USL

Source: USL set to vote on promotion/relegation

Seeing as my Hartford are currently bottom of the table I say what’s the rush ? 😂

didnt they technically have a type of pro rel back in the mid 2000's? i recall cleveland get "promoted" and i think other teams voluntarily relegated themselves. of course the league was a mess back then IIRC. so perhaps its different this time around. what will be interesting is how many teams they want to keep in the championship. vs league one and i assume a "league 2?" but pro and not a college summer league.

Talk is cheap but I like what I hear.

Talk is cheap but I like what I hear.
A downtown Brooklyn SSS? I'll believe it when I see it. But damn I want to see it.

Reactions: snugglefarts
A downtown Brooklyn SSS? I'll believe it when I see it. But damn I want to see it.

the only place is the LIU Ahtletic Center, but that has NO seating. although they can maybe put temporary stands to fulfill the 1000 seating requirement.

If America had embraced soccer since its founding in the country like the English had, how many teams/stadiums would be in New York City?

a good amount id say pretty much each borough could of had 2/3 maybe 4 in queens for example because its so big. they would not have been huge fanbases or venues but certainly lots of teams.

We don't have any (professional level) American football stadiums in the city.

ironically a few teams in the early 1900's played in baseball stadiums. there were a couple of minor league stadiums in city that these teams played in.

ironically a few teams in the early 1900's played in baseball stadiums. there were a couple of minor league stadiums in city that these teams played in.
Jets and Giants played in baseball stadiums until the 1970s, no?

Reactions: adam
Jets and Giants played in baseball stadiums until the 1970s, no?

yes, i was referring to soccer teams though. with all the flack we get from playing in baseball stadiums. its part of the soccer history in nyc

Reactions: Kenny
I was under the impression that football only really blew up after the 1967 superbowl?
If you're going to pick it apart with details, then the whole hypothetical of imagining that the USA embraced soccer from the start of the USA is sort of meaningless because soccer didn't exist when the USA was born in the 18th century. Only the amorphous blob of proto-football did, which did not become rugby, soccer, gridiron football etc until the next century.

My point, which to be fair I certainly didn't spell out in the least, was (1) every sport that did become popular in this country did so without pro/rel and there's no reason to think soccer would have been different (among other things even the Brits did not invent pro/rel until several decades after the Revolution so why would we copy it), therefore (2) even if soccer exploded in popularity after it was invented and formalized (basically after the Civil War) we would not have seen dozens of teams in NY building several stadiums that exist to this day, and (3) it is near impossible to build new arenas or stadiums in NY after mid-20th century and even the NFL (which is what we have instead of a massively successful soccer league) could not manage it. We have 2 baseball stadiums, both built on swapped land from stadiums built more than a half-century ago, and which is 1 fewer than the number of baseball stadiums we had in 1950. We have zero football stadiums in the city even though the NFL is the biggest team sport in the country and only have 1 NFL stadium in the greater metro area despite 2 teams.

Moreover, the conditions that led to so many London teams do not exist in the US: London is the political, commercial, financial, transportation and population center/capital of a small compact country. The rest of the US can barely tolerate having 2 NY teams in major sports and any league that tried to maintain a national audience with 30% of the teams located in NY would not do well.

So my counterfactual response is I would not expect to have more than 1-2 professional soccer stadiums in the entirety of greater NYC even if soccer was historically the biggest sport in the country.

ETA: Just considered that probably when LionNYC LionNYC wrote "since its founding" he meant of soccer and not the USA. Doesn't change my answer except what I said about the hypo not making sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vallos
If you're going to pick it apart with details, then the whole hypothetical of imagining that the USA embraced soccer from the start of the USA is sort of meaningless because soccer didn't exist when the USA was born in the 18th century. Only the amorphous blob of proto-football did, which did not become rugby, soccer, gridiron football etc until the next century.

My point, which to be fair I certainly didn't spell out in the least, was (1) every sport that did become popular in this country did so without pro/rel and there's no reason to think soccer would have been different (among other things even the Brits did not invent pro/rel until several decades after the Revolution so why would we copy it), therefore (2) even if soccer exploded in popularity after it was invented and formalized (basically after the Civil War) we would not have seen dozens of teams in NY building several stadiums that exist to this day, and (3) it is near impossible to build new arenas or stadiums in NY after mid-20th century and even the NFL (which is what we have instead of a massively successful soccer league) could not manage it. We have 2 baseball stadiums, both built on swapped land from stadiums built more than a half-century ago, and which is 1 fewer than the number of baseball stadiums we had in 1950. We have zero football stadiums in the city even though the NFL is the biggest team sport in the country and only have 1 NFL stadium in the greater metro area despite 2 teams.

Moreover, the conditions that led to so many London teams do not exist in the US: London is the political, commercial, financial, transportation and population center/capital of a small compact country. The rest of the US can barely tolerate having 2 NY teams in major sports and any league that tried to maintain a national audience with 30% of the teams located in NY would not do well.

So my counterfactual response is I would not expect to have more than 1-2 professional soccer stadiums in the entirety of greater NYC even if soccer was historically the biggest sport in the country.

ETA: Just considered that probably when LionNYC LionNYC wrote "since its founding" he meant of soccer and not the USA. Doesn't change my answer except what I said about the hypo not making sense.

I mean, if other sports would have been popular in those eras then it's possible that they could have gotten stadiums earlier? the new MSG was put in its current location in 1925. For NHL.

I mean, if other sports would have been popular in those eras then it's possible that they could have gotten stadiums earlier? the new MSG was put in its current location in 1925. For NHL.
If you think there's a plausible scenario by which soccer could have ended up with more than 1-2 metro area stadiums today if it had been popular in the 1800s then please explain why you believe it might have done so when baseball - which actually was big in the 1800s and was the most popular team spectator sport from the 1870s to 1960s - did not. Otherwise I don't understand your point.
If you agree with me that soccer would not have more than 2 stadiums in the metro area then we agree.

Last edited:
If you think there's a plausible scenario by which soccer could have ended up with more than 1-2 metro area stadiums today if it had been popular in the 1800s then please explain why you believe it might have done so when baseball - which actually was big in the 1800s and was the most popular team spectator sport from the 1870s to 1960s - did not. Otherwise I don't understand your point.
If you agree with me that soccer would not have more than 2 stadiums in the metro area then we agree.
If soccer was very popular in the US back then, maybe it's plausible that MSG would have been possibly made for soccer instead of NHL at the time? And then it's not so hard to imagine one team opening in queens and/or brooklyn and/or bronx?

Baseball did, just not in manhattan. We had the brooklyn dodgers, yankees, and mets in the metro area at one point - not so hard to imagine the same happening with soccer.

Doesn't mean they would have all survived into the "Big leagues", but i can definitely see a scenario where this actually happened back then.

Baseball did, just not in manhattan. We had the brooklyn dodgers, yankees, and mets in the metro area at one point
Just to note that the NY (baseball) Giants played in Manhattan at the Polo Grounds before they moved to California. Late 1880s to 1957.

Huh, interesting. So there were actually 4 then until 1957?
I’ve always been of the impression that the Mets were created by the vacuum left by the NY baseball Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers leaving for California. Just look up the logo for the Giants and add Dodger blue and you have the Mets logo. So 3 teams then 1 team to finally 2 teams.

Reactions: adam and Shwafta