Orlando Postmatch

100% agree. I would have bet anything that Lamp was coming in for Pirlo and I was surprised to see Mix come out. It was very hot yesterday...can't have all older guys playing the midfield when trying to close a game out. It was a questionable series of subs.
The problem was that the sub was a PR move - having all three DPs on the field at the same time - the first time it's happened since last season. Thats the only reason to bring Lampard on for anybody besides Pirlo.

The problem was that the sub was a PR move - having all three DPs on the field at the same time - the first time it's happened since last season. Thats the only reason to bring Lampard on for anybody besides Pirlo.
Maybe you're right about the motives. I hope not.

I can see at least 2 alternatives.
  1. PV believes that good offense is the best defense. He believed that Mendoza's fresh legs combined with our 3 DPs would make it difficult for ORL to do anything but scramble. And he was right for almost as long as he needed to be right.
  2. PV felt confident about the result and wanted to see his 3 DPs play together at YS to assess how they do/can work together on that pitch. We had bossed the game for the most part and maybe he was over-confident. But using one game to understand player combos for future games is not unusual.

Maybe you're right about the motives. I hope not.

I can see at least 2 alternatives.
  1. PV believes that good offense is the best defense. He believed that Mendoza's fresh legs combined with our 3 DPs would make it difficult for ORL to do anything but scramble. And he was right for almost as long as he needed to be right.
  2. PV felt confident about the result and wanted to see his 3 DPs play together at YS to assess how they do/can work together on that pitch. We had bossed the game for the most part and maybe he was over-confident. But using one game to understand player combos for future games is not unusual.
I find it hard to believe PV made one sub for tactical reasons and one for PR. It's bad enough to think he made only 2 for tactical reasons. I also don't see PV letting those kinds of factors dictate his game decisions. The 2 alterntive explanations here make more sense.

Reactions: FootyLovin
PV wanted another goal and
Actually, he may not need to change much since our home record would be stellar if you didn't count the last five minutes of games (and take into account some bad bounces/finishes). We may be the best 85 minute team in the league! PV may just need to change his finishing style.
This is kind of interesting. Can someone quantify? Home record at 85 minutes vs. 90?

Reactions: JCMore and JayH
PV wanted another goal and

This is kind of interesting. Can someone quantify? Home record at 85 minutes vs. 90?
I can think of Toronto, Montreal and OC yesterday as games we have given up late goals (may not be 85 but very late). That's a lot of punted points!

I 100% agree with this. The team is never going to hear this as booing one player, or sending a message to CFG. They are going to take this as the fans turning on one of their own. All I can say is - please stop.

To me, it sounded like 60-40 cheers to boos. I get what happened in the New Jersey game, but it needs to stop.

I will second this. I went from 2 to 3 tickets this year and am more likely to go up than down, that's for sure.

It was a great time yesterday - bad ending, yes, but following this club has been fun in these rough, early times, and it is only going to get better.
Why exactly does it need to stop? Because you disagree with it? What alternative means of protest do you recommend?

So I'm not giving them an extra thousand bucks next year for tickets that don't/won't get used. I'm no less a fan. I just don't like wasting money. I was a day 1 depositor. I get my priority regardless.

You don't want to boo. You don't want people to not buy tickets. Carrots over stick only applies when there is desired behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gavin23 and BxLio91
I'm still absolutely gutted, but I'll attempt to be positive, since the negativity amongst our fan base is draining.

I joked when the line up went out that putting Iraola in CDM was PV's attempt to mimic Guardiola's Lahm reinvention, and possibly achieve a similar apotheosis, but I thought he had an immaculate game. His reading of the play more than made up for his lack of pace and physicality, and his distribution of the ball was a joy to watch. Nobody's mentioned the 1-2 where he played the first pass with a back heel, received the return ball and almost scored what would have been the prettiest goal we've had all season. Including Villa's chip!

I support PV's subs. The way I see it, he knows we have a tendency to let in late goals, so he's trying to put the game out of reach. Lampard puts Mendoza's cross into the net and we're celebrating an emphatic win with maybe the oldest midfield trio the world has ever seen outside of a testimonial match.

Why exactly does it need to stop? Because you disagree with it? What alternative means of protest do you recommend?

So I'm not giving them an extra thousand bucks next year for tickets that don't/won't get used. I'm no less a fan. I just don't like wasting money. I was a day 1 depositor. I get my priority regardless.

You don't want to boo. You don't want people to not buy tickets. Carrots over stick only applies when their is desired behavior.
Wait, isn't the desired behavior, from the team at least, pretty clear?

EDIT: I just got it.

The way I see it, we have a common purpose. Desired behavior from the team is to win and play with more intensity and courage. The desired behavior from the fan base is surely then whatever encourages the desired behavior from the team. Is the stick ("booing") more effective than the carrot ("cheering")?

Last edited:
Wait, isn't the desired behavior, from the team at least, pretty clear?

EDIT: I just got it.

The way I see it, we have a common purpose. Desired behavior from the team is to win and play with more intensity and courage. The desired behavior from the fan base is surely then whatever encourages the desired behavior from the team. Is the stick ("booing") more effective than the carrot ("cheering")?
We don't get any meaningful response from the front office. Lampard gets the jeers because he's the best outlet. I think it's pretty restrained frankly. And again, CFG could clear it all up with a little communication. "I'm sorry" can go a long way. Or even acknowledging the mistake. I'd take that.

Whatever. My life isn't going to meaningfully change no matter what they do or if I buy those extra tickets. Nor is their budget. But if there's a dramatic season ticket holder count drop next year, it might just be a motivating factor. I'm not encouraging it or making it my dharma or anything. But it's my choice, and I would just rather blow that money on something else rather than supporting a direction I don't approve of.

It was a beauty to see, this goal will be another one to remember , But (Lol) when you got to go, you got to go!!
David Villa's historic first goal in our inaugural home opener last year also sounded incredible from the bathroom. #beer

Reactions: Kenny and Ulrich
I didn't get to watch the last few minutes because the DVR cut out, but that booing was atrocious. Not that its surprising. These guys actually give a shit. I Seriously can't stand "fans" who boo their own team. The response should reflect the effort, not the result.

I didn't get to watch the last few minutes because the DVR cut out, but that booing was atrocious. Not that its surprising. These guys actually give a shit. I Seriously can't stand "fans" who boo their own team. The response should reflect the effort, not the result.
You're lucky your DVR cut out... I'm still gutted about the last 10 seconds you missed

Shelton looked so promising the first couple of games but he was really bad today. So many crosses either blocked or delivered to nowhere. And several balls from Pirlo that could have been great passes if Khiry would just make the run. The guy has blazing speed but never seemed to move faster than a trot. I don't get it. Khiry has twice the technique on the ball of Zardes but isn't half the player because he lacks the aggression and decision making that make Zardes so dangerous despite his heavy touch.
Exactly. He just lacks hustle. And I'm not just talking about him being "gassed" after the 75th... it was the whole match.