Home - Orlando 03/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
ugh, friday night game and it's march madness.

MLS starts up their season at the worst time of the year . . . the lead up to March Madness and then the actual tournament.

ugh, friday night game and it's march madness.

MLS starts up their season at the worst time of the year . . . the lead up to March Madness and then the actual tournament.
I guess it all depends who you are. For me MLS starts at the perfect time. I couldn't care less about College Basketball, baseball, the NBA, or hockey. MLS takes me up to the NFL season beautifully.

Everyone keeps talking about Eirik Johansen, how good is he? I've not been able to watch him play/practice so I can't say he is better than Saunders or not. Curious to hear from those that have seen both and can give fair analysis.
The problem is we kind of just don't know. The only match he played in was against the Cosmos last year. He did well but it was only one match. That was one of the bummers of losing that first Open Cup match, is that we didn't get to see more of Johansen.

I guess it all depends who you are. For me MLS starts at the perfect time. I couldn't care less about College Basketball, baseball, the NBA, or hockey. MLS takes me up to the NFL season beautifully.

Round of applause for S1ARK5 S1ARK5 for being one of the 15 people who still use this phrase correctly. It almost makes my eyes or ears bleed when someone says that "they could care less."

The problem is we kind of just don't know. The only match he played in was against the Cosmos last year. He did well but it was only one match. That was one of the bummers of losing that first Open Cup match, is that we didn't get to see more of Johansen.
He looked good in preseason - much better than Saunders did.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
If anyone ended up using the coupon code I posted, please message me. It's supposed to send a reciprocal coupon to me when it's used so not sure if there's an error or if nobody ended up using it. Thanks.

Wasn't Johansen playing when we gave up two goals in stoppage time?
Against FC Cincinnati? I think he did give them up, but that was a game with the subs playing, and I'm not sure if any subs looked competent in the preseason, so manning the net for them doesn't tell the entire tale.

He looked good in preseason - much better than Saunders did.
Yeah, I was going to say something about pre-season in my post but didn't want to muddy the waters. Bottom line is that practices and pre-season just don't count the way in-season games do. Yes, they have value as you can try weird formations or see how players do in roles they don't get much chance to have but none of that counts when it comes to gametime. I agree, he did look good in pre-season. Vieira went with Saunders though and I'm fine with that because he knows way more than any of us. And if he changes to Johansen at some point I'd be OK with that too.

Basically, I'm 100% behind Vieira's decisions, but I also realize we've only played one match so far so who knows what may happen as the season progresses.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Yeah, I was going to say something about pre-season in my post but didn't want to muddy the waters. Bottom line is that practices and pre-season just don't count the way in-season games do. Yes, they have value as you can try weird formations or see how players do in roles they don't get much chance to have but none of that counts when it comes to gametime. I agree, he did look good in pre-season. Vieira went with Saunders though and I'm fine with that because he knows way more than any of us. And if he changes to Johansen at some point I'd be OK with that too.

Basically, I'm 100% behind Vieira's decisions, but I also realize we've only played one match so far so who knows what may happen as the season progresses.
ugh.... two matches.....

Reactions: Christopher Jee
If PV does use a 3-3-4 as suggested (by EOS), who are the 4? PM in the middle with DV and KS and TT on the wings? RM on the left wing with DV and PM in the middle, with one of KS or TT on the other wing? RM on the left wing with TT or KS moving to the middle with DV, and the other staying on the RW? Poku in the front 4? Mendoza in the front 4 (seems unlikely if the PV quote according to EOS is on point)? If this comes to fruition, it will be very interesting to see who starts up front, and also fun to watch.

That's not the issue. The issue is the early season games will do (really) bad TV numbers, which is bad for the league as a whole.

FWIW, mlssoccer.com now has Kaka listed as "a game time decision" as to whether or not he's playing tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.