2024 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

They thought that last year as well. Even after all the unforeseen departures they expected Talles to step up and the club could be mediocre until the summer window. This year's even more inexplicable disappointment has been Bakrar scoring 0 goals through 7 games. It was a failure to overestimate Magno's ability to move positions and score more goals. Not expecting Bakrar to have an epic slump is more forgivable by itself, but they also bet everything on one guy. Last year's club not only lacked a primary scoring threat, it had epically low goal contributions from the 3-6 top scorers on the roster. And they did nothing to fix this. If Bakrar were converting his chances this would still be a below average scoring team. NYCFC is next to last in goals but also bottom 25% for xGoals.

This is why I'm frustrated. I can't see what they thought success would even look like this year. If Bakrar had 4 goals in 7 games the club would be sub median. The clubs with 9 goals rank 16-19 for goals scored. We don't even play most of the new guys, so who was supposed to round out the scoring? Not the backline. Not Sands, Perea or Parks (17 career goals in 15 combined seasons pre-2024). Wolf is new and gets minutes, but he had 5 goals his previous 4 seasons. So what was the plan? What would we look like if everything clicked?

I would also like to know how much of a contribution they expected from Jovan and Ojeda. As you have pointed out previously we have historically moved slowly in integrating our young players when we look at all of the young players in the team's history. If you factor in the price paid and look at only young players we have paid over $5M for the story is slightly different. Magno subbed on in his first game with the club and started the next game. Fernandez followed a similar pattern of making a sub-appearance and then starting the next game. They both followed their start with more sub appearances but the team put them out there to see what they could do and even in their non-starts they were playing meaningful min as subs.

The fact that Ojeda and Javan have not started a game and are seemingly behind guys like Jason and Martinez on the depth chart raises a lot of questions for me. Did the team know these guys wouldn't be ready to contribute right away but still signed them as development players? Are they ready but given the hot seat Nick is on is he sticking with guys he knows as opposed to taking a risk starting them? Did we sign these guys planning to have them contribute and they showed up more raw than expected? Is there a misalignment between what type of player the CFG scouting network thinks is MLS-ready and the reality of what it takes to play in MLS?

Jovan and Ojeda are both talented, it would be interesting to know if this minimal level of contribution was the expectation and the FO thought Bakrar and Wolf would buy us some development time for the young guys or if the team planned on getting more from Ojeda and Jovan and it just hasn't happened yet.

They thought that last year as well. Even after all the unforeseen departures they expected Talles to step up and the club could be mediocre until the summer window. This year's even more inexplicable disappointment has been Bakrar scoring 0 goals through 7 games. It was a failure to overestimate Magno's ability to move positions and score more goals. Not expecting Bakrar to have an epic slump is more forgivable by itself, but they also bet everything on one guy. Last year's club not only lacked a primary scoring threat, it had epically low goal contributions from the 3-6 top scorers on the roster. And they did nothing to fix this. If Bakrar were converting his chances this would still be a below average scoring team. NYCFC is next to last in goals but also bottom 25% for xGoals.

This is why I'm frustrated. I can't see what they thought success would even look like this year. If Bakrar had 4 goals in 7 games the club would be sub median. The clubs with 9 goals rank 16-19 for goals scored. We don't even play most of the new guys, so who was supposed to round out the scoring? Not the backline. Not Sands, Perea or Parks (17 career goals in 15 combined seasons pre-2024). Wolf is new and gets minutes, but he had 5 goals his previous 4 seasons. So what was the plan? What would we look like if everything clicked?

I think they expected Wolf to be a major contributor. He's been good so far, so jury's out.

I think they expected (or hoped for) a breakout season from Santi. So far I think that one may happen -- he looks primed for it.

I think they hoped Bakrar would lead the line and score 10+ goals. So far that one's a massive fail.

I think they expected Julian would be what Pereira was. So far, he hasn't really contributed in a meaningful way.

I think they wanted Talles to return to his 2022 form now that he's back on the wing. He's injured, so we'll see.

I think they wanted to see Ojeda and Jovan get minutes and contribute, with an eye towards seeing them take a step the deeper into the season we go, and especially next year.

I think they expected our defense and goaltending would be solid. So far that seems to be the case, though it's a little leakier than expected.

It seems to me they are putting a lot of hope on their young players, and many of them aren't living up to it yet.

