2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Nothing here alarms me unless we don’t make moves in the winter window. Fredo has a great pigeon legacy but I’d rather use his cap space to try and retain Perea or find a younger more durable destroyer. Pel has a decent boot and a good engine — but not a million dollar engine.

I imagine Cufre is either a negotiation or they have someone else in mind (I’m a big O’Toole booster but I doubt they see him as a regular starter).

As for Ledezma, he showed me very little in terms of quality or involvement. There have to be better options for a Santi backup.

Decent amount of space and a youthful core to work with, I feel like we underachieved this year, and I don’t feel like we discarded the kind of quality/potential we let walk this summer (Gaby, Andrade, Chanot) so I’m reserving judgement verging on cautiously optimistic. Watching ugly wretched RBNJ last night makes me count my blessings, even if they finished ahead of us.

My worry is that we haven’t signed an established player like Maxi for a long time and with Fredo gone and Maxi questionable, it’s unclear where the leadership comes from.

NYCFC 2024 DEPTH CHART

Striker: Bakrar
Wing/Striker: Talles Magno
Wing: Fernandez, Jasson, Martinez
Wing/CAM: Santi
CAM: Maxi M., Maxi C.
CM: Parks, Sands, Shore
RB: Gray, Ilenič, Baiera
LB: O'Toole, McFarlane
CB: Martins, Risa, Haak
GK: Freese, Barraza, Mizell

Returning from loan: Andrade, Acevedo, Segal

NYCFC 2024 DEPTH CHART

Striker: Bakrar
Wing/Striker: Talles Magno
Wing: Fernandez, Jasson, Martinez
Wing/CAM: Santi
CAM: Maxi M., Maxi C.
CM: Parks, Sands, Shore
RB: Gray, Ilenič, Baiera
LB: O'Toole, McFarlane
CB: Martins, Risa, Haak
GK: Freese, Barraza, Mizell

Returning from loan: Andrade, Acevedo, Segal

Andrade and Acevado possibly returning from loan is an interesting wrinkle. Both players would fill key depth roles for us but it seemed Acevedo wanted to leave and the team wanted Andrade gone so who knows if either is an option to actually return.

Acevado made 47 appearances for Bahia so he's clearly played well for them this season. Getting him back would be a solid replacement for Morales or at a minimum maybe we can be on the beneficiary side of one of these intra-CFG transfers if Bahia wants to keep him.

The Thiago situation doesn't look as good. He made 8 appearances as a sub for Club Athletico Paranaense between 4/15 and 6/11 with no goals or assists. Since then he has only made 1 appearance for 1 minute total across 20 games despite being available on the bench for most of the matches. Given the lack of production and his reported off-field issues that caused the departure, it seems unlikely he will be back.

Andrade and Acevado possibly returning from loan is an interesting wrinkle. Both players would fill key depth roles for us but it seemed Acevedo wanted to leave and the team wanted Andrade gone so who knows if either is an option to actually return.

Acevado made 47 appearances for Bahia so he's clearly played well for them this season. Getting him back would be a solid replacement for Morales or at a minimum maybe we can be on the beneficiary side of one of these intra-CFG transfers if Bahia wants to keep him.

The Thiago situation doesn't look as good. He made 8 appearances as a sub for Club Athletico Paranaense between 4/15 and 6/11 with no goals or assists. Since then he has only made 1 appearance for 1 minute total across 20 games despite being available on the bench for most of the matches. Given the lack of production and his reported off-field issues that caused the departure, it seems unlikely he will be back.

acevedo left to be more visible to the Uruguay NT, per his words in his press conference earlier in the year. So i think its more likely he gets bought since he has gotten lots of games in that league.

thiago aint getting bought i think. but he probably gets another loan somewhere.

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis

I noticed Andrade on the list but missed Acevedo, but would be wild, but certainly makes Morales expendable. (I think age/injury and lack of minutes at the end of the year did that anyway, but still)

For me, Morales was too injury prone. He was never able to stay on the field, so no major loss there. For the salary, we can get a more dependable player.

Honestly, no moves really surprised me. Those academy players are maybe surprising, but it didn't seem like they were particularly close to finding minutes with our first team. Have to assume they are replacing those guys with different academy players.

We lost some depth, but we gained a ton of salary cap space. Have to imagine we'll be busy in the winter transfer window as we replace the depth.

acevedo left to be more visible to the Uruguay NT, per his words in his press conference earlier in the year. So i think its more likely he gets bought since he has gotten lots of games in that league.

thiago aint getting bought i think. but he probably gets another loan somewhere.

You have to respect the ambition but I don't think Acevado is breaking into Uruguain NT midfield on either NYCFC or Bahia given this is the list of their midfielder depth according to transfer market:

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 1.12.46 PM.png

Reactions: Kjbert
You have to respect the ambition but I don't think Acevado is breaking into Uruguain NT midfield on either NYCFC or Bahia given this is the list of their midfielder depth according to transfer market:

View attachment 13072

it was a new cycle and new generation was supposed to come in, and he probably expected midfield was open. but as you said he is way behind. maybe he hopes to come in as bench option.

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis
Please don’t take Parks. But if true, it’s good business. Love the guy but going through both those blood clot surgeries successfully was really lucky tbh. I would say that he is unfortunately a player whose career could end at any moment and therefore a risk. Good business, but please don’t take Parks

Anyone know whether "MLS Transfers" account has any validity? Any track record?

I would think he would be a loan since he's currently under contract with a La Liga team.
The tweets claims he's on loan to the LigaMX team and it ends 12/31. He's under contract to Granada in Spain. Transfermarket and Wikipedia indiace that runs to summer 2026. So a loan and maybe loan/option is still a likely arrangement if there's anything to this, just not from the LMX team.
If we were to bring him in as a DP, does that mean we have to offload Talles or somehow buy down Thiago? This would be an ambitious signing if we can get it across the line, even moreso if he's a full signing.
If Miami can sign Suarez there has to be a way for NYCFC to get this less-bitey Uruguayan.

On the coaching side: Daniel Fradley and Kevin Tosti, both performance analysts, have left the club for other positions.

Daniel to CFG - Manchester and Kevin to USMNT.

Reactions: Kjbert