Away - 8/18 Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came here to ask just this question. Good. Play the damn kids.

Reactions: JayH
I've always wondered if practices give a false sense of ability because playing against teammates 5 days in a row for months gives a player's opposite an innate understanding of their tendencies and moves in certain situations. Not saying it can't also go both ways, but certain players can just match up well against others due to differences in physical traits and technical styles.

If Villa and the other forwards have figured Chanot out because they know to press to a certain side or something similar, then Ibeagha could look better because he doesn't try to QB the passing and instead just gets rid of it; or if Villa and Maxi and the others have a harder time against Ibeagha's larger more physical style, that too could make him shine better. But when both are playing opponents unfamiliar with their styles, Chanot could be the gamer of the two because he's calmer on the ball and forces teams to respect his distribution, whereas teams that have big forwards can nullify Ibeagha's presence and press him into unsettled passes or just kicking it into a clearance.

It's kinda like TMac.... I'm convinced he's great in practice because he likely knows how every teammate plays and that fools the coaches into a false sense of his ability that is undressed in games where the opponent does things differently from what he's used to experiencing.

or, maybe Ibeagha really is better and just gets ruffled under the pressure during matches.

You should get in touch with Dome and get him up to speed on this ASAP.

Reactions: mgarbowski
You should get in touch with Dome and get him up to speed on this ASAP.
How do you know we dont meet each week for espresso and biscotti and talk shop???

I don’t think it’s an issue with just Soccer, I see it every year with college football where certain players are described as amazing in practice and the alpha dogs, and yet then get thrashed and owned for multiple games in a row before their (underachieving) backup gets on the field and holds down the position for the rest of the season, and the game statistics show it was the right move.

How do you know we dont meet each week for espresso and biscotti and talk shop???

I don’t think it’s an issue with just Soccer, I see it every year with college football where certain players are described as amazing in practice and the alpha dogs, and yet then get thrashed and owned for multiple games in a row before their (underachieving) backup gets on the field and holds down the position for the rest of the season, and the game statistics show it was the right move.

This reminds me of the college football title game this year. The Alabama starter craps the bed in the first half. Then the backup comes in who didn't play a snap all season and was touted as a star from recruitment and the spring game and wins the game for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.