Away - Toronto 5/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
We earned the right to throw out the B team with two wins on a three game road trip. RBNJ have not. I wouldn't be surprised to see Toronto rest a bunch of players. I think we'll see almost a complete B team. But I've been wrong before (every time)

We earned the right to throw out the B team with two wins on a three game road trip. RBNJ have not. I wouldn't be surprised to see Toronto rest a bunch of players. I think we'll see almost a complete B team. But I've been wrong before (every time)
I definitely don't want to lose to RB, but I'd rather try and bank 3 points against Toronto with as many fit 1st team players as we can field rather than just fielding a B squad, especially if Toronto may be playing their B. Because running out our B versus there's is no guarantee of points and in any rivalry game, talent many times goes out the window which means RB could pull a feather out of their collective asses. Take the 3 north of the border with our aces, and then put our best team possible out against RB, and if the cards fall in our favor, we could have 6.

I'm sure this isn't the tactic a lot of folk will want, since it's not prioritizing RB, but banking points is better than betting on them.

Reactions: mgarbowski and Gene

Red Bull is playing at home, so no (major) travel for Saturday's match. They're playing the worst team in MLS (arguably). They need 3 points. They'll be playing their top players.

Toronto has scored 13 goals this season. Giovinco scored 8 of them and assisted on the other 5. The guy is killing this league. We have to shut him down.

I remember him in that first game. We defending him rather well, but he manufactured one goal, and almost got another one all by himself by running across the defense until he got the slightest opening. He is one to behold.

Reactions: Kjbert
I remember him in that first game. We defending him rather well, but he manufactured one goal, and almost got another one all by himself by running across the defense until he got the slightest opening. He is one to behold.
Stupid thought, if we have the choice between Giovinco and one of the following: zlantan, messi or CR, taking into account Of all the other factors: pay difference, age, extra ticket sales, prestige etc, whom would you rather have?

Stupid thought, if we have the choice between Giovinco and one of the following: zlantan, messi or CR, taking into account Of all the other factors: pay difference, age, extra ticket sales, prestige etc, whom would you rather have?
CR - no question at all on it. He's tough/strong enough to handle MLS's physical style and create his own shot, and the club would sell a zillion shirts. Messi needs service and I really don't think he's suited to the toughness of the league nor some of the small pitches (not that I wouldn't take him). Zlantan any day but between him and CR, it's still CR. Gio may top Zlantan if only because he'd be around longer, but Messi and CR over him.

Reactions: BEC SPK
There's no need to trust the players on how they feel - the guys have been wearing the HR vests under their jerseys - you can see the sweat pattern at times during games around it (they are those black crop pennies you see in the training pics). By having those, the coaches can mine the data on heart rate, distance covered, overall effort, etc and can gauge the health and recovery of players. It's not new technology - lots of college football teams use it, FSU being the first. Anyway, in practice today and tomorrow, the coaches will be able to see who's body is struggling with recovery. That said, there may be players that want to tough it out, but I bet the coaches won't allow it.
You love that Nole dingdong flavor, don't you?

Reactions: Kjbert
It's been mentioned that Villa is playing sublime football right now.... anybody else notice that Villa has also stopped pouting mid-game and instead runs-down every ball like a fore-checking hockey forward? I do not think the correlation is a coincidence.
I attribute this to me point out him being a bitch directly leading to a goal last year.

So #youreallwelcome.

I've seen the club press release for the game. It suggests that only a couple of regulars will be sitting tonight. Mendoza will be up front with Mac moving back. Khiry and El Capitan will be up top too, which suggests adding Mendoza might be as much about getting more speed up top than letting someone rest. AI will start too.

All this could change, of course - there are usually 1-2 differences.

Cr

I've seen the club press release for the game. It suggests that only a couple of regulars will be sitting tonight. Mendoza will be up front with Mac moving back. Khiry and El Capitan will be up top too, which suggests adding Mendoza might be as much about getting more speed up top than letting someone rest. AI will start too.

I think AI needs to be in there. RJ's ankle I'm sure could use a full week of rest.

My guess is there will be more than the usual 1-2 differences this game. I think there will be some lineup changes due to rest and that these were not reflected in the release either because the decisions weren't made in time or the club is keeping that info under wraps (or combo of both).

Status
Not open for further replies.