Home - 03/28 Sporting Kc

Frustrating game for sure.

I thought Brovsky was ok. You are all so hard on him but I can guarantee you'd miss him if he wasn't on the pitch. I was particularly impressed with his leadership when Kwame COMPLETELY lost his marker in the box. He tore Kwame a new asshole and it was great. He blew that opportunity to level the game but it happens. Great cross from T Mac!

Calle was weird for me. I didn't like his play at all. Not even going to talk about him much. Just yuck.

Poku... LOVE THIS PLAYER! Composed, strong and has vision.

Kwame was awful. Had a nice play or two but I was not impressed at all.

I agree on Jeb. He's no world beater, but he ran into space a lot on the right attacking (a lot more often then they actually got the ball out to him) and he wasn't awful tracking back to defend. What really stood out was a couple moments like that, where he just went off on poor defending in the box. I like seeing a player told off when he deserves it, one of my favorite things about watching Tim Howard at Everton (even as shit as he's been this season) is how animated he gets when the back line lets him down.

Calle also. His passing and decisions to take the shot were strange. There was one moment in the first half that Mullins made a nice run into the box just as Calle skyed it into the bleachers from the 25. Of course my opinion may have been colored by the kid sitting behind me who kept yelling Calle is awful, even after he was no longer on the pitch.

Poku. Yeah.

I didn't think Kwame was awful, but that yellow card challenge definitely was. From my angle he got nothing of the ball on that.

I didn't think Kwame was awful, but that yellow card challenge definitely was. From my angle he got nothing of the ball on that.
I also want to at least somewhat stick up for Kwame. He defended a couple of balls early that led to corner kicks, including the one they scored on. I wasn't sure whether to credit him for making the play and getting the ball out of a dangerous position, or blame him for doing so imperfectly. Despite the bad result on one of the corners I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt as it didn't seem his positioning or form was off; it probably was the best result we could have reasonably hoped for. Later I thought he got stronger, but yeah, that challenge was ugly.

I also want to at least somewhat stick up for Kwame. He defended a couple of balls early that led to corner kicks, including the one they scored on. I wasn't sure whether to credit him for making the play and getting the ball out of a dangerous position, or blame him for doing so imperfectly. Despite the bad result on one of the corners I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt as it didn't seem his positioning or form was off; it probably was the best result we could have reasonably hoped for. Later I thought he got stronger, but yeah, that challenge was ugly.

The one they scored on was actually a good challenge because he kept it from being a corner. Can't put it on Kwame that the whole team was unprepared for the long throw and Opara's height on that header.

The one they scored on was actually a good challenge because he kept it from being a corner. Can't put it on Kwame that the whole team was unprepared for the long throw and Opara's height on that header.
With the narrow pitch they better be prepared for more long throws from that position!!!

My gosh you're right. I just went back and looked at the DVR'd replay. That corner is visible to me from my seat in the stadium, but the angle is bad, and I couldn't see where the ball went out. Then I saw the players line up as if for a corner, and I focused on the pitch and not the throw-in, and when it came in so strong I just assumed it was a corner.

Speaking of narrow, KC claimed that the field was 2 feet even narrower than advertised. (68 instead of 70). If true (even if not) teams are going to treat throw-ins as a set piece. We have to have someone who can heave the ball and take advantage of that for us as well. We should master the angles and the wind flow and train someone to long toss the ball and make it a home field advantage.

I think Calle is just having a hard time adjusting to life in NY. It's cold, its big, its in English (well, partly), everything his life back home wasn't.

I thought he looked kind of frustrated himself in what we've all been saying: no one was really shooting! I took his long range shots as more of a message like "I'd rather shoot this horribly desperate shot, than pass it to you guys and let you guys pass it around until we lose possession, again. "
Doesn't help that he was played out of position

Not like they had much of an option.
I actually quibble quite strongly with kreis lineup. We all saw TT do a workable David Villa impersonation in preseason. He makes the most sense to replace him when he is out. Calle should have been in there for ballouchy, who offers nothing. And trotting AJ out there after watching poku seems criminal.

I guess he is sticking with his vets as long as possible while he brings in the new guys, but the talent in undeniable in those guys. Not to mention McNamara. That guy can play

I actually quibble quite strongly with kreis lineup. We all saw TT do a workable David Villa impersonation in preseason. He makes the most sense to replace him when he is out. Calle should have been in there for ballouchy, who offers nothing. And trotting AJ out there after watching poku seems criminal.

I guess he is sticking with his vets as long as possible while he brings in the new guys, but the talent in undeniable in those guys. Not to mention McNamara. That guy can play

Yeah if I had to compare Kreis to a HC in another sport he reminds me of Popovich HC of the San Antonio Spurs, well play experience over talent till he feels they are ready or have to.

Really? I was right behind the goal we were attacking so I couldn't see build up etc, but he is good on the ball from what I could see
Agree. He did what he should have. Forced the issue late. What else could he have done? Probably could have made a couple of better decisions, but at least he was pushing.

Calle really is an odd duck. I don't quite know what to make of him just yet. I'll say that he certainly has the audacity of a world class Colombian player. And since he's not yet Brosky, I'll leave it at that.

Eta:

Yeah, Grabavoy is fucking shot. His whole value is coaching other players. He's just not up for it otherwise.

