There are few if any better players Medina's age in MLS. Of guys who are on his level but younger, Barco cost at least three times as much and Davies will be an MLS record sale when he leaves. Slightly older guys who are on the level we'd like to see Medina reach in a year or two, like Almirón, Elis, and Villalba, all showed huge improvement between their first and second seasons. Give Medina a year to develop under Torrent and then tell me how you feel about the signing.

Sorry but this is MLS. This isn't like saying Neymar outperformed his $15 Million salary and his transfer fee doesn't matter. Every MLS player needs to be judged on their total compensation effect on the roster. Medina is no different. He's great value at a $200,000 cap hit, you are right. He's not great value as a DP.

Apologies on bringing in some chatter on the upcoming game in here, but it looks like a vast majority of the Chicago supporters will be boycotting this game as apparently the Chicago FO took a very heavy hand approach in banning a complete section after a smoke bomb went off in a recent match.

Apologies on bringing in some chatter on the upcoming game in here, but it looks like a vast majority of the Chicago supporters will be boycotting this game as apparently the Chicago FO took a very heavy hand approach in banning a complete section after a smoke bomb went off in a recent match.

Who the hell lights a smoke bomb in a stadium?

It’s true- you can’t fix stupid but you can give it a court date.

Reactions: Kjbert
Who the hell lights a smoke bomb in a stadium?

It’s true- you can’t fix stupid but you can give it a court date.
4ea98023f48874f0e1e65433c8f574a8--smoke-bombs-new-york-city-fc.jpg

Reactions: Fake Jew
Medina has shown flashes. He's shown the same flash as Jonathan Lewis has. One is a non cap player and one is a DP.

In MLS, you need to judge every player by their performance relative to contract.

I think where I find the fault in these arguments is that we're assuming this is what he is, there will be no growth, no improvement.

This kid is 21 years old and living in a foreign country for the first time. Maybe next season he starts to see his potential. Maybe he never does. But a disappointing 2018 season doesn't mean the kid is a bust and a waste of a DP. In the offseason we saw quotes saying this kid would be something of a project. I think we all see his skill, the question is whether he can put it all together.

I understand we want a guy who can be an immediate star, but if we can develop him into something more than what he already is, that's a win. Even if it doesn't happen this year.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Regarding Medina, what you want to be getting when signing a Young DP is Miguel Almiron. He had 9 goals and 14 assists last year and is on target for 12 and 14 this year. He was also 23 when he started last year.

Of course you could also cite Barco, who is just getting going with 11 starts and having only 3 goals and 1 assist, which isn't great, but he was hurt and is only 19.

Medina has 2 goals and 6 assists and is 21.

I think where I find the fault in these arguments is that we're assuming this is what he is, there will be no growth, no improvement.

This kid is 21 years old and living in a foreign country for the first time. Maybe next season he starts to see his potential. Maybe he never does. But a disappointing 2018 season doesn't mean the kid is a bust and a waste of a DP. In the offseason we saw quotes saying this kid would be something of a project. I think we all see his skill, the question is whether he can put it all together.

I understand we want a guy who can be an immediate star, but if we can develop him into something more than what he already is, that's a win. Even if it doesn't happen this year.

But will we get the final product?

Reactions: Ulrich
Status
Not open for further replies.