MLS - September 22 - Red Bulls (Away) [Rescheduled]

I think he went into the game intending to "keep things under control" given the rivalry. This is such an amateurish approach and more often results in an over-officiated game, ripe for inconsistencies and unnecessary game-changing decisions. Unless it's an Avalanche/Red Wings 1990's type scenario, an official should use ordinary discretion and not message send. I never complain about officiating, but this game was a mess from that perspective throughout.
Yeah, knew it was going to be "one of those" games when Elfath took Tinny aside for a talking to/simmer down in the 1st minute. Wasn't even a hard foul a minute in, a usual soft hack trying to get the ball move that every defender makes numerous times in a game.

The red card call on parks is one of the softest red cards I’ve ever seen. I think the foul that tore Heber’s ACL wasn’t even carded. Obviously different games and different refs but damn I think Keaton barely touched the guy.

I recorded the MSG feed while watching YES app. Checked this morning and Messing said the Parks red card was soft but not clearly unwarranted. He then said the handball was a penalty but it was a close call and he could have seen it going either way.
I watched the MSG feed and felt they were really critical of RB with the exception of the Cayden Clark yellow (which they somehow thought was a foul by Sands) and the handball (which mgarbowski mgarbowski accurately describes).

Also, will missing Chanot be so terrible? His foul cost us one goal and his arm a second. His decisions/carelessness really hurt us last night.

His foul is what enabled Taty to have a clear shot at goal (which he hit directly into a RB defender, btw -- no foul, no shot, no goal.

Reactions: Kenny and SoupInNYC
I watched the MSG feed and felt they were really critical of RB with the exception of the Cayden Clark yellow (which they somehow thought was a foul by Sands) and the handball (which mgarbowski mgarbowski accurately describes).
Yeah, I had that feed as well and it was really odd that he was claiming that Clark got to the ball first when Clark never touched the ball.

Then when they showed the other angle Shep settled for "ahhh, he stepped on his foot", but also never really addressed the fact that Clark wasn't even close to winning the ball or even touching it.

Does anyone know the formal process to see if Keaton can get his card rescinded? About how long it will take and when we will know?

One other thing I remember from last night that late in the game there was a foul in the open field by a RB centerback (Reyes?) who was on a yellow but Elfath gave him a talking to and didn’t present the second yellow. Anyone else remember this?

Reactions: JayH
Also, Deila made TWO subs the whole game: Cacha (was going to be Isi but the red card changed it) and Malte for Gudi in the 90th minute.

I get the Cacha sub, but why swap Gudi who is on your back line with a few minutes to go?

Also, isn’t there anyone else on the bench who can make an impact? RB used all five subs and started at the 45th minute.

Ronny is a crap game manager and is causing this team to underperform.

Also, Deila made TWO subs the whole game: Cacha (was going to be Isi but the red card changed it) and Malte for Gudi in the 90th minute.

I get the Cacha sub, but why swap Gudi who is on your back line with a few minutes to go?

Also, isn’t there anyone else on the bench who can make an impact? RB used all five subs and started at the 45th minute.

Ronny is a crap game manager and is causing this team to underperform.
The Malte-Gudi switch I'm sure was just to get fresh legs in a spot that does a lot of running.

The main issue with the 3 ATB formation is that there are several guys that don't fit it. Thiago and Talles don't fit anywhere in it unless you take Taty off and you're not doing that. Santi can sub in for Maxi or one of the two midfield spots that Parks and Medina had. He used the d-mid sub which is the one spot in this formation where there is good depth. Maybe could put Gray in for Tinnerholm, but he wasn't in the 18.

To bring impactful players on, you'd need to change the formation away from 3 ATB. And I think once Parks picked up the red, the decision there was to just try and hold on, bringing Cacha in for Medina.

I'm not sure where else to sub out that doesn't result in a good drop off in quality, unless you change the formation.

