Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Figure it would be best to get this up a bit early. With the Wednesday game there will be plenty to discuss.

Game Info

Saturday 05/21
Kickoff - 3:00

Do you guys say "dar-bee" or "dur-bee" when you say Hudson River Derby?

If you say it the English way, why? I'm genuinely curious.

Because saying derby in that context is borrowed from an English usage. I pronounce Kentucky derby differently. Americans would rather call the situation a rivalry but since the term in world football is derby I use that.

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
Do you guys say "dar-bee" or "dur-bee" when you say Hudson River Derby?

If you say it the English way, why? I'm genuinely curious.
It's a dar-bee. Because that's what it is, at least when discussing soccer.

A dur-bee is a general sporting event, like your local fishing derby down at the creek. A dar-bee is specifically a sporting event between two local rivals.

Started with a horse race in the town of Dar-bee:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-der1.htm

Because saying derby in that context is borrowed from an English usage. I pronounce Kentucky derby differently. Americans would rather call the situation a rivalry but since the term in world football is derby I use that.
Ok, that makes sense. It was pointed out to me that I say "prem-ear league" as the English do when talking about the league but pronounce it the American way "pruh-meer" when talking about movies, or anything else, so I wanted to know if anyone else was as strange as I am.

Reactions: Kjbert and Vito
A derby in horse racing has nothing to do with local rivalries, is directly derived from that same horse race, and is promounced "duhrby" in the US and "dahrby" in the UK.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_(horse_race)

The English pronounce it "Dahrby" regardless of whether a local rivalry is involved, or if it is soccer, horse racing, or some other sport. It has come to be used a lot in connection with local rivalry events, but that usage is not exclusive, and again, the pronunciation does not vary accordingly. Americans who say otherwise are explaining why they are affecting a UK pronunciation.

Americans pronounce it however the hell we want, which includes affecting a British pronunciation if that's what you want to do. I say "duhrby" because we fought a damn war against the Brits to have our own pronunciation, and to drop unnecessary "u" in words like color and humor. Also, I am 100% in favor of adopting as many foreign words and phrases into American English as possible, and 100% in favor of imposing American pronunciations on all of them as well.

But I am mostly opposed to anyone who see fit to correct someone else's pronunciation (not for all words, but words like this, where usage varies, and both are correct.

You pronounce thing in the accent they are supposed to be pronounced. Kentucky Derby (American). New York Derby (English).

I want a 10-0 win. Villa, Pirlo, Lampard hat tricks. Plus a Poku goal for number 10.

Villa didn't score at all against the Red Bulls last year...I'm expecting him to come out guns blazing

Reactions: Kjbert
Heads up to everyone in NYC this Thursday:

Heineken will sponsor two events as part of Rivalry Week, I'm not putting this on twitter because I don't want the jersey boys to show up so keep it to forums, and word of mouth. I told Third Rail about this so hopefully they can get it out in an email to their members so we show them NYC is blue.

In New York City, a custom-built MLS Heineken Rivalry Week Life-Sized Human Foosball footprint will pop-up in Herald Square on Thursday, May 19. The set up features a life-sized pitch created in the same fashion as the popular table game. Open for viewing and participation throughout the day, teams of four will be able to face off against each other in friendly matches. To celebrate the rivalries of the city, MLS & Heineken will feature matches showcasing some of the most passionate pairings from the Five Boroughs. This event is free and open to the public, 21 and over, from 8:00am ET to 6:00pm ET.

Following the Foosball pop-up in Herald Square, Buffalo Wild Wings in Times Square will host a MLS Heineken Rivalry Week Celebration from 6:00pm–8:00pm ET on Thursday, May 19. NYCFC and NY Red Bull players will make appearances for photos and autographs, and the coveted MLS Cup will also be present. Heineken foosball tables, MLS jerseys and soccer balls, and NYCFC game tickets will all be given away to fans, in addition to Heineken beer specials.

Heineken will sponsor two events as part of Rivalry Week, I'm not putting this on twitter because I don't want the jersey boys to show up so keep it to forums, and word of mouth. I told Third Rail about this so hopefully they can get it out in an email to their members so we show them NYC is blue.

In New York City, a custom-built MLS Heineken Rivalry Week Life-Sized Human Foosball footprint will pop-up in Herald Square on Thursday, May 19. The set up features a life-sized pitch created in the same fashion as the popular table game. Open for viewing and participation throughout the day, teams of four will be able to face off against each other in friendly matches. To celebrate the rivalries of the city, MLS & Heineken will feature matches showcasing some of the most passionate pairings from the Five Boroughs. This event is free and open to the public, 21 and over, from 8:00am ET to 6:00pm ET.

Following the Foosball pop-up in Herald Square, Buffalo Wild Wings in Times Square will host a MLS Heineken Rivalry Week Celebration from 6:00pm–8:00pm ET on Thursday, May 19. NYCFC and NY Red Bull players will make appearances for photos and autographs, and the coveted MLS Cup will also be present. Heineken foosball tables, MLS jerseys and soccer balls, and NYCFC game tickets will all be given away to fans, in addition to Heineken beer specials.
thanks for sharing the info!

Reactions: NYCFCfan

So it should be almost completely NYCFC fans then??? :D

Reactions: Goodfella

On a side note..... if you're going to the Focus Group - do not skip it for this event Thursday night. Sometimes you gotta take one for the team and miss out on beer and free stuff.

It's time to start cherry-picking the more favorable weather forecasts. Slim pickings right now, I'm afraid.

Reactions: TabascoDiva
Sunday had Saturday as dry and 70, now we're looking at some rain and mid-low-60s. Unfortunate. If the forecast stays the way it is, we'd be looking at our first game with rain. Then again, I'd take our first game with rain with our first win over NJ over the opposite.

Reactions: Kjbert
Sunday had Saturday as dry and 70, now we're looking at some rain and mid-low-60s. Unfortunate. If the forecast stays the way it is, we'd be looking at our first game with rain. Then again, I'd take our first game with rain with our first win over NJ over the opposite.

it never rains in Section 234, Row 18 :D

Rain plus the general tendency for players to slip on the temporary grass on one side of the field. Feels like a recipe for at least one bad defensive slip in the match which creates an opportunity.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
And this year's seats under the roof are looking so much nicer now...

Seriously though, so much changes day to day that by Saturday the rain could shift to either Friday or Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.