MLS - September 3 - Nashville (Away)

Reiterating what I said in the U pick thread for this game but in the correct spot

“if there’s a game that I just don’t feel confident about, it’s this one. If we lose tonight, I feel like it can be justified by a B team defense and I’m okay with that.”

On that note, COYBIB!

Reactions: Schwallacus
OK, did I miss a discussion somewhere? They're showing the Yankees on YES2 on Spectrum even though the guide shows it as our match and in the app they have the match starting at 11:30.

frustrating game. we were in control for most of the game.. their attackers were more clinical than ours. whether that is up to our defense not being good enough or our attack not being better.. who knows. i kinda think it was both.

subs made us look a lot more dangerous on attack. too bad they were so late in the game.

gloster should be gudi's backup. malte has had too many bad games that cost us points. cost us vs philly. cost us tonight cause he was out of position many times. gloster had more positive touches after coming on than malte did for 75 mins.

we will be missing a lot of players next game. so let's see if all our new signings and some backup can find us some points away vs the revs...

Reactions: Kjbert
I hope Vuk learns a lot from that game because much of that loss can be tied directly to him.

If we can get at least one of the CB back from international break before New England, we have a chance. If not, the already (very) slim chance to catch them is gone.

I hope Vuk learns a lot from that game because much of that loss can be tied directly to him.

If we can get at least one of the CB back from international break before New England, we have a chance. If not, the already (very) slim chance to catch them is gone.

how was much of that loss tied to Vuk? out of the back line, he probably had the best game.

morales was weak on the ball. tinnerholm was mostly ineffective, made poor decisions tonight, and cost us the first goal. malte was a ghost who was out of position all night and turned the ball over constantly. add to that our dmid cacha who wasn't very strong at winning the ball back.. and it was a fairly general defensive lapse. but vuk had a pretty decent game for his first and first 90 mins ever.

Reactions: Revfugee
So what happened with the red cards? Didn’t watch

how was much of that loss tied to Vuk? out of the back line, he probably had the best game.

morales was weak on the ball. tinnerholm was mostly ineffective, made poor decisions tonight, and cost us the first goal. malte was a ghost who was out of position all night and turned the ball over constantly. add to that our dmid cacha who wasn't very strong at winning the ball back.. and it was a fairly general defensive lapse. but vuk had a pretty decent game for his first and first 90 mins ever.

There was blame to share, but 2 of the 3 goals were the result of poor play by Vuk - and that doesn't include the own goal.

On the first goal he failed to track a Mukhtar run, allowing Dax to lob a pass to the box. Tinnerholm had to sprint to cover and stood up Mukthar with the ball. Vuk trailed into the box late and then, with a second chance, failed to slide effectively and block the shot (something we have seen Chanot and Callens do several times).

On the third goal he kept Sapong onside.

The own goal was tough, and another instance of a poor slide (similar to the first goal), but the biggest issue with that instance was Morales failing to stop the cross. Morales may be able to play with the ball in the back, and defend vertically, but he is poor at gauging crosses and defending horizontally.

Disagree on Tinnerholm. He covered miles, contributing on offense and covering for missed assignments from a makeshift back line. I have been underwhelmed by Malte most of the season, but I actually thought he was fine tonight. He helped clear a few messes in the back, and seemed to have a better sense of position.

I'll listen to an argument that Morales was the weakest link this evening - but I doubt it would convince me. And I am 100% fine if he is off the team next year.

More should have been done with the chances created, but there were chances created. Defense was the obvious issue that game, and Latinovich was the biggest contributor.

was an uncontested drop ball cause ref stopped the game for an injury. dax touched the ball and then seemed to pass to his teammate. everyone but dax thought it was a live ball. maxi attacked to steal it and dax took him out in a nasty way because he didn't think maxi should have gone after the ball even though it was live. even the nashville commentators said it was a live ball.

after the nasty tackle and maxi's retaliation, there was a large scuffle which included medina getting headlocked (but no punishments given for this) and the 2 red cards to dax and maxi, who both high fived each other as they walked to the locker room.

against the revs, we will be missing:

maxi - red
taty, cacha, medina - yellow cards

possibly missing depending on rest/fitness:
callens, chanot, sands, gudi

Reactions: Kjbert
There was blame to share, but 2 of the 3 goals were the result of poor play by Vuk - and that doesn't include the own goal.

