Orlando (Away) - Postmatch

Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 8.07.59 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 8.10.09 AM.png
The Game Flow stat is complicated but the chart is fairly simple. Each bar represents a minute of game play. The height and direction of each bar represents how much each team did to increase its chance of scoring. Interesting to me in that it indicates we finally started to outplay Orlando after the Mueller Free Kick, except we gave up that huge scoring chance to Akindele, and then continued to control play to no avail.
I also notice a fair number of minutes with no visible bar meaning that neither team did anything to create a decent chance, which I guess is an indication of a boring game.
Finally, Opta indicates a fair result would have been a 1-2 loss.

View attachment 9613 View attachment 9614 Interesting to me in that it indicates we finally started to outplay Orlando after the Mueller Free Kick, except we gave up that huge scoring chance to Akindele, and then continued to control play to no avail.

Doyle’s writeup was how Orlando totally turned up the pressure and “would have found a winner if the game went another five minutes.”
(And of course he mentioned again that NYCFC will miss the playoffs).

Reactions: Kjbert and LionNYC
View attachment 9613 View attachment 9614
The Game Flow stat is complicated but the chart is fairly simple. Each bar represents a minute of game play. The height and direction of each bar represents how much each team did to increase its chance of scoring. Interesting to me in that it indicates we finally started to outplay Orlando after the Mueller Free Kick, except we gave up that huge scoring chance to Akindele, and then continued to control play to no avail.
I also notice a fair number of minutes with no visible bar meaning that neither team did anything to create a decent chance, which I guess is an indication of a boring game.
Finally, Opta indicates a fair result would have been a 1-2 loss.

FYI if you guys ever want to pull up an Opta xG map without waiting on Baer, you can use the demo login here:

http://widget.cloud.opta.net/helper/v3/#/football/expected_goals

Or just follow The Outfield for ASA's superior stuff ;)

Reactions: dummyrun
A little late to the game getting in the post-match thread as I've had a busy weekend with family.

I think Christopher Jee Christopher Jee did a great job at breaking this match down here: https://theoutfield.org/2019/03/04/orlando-2-2-nycfc-in-search-of-domenec-torrent/

Some additional thoughts I have:
  • I didn't understand this formation against Orlando. I maybe understand this formation at Atlanta or at DCU, but not at Orlando. Furthermore, if we assume we like this formation, I don't understand the personnel used for it, and I'll get to that a little more in a bit. I also think there were some things that we tried, that just didn't happen to work.
    • As many have pointed out, we went for the counter-attack in this one, which I still don't agree with, and it seemed like in the first half, most of our plan was to get the ball to Lewis on the right, and have him "dump and chase" past the defender marking him. This is one of those things that might not have been a bad idea, but just didn't seem to work. I don't want this to come across as me ragging on JLew, because I still think he needs big minutes, but he just didn't quite have a great game out there given what I'm interpreting to be our game plan.
    • The midfield was just all wrong, and I'm not necessarily saying that Maxi needed to be there.
    • Until we have a true #9, I think Maxi may be our best option at being employed up there. Him and Mitrita really seemed to connect pretty well, and it'll only get better. The main problem with Maxi as a false-9 is...
    • We had nobody to bring the ball up through the midfield. Sands was basically a CB, and Ring and Ofori don't have the skills to carry the ball through the midfield to find the wings or interplay with Maxi. If we wanted this formation, I think it needed to be Ring between Chanot and Callens, and then Ofori and Parks. Parks has the ability to carry it forward and initiate the attack, something that is severely lacking when Maxi is pushed further up (I think I wrote something about this earlier).
    • Sands did not have a good game, but I'm not sure I want to put much of that on him. This formation really did not suit him, and put him in a really bad spot to have to deal with both Kljestan and Mueller.
    • Mitri showed a lot of skill, but did seem to be a bit selfish at times. From a player of his skill level, that can be good to a certain degree, but I think (or hope) that once he becomes a bit more comfortable with the rest of the team, that will cut down a little bit. That pass to set up Maxi was a beaut.
If you're looking for a TL;DR: WE NEEDED KEATON PARKS.

I thought they try to differentiate hand to ball and ball to hand, no?
I don't think any of that helps. I think the change that needs to be made is all handballs regardless of whether or not they are accidental need to be called if defenders gain advantage. Give a yellow if intentional. Give a red if it intentionally prevents a goal.

I don't think any of that helps. I think the change that needs to be made is all handballs regardless of whether or not they are accidental need to be called if defenders gain advantage. Give a yellow if intentional. Give a red if it intentionally prevents a goal.
Agreed. Remove the role of interpretation. It either hits the hand/arm or it doesn’t. Interpret the intent for punitive punishment, but blow the whistle on contact.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
To clarify, I think you are saying you would drop the automatic red if it is in the box. Automatic yellow, no matter where. Red if intentional and stops a goal in refs opinion, correct? With that understanding I agree.