Does anyone know the formal process to see if Keaton can get his card rescinded? About how long it will take and when we will know?
Not exactly, but they have a system set up so the decision is made before the next game. I am sure NYCFC would have to take the appeal today and the league has to decide the appeal tomorrow. They announce these decisions on the MLS Soccer website regularly (but not when an appeal is taken)

The Malte-Gudi switch I'm sure was just to get fresh legs in a spot that does a lot of running.

The main issue with the 3 ATB formation is that there are several guys that don't fit it. Thiago and Talles don't fit anywhere in it unless you take Taty off and you're not doing that. Santi can sub in for Maxi or one of the two midfield spots that Parks and Medina had. He used the d-mid sub which is the one spot in this formation where there is good depth. Maybe could put Gray in for Tinnerholm, but he wasn't in the 18.

To bring impactful players on, you'd need to change the formation away from 3 ATB. And I think once Parks picked up the red, the decision there was to just try and hold on, bringing Cacha in for Medina.

I'm not sure where else to sub out that doesn't result in a good drop off in quality, unless you change the formation.

the issue was that we were down to 10, ronny needed to change the formation anyway. i am not sure what he was trying to do with 10 on the field, but it sure as hell didn't look like a 4-4-1 .. maybe a 5-2-2? either way, it looked messy and ended up wasting a lot of energy for taty and maxi running around unnecessarily.

the biggest issue is not teaching young guys like malte how to game manage. he could have brought on jasson for maxi, who was tired i'm sure, and we know jasson knows how to game manage. kid might be a genius at it. lol.

2019, 2020, 2021. Controversial refereeing decisions against NYCFC at RBA in the Derby. Yeah, it's that bad.

And agree that there wasn't many possible subs that could have been made to change the shape. I think Santi for Maxi and Thiago for Taty were the only possible ones later in the match. Maybe Gloster for Tinnerholm?

2019, 2020, 2021. Controversial refereeing decisions against NYCFC at RBA in the Derby. Yeah, it's that bad.

And agree that there wasn't many possible subs that could have been made to change the shape. I think Santi for Maxi and Thiago for Taty were the only possible ones later in the match. Maybe Gloster for Tinnerholm?

3 years makes it a dynasty right???

The main issue with the 3 ATB formation is that there are several guys that don't fit it. Thiago and Talles don't fit anywhere in it unless you take Taty off and you're not doing that.
At the risk of revealing my ignorance, I don't see why this is the case. I do get that our FBs will spend more time forward, and there is a problem of sharing space with forward wingers. But our FBs always play forward. Is it so significantly different with 3ATB that we just cannot use forward wingers at all? And is our FB play also that different when playing 3ATB compared to 2 CBs plus Sands as D-Mid?
Or is it a completely different issue I'm completely missing?

At the risk of revealing my ignorance, I don't see why this is the case. I do get that our FBs will spend more time forward, and there is a problem of sharing space with forward wingers. But our FBs always play forward. Is it so significantly different with 3ATB that we just cannot use forward wingers at all? And is our FB play also that different when playing 3ATB compared to 2 CBs plus Sands as D-Mid?
Or is it a completely different issue I'm completely missing?
Right, we don't use wingers when we play 3 ATB.

It's 3 CBs, wingbacks, a diamond midfield that consists of a 6, two 8's, and a 10, and then Taty.

Tajouri-Shradi really doesn't fit in well anywhere there. Thiago and Talles can play in Taty's spot, but neither are really midfielders. Perhaps Talles could play as one of the 8's when we're holding on just to maintain possession, but I'm not certain about his defense at the moment.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Given Chanot is out, 3 ATB is probably out anyway for the return at YS…bring on Thiago, Isi and Talles

Yep, I think that will be what he does. And Heber wasn't even in the squad at all, so I get the sense he will use Santi, talles, taty, maxi, Thiago, Heber, Isi in some order either starting or on the bench for this next game.

The attacking depth is really crazy.

Reactions: Schwallacus
MLS digital mentioned on their podcast that after Elfath gave Parks the red, he was instructed to go review it on the monitor - did he review it on the monitor before confirming the red card?

If not, what’s the point of VAR?