2023 Concacaf Champions League

Screenshot_20221107-224115_Chrome.jpg

i feel like Philly got easy route to the Semi's. im sure they can get past alianza ( though i expect a draw or even minimal loss in el salvador). and atlas has not been great.
of course its way too early with transfer season just starting.

Orlando has a chance. No gignac in return leg. Philly should make it thru. Austin will go thru since I’m reading the team may not be able to get enough players visas on time.

Reactions: Shwafta
Of course the audio includes the Philly lost to NYCFC because of COVID excuse. I’m surprised there’s no league mandated asterisk on our star.
Am I the only one completely not bothered by this?

They were missing over half their starters. It sucked (for them). It wasn't the normal sports stuff. Though even if it had been I could imagine "decimated by injuries" being an ongoing talking point. But this was an element of the bizarre time. We were beneficiaries. They were losers. It was definitely a factor.

It amuses me to this day. I'm perfectly happy every time it gets mentioned. Reminds me of our good fortune.

Am I the only one completely not bothered by this?

They were missing over half their starters. It sucked (for them). It wasn't the normal sports stuff. Though even if it had been I could imagine "decimated by injuries" being an ongoing talking point. But this was an element of the bizarre time. We were beneficiaries. They were losers. It was definitely a factor.

It amuses me to this day. I'm perfectly happy every time it gets mentioned. Reminds me of our good fortune.
Yeah, I don’t mind the note about it. It happened and we definitely benefitted from it.

Where I do think I do mind is the automatic assumption from Philly fans that they would have won that match had those players been available and also would have won MLS Cup had they been available while also ignoring the fact that NYCFC were without 3 of their top players. I’m assuming the article didn’t go to that level but I didn’t read it

The Union was unlucky the Covid protocols in effect then probably kept out a bunch of players who weren't even sick.
They were lucky we beat the Revs or they would have been playing a dominant Revs team in Foxboro, and I think they were much less well equipped (even at full strength) to do that than NYCFC was.
The Union was lucky their actual GD was almost 9 goals above xGD for the season or maybe they would have come to Yankee Stadium.
NYCFC was unlucky that Taty got a dumb second yellow against New England and for 2 other starters to have gotten hurt late in the season.
NYCFC was lucky to win the shootout against the Revs (and later Portland) because those correlate very poorly with team quality or anything meaningful.
It goes on. The difference is the Covid thing for Philly was not the type of game luck we're used to. It was of a particular time and place and people will keep mentioning it.
The trophy and rings are still real.

Last edited:
The Union was unlucky the Covid protocols in effect then probably kept out a bunch of players who weren't even sick.
They were lucky we beat the Revs or they would have been playing a dominant Revs team in Foxboro, and I think they were much less well equipped (even at full strength) to do that than NYCFC was.
The Union was lucky they scored almost 9 goals above xG for the season or maybe they would have come to Yankee Stadium.
NYCFC was unlucky that Taty got a dumb second yellow against New England and for 2 other starters to have gotten hurt late in the season.
NYCFC was lucky to win the shootout against the Revs (and later Portland) because those correlate very poorly with team quality or anything meaningful.
It goes on. The difference is the Covid thing for Philly was not the type of game luck we're used to. It was of a particular time and place and people will keep mentioning it.
Así es el fútbol

The Union was lucky they scored almost 9 goals above xG for the season or maybe they would have come to Yankee Stadium.
Perfect summary. Luck variance comes in all shapes and sizes.

Reactions: adam
Would also add that the Union were fairly lucky to get past the Red Bulls in added extra time needing an insanely long range goal to advance past the first round.

Where I do think I do mind is the automatic assumption from Philly fans that they would have won that match had those players been available
Even this doesn’t bother me. It totally makes me smile. Like, yup. You totally would have won. But you didn’t. Ha! Sucks for you. :)

• Haha
Reactions: SoupInNYC
Wasn't our fault, so I don't give a shit what Philly fans think. Cry more. I'll just watch Alex Callens blasting a penalty kick into the net in Portland again.

The Union was lucky their actual GD was almost 9 goals above xGD for the season or maybe they would have come to Yankee Stadium.
Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

That Atlas - Philly game last night was excellent.

The series was knotted at 2-2 with Philly ahead on away goals when the Union struck in the 75' to essentially put things to bed. If you haven't seen Jack McGlynn's assist on Philly's first goal, check it out.

This sets up a terrific semifinal between Philadelphia and LAFC - a repeat of the MLS Cup match.