Jovan and Ojeda are both talented, it would be interesting to know if this minimal level of contribution was the expectation and the FO thought Bakrar and Wolf would buy us some development time for the young guys or if the team planned on getting more from Ojeda and Jovan and it just hasn't happened yet.
This is the question. If I'm wrong and we truly are being treated as a development team by the organization, I will happily join the chorus and sing with the loudest voice. (Due to my situation I went from Michael McDonald to Kris Kristofferson, but hey, I'm still loud.)

Are they ready but given the hot seat Nick is on is he sticking with guys he knows as opposed to taking a risk starting them?

I think this has a lot of merit. Cushing knows he's in trouble, and there's no way he's putting his fate in the hands of two 18 year olds.

I think they expected Wolf to be a major contributor. He's been good so far, so jury's out.

I think they expected (or hoped for) a breakout season from Santi. So far I think that one may happen -- he looks primed for it.

I think they hoped Bakrar would lead the line and score 10+ goals. So far that one's a massive fail.

I think they expected Julian would be what Pereira was. So far, he hasn't really contributed in a meaningful way.

I think they wanted Talles to return to his 2022 form now that he's back on the wing. He's injured, so we'll see.

I think they wanted to see Ojeda and Jovan get minutes and contribute, with an eye towards seeing them take a step the deeper into the season we go, and especially next year.

I think they expected our defense and goaltending would be solid. So far that seems to be the case, though it's a little leakier than expected.

It seems to me they are putting a lot of hope on their young players, and many of them aren't living up to it yet.

i think our defense is anything but solid. freese has single handedly kept us in games so we're good in the keeper department but our back 4 is no where near the quality it has been in the past. the way we play, we absolutely NEED quality CBs who can cover and handle a counter attack while the rest of the team recovers. We simply don't have that anymore. not to mention our set piece defending is abysmal.

i think our defense is anything but solid. freese has single handedly kept us in games so we're good in the keeper department but our back 4 is no where near the quality it has been in the past. the way we play, we absolutely NEED quality CBs who can cover and handle a counter attack while the rest of the team recovers. We simply don't have that anymore. not to mention our set piece defending is abysmal.

Well yes -- our goal prevention has been solid because of Freese is probably what I should have said there. The defense in front of him has been leaky and disorganized, which is probably much worse than they expected.

I think Tanasijevic and Martins is the way to go. I know they're both right-footed, and I was wrong about us not particularly needing a left-footed center-back last year, but with the Ninja's game, I don't think it makes any difference. He seems just as capable of clearing the ball or passing out with either foot.

They looked like they had really good chemistry, too.

I think Tanasijevic and Martins is the way to go. I know they're both right-footed, and I was wrong about us not particularly needing a left-footed center-back last year, but with the Ninja's game, I don't think it makes any difference. He seems just as capable of clearing the ball or passing out with either foot.

They looked like they had really good chemistry, too.

Tanasjevic is not the answer either. He's poor with the ball at his feet, makes poor decisions, and not that strong a defender. At best, he's an ibeahga level defender, which is fine for when we need depth, but he's no starter.

Chanot and Martins would have made this back line much better. But we know what happened there. If we're gonna throw in a CB to replace Risa for some reason, let that be Gray. It's his natural position, he can defend 1v1, and isn't afraid of a challenge. He's also confident with the ball at his feet although he's not always making the best choices. But if we are gonna replace risa for some reason, that would be my choice.

Admittedly I forgot about Talles as a potential 2024 factor even though I mentioned his 2023 woes.

Tanasjevic is not the answer either. He's poor with the ball at his feet, makes poor decisions, and not that strong a defender. At best, he's an ibeahga level defender, which is fine for when we need depth, but he's no starter.

Chanot and Martins would have made this back line much better. But we know what happened there. If we're gonna throw in a CB to replace Risa for some reason, let that be Gray. It's his natural position, he can defend 1v1, and isn't afraid of a challenge. He's also confident with the ball at his feet although he's not always making the best choices. But if we are gonna replace risa for some reason, that would be my choice.
I'm actually totally cool with that, too. My affection for the Young Prince is well-known. 😁

But I can't agree with the assessment of Tanasijevic. He hadn't played competitively for a few months before his first start for us and he was pretty rusty. By the second half of his second start, he was fine.

NYCFC 2024 DEPTH CHART
(Italics denotes Homegrown signing whohas not yet debuted with senior team)
Striker: Bakrar, Mijatović
Wing/Striker: Talles Magno, Jones, Yanez
Wing: Fernandez, Ojeda, Martinez, Jasson
Wing/CAM: Santi, Wolf
CAM: Maxi M., Maxi C.
CM: Parks, Sands, Perea, Haak, Shore
RB: Gray, Ilenič, Baiera
LB: O'Toole, McFarlane
CB: Martins, Risa, Tanasijević, Hope-Gund
GK: Freese, Barraza, Rando, Romero

I reupped this post to think about the roles of some of our guys.