On the first goal he failed to track a Mukhtar run, allowing Dax to lob a pass to the box. Tinnerholm had to sprint to cover and stood up Mukthar with the ball. Vuk trailed into the box late and then, with a second chance, failed to slide effectively and block the shot (something we have seen Chanot and Callens do several times).

On the third goal he kept Sapong onside.

The own goal was tough, and another instance of a poor slide (similar to the first goal), but the biggest issue with that instance was Morales failing to stop the cross. Morales may be able to play with the ball in the back, and defend vertically, but he is poor at gauging crosses and defending horizontally.

Disagree on Tinnerholm. He covered miles, contributing on offense and covering for missed assignments from a makeshift back line. I have been underwhelmed by Malte most of the season, but I actually thought he was fine tonight. He helped clear a few messes in the back, and seemed to have a better sense of position.

I'll listen to an argument that Morales was the weakest link this evening - but I doubt it would convince me. And I am 100% fine if he is off the team next year.

More should have been done with the chances created, but there were chances created. Defense was the obvious issue that game, and Latinovich was the biggest contributor.

tinnerholm kept muktar onside for the first goal. that's why he was able to get the long ball in behind. this was not on vuk at all.

2nd goal (own goal) was a result of malte being way upfield and not recovering fast enough after santi loses the ball in a dangerous position.

3rd goal - didn't see cause i had already given up and was doign something else. lol.

Reactions: Revfugee
Dax was dumb. Maxi was alert and smart. Dax tackles Maxi. Maxi sticks up for himself. Dax looses it, players defend Maxi, Sapong (I think) puts someone in a headlock…
This game was a dumpster full of soiled diapers doused with gas and lit on fire.
I haven’t been this disappointed in a game for quite some time. It’s almost worse than Cit field 2019. I know, that sounds over the top but I walked away around 60 some minutes knowing subs would come on too late to matter and I haven’t walked away from a NYCFC match ever before. I couldn’t stand to watch the utter futility in the final third. Possession doesn’t mean squat if you can’t score. I see that I missed another goal by Taty… oh well. Wow am I aggravated.
Eric Miller. Are you kidding me? He was terrible for us… how could we not exploit that. I don’t understand Ronnie’s roster and game management at all tonight.
P. U.

Ref called for treatment for a Nashville player that was down (not serious). After treatment, there was a restart. Dax initiated play by kicking the ball twice, assuming it was a free kick and he had time to put it into position. Maxi stole the ball after the second kick and initiated an offensive move. Dax, after Maxi passed the ball forward, grabbed him by the head and knocked him down. Maxi, upset, stood up and put his hands on Dax's neck. Chaos ensued.

After the fuss, red cards were shown to both Maxi and Dax.

The biggest issue is that the ref made it unclear whether the restart was a free kick or a drop ball. In any case, once Dax kicked the ball - twice - he did not blow the whistle after Maxi took control of the ball, and no issue with the play.

The ref really should have been clearer on the restart. There were hands to face by both of them, but the ref would have been better served with two yellows in recognition that is lack of clarity started it all.

Aaaaand our lack of quality defending shows why the good leagues don't play during international breaks. I mean really, it has "break" right there in the name, ya know?

Reactions: Kenny
Aaaaand our lack of quality defending shows why the good leagues don't play during international breaks. I mean really, it has "break" right there in the name, ya know?
So, to be clear, you have some kind of a problem with intentional scheduling that, by definition, punishes clubs that go out and sign better players that are more likely to get called up for World Cup Qualifying?

Everyone has lots of complaints about MLS, but this is consistently the dumbest thing they do.

tinnerholm kept muktar onside for the first goal. that's why he was able to get the long ball in behind. this was not on vuk at all.

2nd goal (own goal) was a result of malte being way upfield and not recovering fast enough after santi loses the ball in a dangerous position.

3rd goal - didn't see cause i had already given up and was doign something else. lol.

Watched goal number one again. Tinnerholm is further back, but he also has both Sapong and Mukhtar. Latinovich has no sense of Mukhtar's position at all. I'll concur Tinnerholm contributed to an uneven back line, but Latinovich has to know where Nashville's most dangerous player is, and he is oblivious to the run. Tinnerholm also recovers and stops the initial move whereas Latinovich is slow to get back to the box.

Even if he shares blame for the first goal, he was still part of all three goals conceded. It was a tough spot for a first start, but Latinovich was still the weakest link.