I don't get the Mullins hate, as I see a guy who was busting his ass and doing all he could to help the team get close to the box, whether via him or space he opened out of sheer will to run.

I do get the hate on the lineup. I just don't get how we have Poku on the side and play any MF other than Mix. Truly, aside from Mix, he's the best mid we have. And yet he's over on the sideline looking at instagrams of him and Yaya for all I know. Total waste. I have a post on here from weeks back about how we absolutely need him to be a starter, and yet Kreis just now gets him on.

Sometimes, I fear that Kreis is just too safe. It's that sort of attitude that keeps running out "my picture is next to milquetoast in the dictionary" AJ, and keeps a talent like Poku on the bench.

Fucking reminds me of David Cutcliffe keeping Patrick Willis on the bench at Ole Miss. For what? To play a senior who knows the system but isn't physically capable of executing. That's what Jacobsen is.

He's a fucking hedge. I've always liked pushing my chips to the middle.

As Mikey McDermott would say, you can't lose what you don't put in the pot, but you sure as hell won't win very much either.

Push in, Jason. Stop being a pussy.

Last edited:
Agree. He did what he should have. Forced the issue late. What else could he have done? Probably could have made a couple of better decisions, but at least he was pushing.

Calle really is an odd duck. I don't quite know what to make of him just yet. I'll say that he certainly has the audacity of a world class Colombian player. And since he's not yet Brosky, I'll leave it at that.

Eta:

Yeah, Grabavoy is fucking shot. His whole value is coaching other players. He's just not up for it otherwise.

I don't get the Mullins hate, as I see a guy who was busting his ass and doing all he could to help the team get close to the box, whether via him or space he opened out of sheer will to run.

I do get the hate on the lineup. I just don't get how we have Poku on the side and play any MF other than Mix. Truly, aside from Mix, he's the best mid we have. And yet he's over on the sideline looking at instagrams of him and Yaya for all I know. Total waste. I have a post on here from weeks back about how we absolutely need him to be a starter, and yet Kreis just now gets him on.

Sometimes, I fear that Kreis is just too safe. It's that sort of attitude that keeps running out "my picture is next to milquetoast in the dictionary" AJ, and keeps a talent like Poku on the bench.

Fucking reminds me of David Cutcliffe keeping Patrick Willis on the bench at Ole Miss. For what? To play a senior who knows the system but isn't physically capable of executing. That's what Jacobsen is.

As Mikey McDermott would say, you can't lose what you don't put in the pot, but you sure as hell won't win very much either.

Spot on, especially about McNamara and Poku. In limited minutes these two guys were far more dangerous than any of the starting midfielders. McNamara attacked off the dribble a few times and also put in that beautiful left footed cross that Brovsky should have finished (or at a bare minimum gotten on frame). It wasn't until I got home from the game and saw a replay that I realized that he never even got his head on the ball and it hit off of his arm instead. That just should not happen at this level.

Poku was a great physical presence in the middle of the park and I thought he showed some good composure on the ball. I would have liked to have seen him pull the trigger a few times when he had it at the top of the box. A couple of poor/forced passes from both of them, but that's because they were in there to push the issue and try to get the equalizer. Down 1-0 with 10 minutes left is not the time to play it safe. I know Kreis preaches possession but we have too many midfielders who are content to just go sideways or backwards even when they have the time and space to turn the ball upfield. I hope that Poku and McNamara are now at least on the coaches' radar to get some increased minutes in the coming weeks.

I think they are asking too much of Grabavoy. He's a solid veteran who can teach the younger guys a lot, but at this point in his career I just don't think he's a 90 minute guy week in and week out.

Honestly, I know it's still early days, but I'm starting to think that Kreis is less concerned about getting results at this point than he is about slowly letting things gel and trying players out in a somewhat established context. I'm just thinking about all the comments he's made about expansion teams not getting it together in their first season, the lineups he's fielded, the fact that our overall roster isn't quite where he would have wanted it to be (thanks Frank) and so on. I get the feeling that we might make a more concerted push after the summer window, when we bring in a new name or two.

To put things in perspective, the Rev's were 1-1-2 at this point last season and went on an 8 game loosing streak May-July, but they still almost won the cup. I'm getting the feeling that Kreis is taking a bit more of a patient approach to this season than many of us.

Honestly, I know it's still early days, but I'm starting to think that Kreis is less concerned about getting results at this point than he is about slowly letting things gel and trying players out in a somewhat established context. I'm just thinking about all the comments he's made about expansion teams not getting it together in their first season, the lineups he's fielded, the fact that our overall roster isn't quite where he would have wanted it to be (thanks Frank) and so on. I get the feeling that we might make a more concerted push after the summer window, when we bring in a new name or two.

To put things in perspective, the Rev's were 1-1-2 at this point last season and went on an 8 game loosing streak May-July, but they still almost won the cup. I'm getting the feeling that Kreis is taking a bit more of a patient approach to this season than many of us.

I think you are spot on there Ahab.

He is watching what players are doing and how they react. One thing we don't know is what they are told in the dressing room and only he can see if they (the players) are reacting correctly.

At some point further down the season and indeed in seasons to come, there are going to be an awful lot of situations in which everything seems to be going wrong, bad ref calls, injuries, suspensions, etc etc and he needs to know quickly, who he can trust and more importantly who can adapt positively.

Eta:

I'd pay to watch you coach a u-10 team :D

Jermanie Jones