Wingers - Going into the season, Talles Magno and Fernandez were experienced wingers, Jasson too, plus both Santi and Wolf can play there and if you want both on the field, at least one of them has to play winger. That suggests to me that the Club expected Ojeda to get some time off the bench and develop for a year or so and that Martinez is more of a depth piece. Then, Talles Magno gets injured and Fernandez is unproductive. So, now Ojeda and Martinez may have to step up a little more.

Striker - We started the season with two strikers, plus a couple of guys who could play there in a pinch. Now, Talles Magno is hurt and Mijatović can't seem to get back into the country. That leaves us short again with only Jones backing up Bakrar.

LB - Going into the season, we only had a veteran backup and a 17-YO homegrown. This is an obvious miss. Unclear if they failed to sign a target or thought McFarlane would be ready to step up and now don't, or what.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Wingers - Going into the season, Talles Magno and Fernandez were experienced wingers, Jasson too, plus both Santi and Wolf can play there and if you want both on the field, at least one of them has to play winger. That suggests to me that the Club expected Ojeda to get some time off the bench and develop for a year or so and that Martinez is more of a depth piece. Then, Talles Magno gets injured and Fernandez is unproductive. So, now Ojeda and Martinez may have to step up a little more.

I agree with your assessment of the projected role for Ojeda. What I don't understand is how the team can rationalize paying a $7M transfer fee for support off the bench. No other team in the league is spending that type of money on a non-starter. In a salary-capped league, the fact that we paid $8M and $7M transfer fees for guys not slotted in to be starters is just a bizarre allocation of resources. I could understand it if we finished last year near the top of the table and had a stacked roster allowing us to take some risks on a few of the u-22 slots but we are certainly not in that situation.

NYCFC's highest transfer fees paid in the history of the club are:
Mitirta - $9.1M
Jovan - $8M
Magno- $7.5M
Ojeda - $7M

Reactions: Cohibax and moogoo
Wait, now we are complaining that the Club is spending too much money on players???

To be serious for a moment, remember that Ojeda is playing behind guys who were also purchased for a lot of money. I don't have a problem spending a lot on a guy who needs a year or two to mature and playing him as a substitute for another guy that we paid a lot for. Remember that with the U-22 initiative, we can now spend all we want to buy up to 6 players at a time.

Wait, now we are complaining that the Club is spending too much money on players???

To be serious for a moment, remember that Ojeda is playing behind guys who were also purchased for a lot of money. I don't have a problem spending a lot on a guy who needs a year or two to mature and playing him as a substitute for another guy that we paid a lot for. Remember that with the U-22 initiative, we can now spend all we want to buy up to 6 players at a time.

No one is complaining that the team spent money, don't oversimplify my words just to have a simplistic condescending retort. I'm complaining about how the team spent money which I think is perfectly reasonable given the club's abysmal performance the last 16 or so months. Especially when you add in that CFG has been flat-out cheap with how they have invested in our DP spots for years now. What would our season look like right now if the team had only signed 1 of Jovan or Ojeda and took the extra $7M-$8M, bought down Martins, and signed a DP ST with a proven ability to score goals?

What would our season look like right now if the team had only signed 1 of Jovan or Ojeda and took the extra $7M-$8M, bought down Martins, and signed a DP ST with a proven ability to score goals?
I think that's a great question.

I also think you misread Gotham's question. I didn't take it as condescending. I read it as joking around about the irony. More that not spending was definitely bad, but they didn't get it right when they spent either.

Not gonna lie, every time I see this thread have a new post my mind perks up thinking there’s a rumor about a new player. Then I remember we have no more roster spots and I get a little bit lower about this team

Reactions: twsj91
I think that's a great question.

I also think you misread Gotham's question. I didn't take it as condescending. I read it as joking around about the irony. More that not spending was definitely bad, but they didn't get it right when they spent either.

That's fair, apologies to Gotham for my misread and overreaction, my bad.

Not gonna lie, every time I see this thread have a new post my mind perks up thinking there’s a rumor about a new player. Then I remember we have no more roster spots and I get a little bit lower about this team

At this point, the best news I'm looking forward to is photos on Jovan's Instagram showing him back in NY with the team.