Away - 09/30 Houston

Listening to Soccer-in-the-City, Crooks thinks Coach V will want to put Jack Flash in midfield, where he would occasionally switch with TMac.

They also had a lot of respect for Houston's recent form. Only 1 loss in their last 7 games (to Dallas). Over that span, they've drawn Seattle and Toronto, gone into KC and drawn there, and beaten Portland at home this past weekend and San Jose and RSL on the road. In their opinion, this improved form coincides with Cristian Maidana returning to the lineup as a starter.

Last edited:
Listening to Soccer-in-the-City, Crooks thinks Coach V will want to put Jack Flash in midfield, where he would occasionally switch with TMac.
That's what I'm thinking. Gives PV the flexibility to interchange TMac and Jack based on how the game is flowing.

Reactions: Kjbert
Some thoughts on Friday's match. Houston has been much better lately, but a win here negates the disadvantage we have of only having one home match left, so its a big one, particularly with Toronto dropping points.

Some thoughts on Friday's match. Houston has been much better lately, but a win here negates the disadvantage we have of only having one home match left, so its a big one, particularly with Toronto dropping points.

Could we see something like this?

------------------------------Villa---------------------
----McNamara--Harrison---Pirlo----Khiry----
----------------------------Iraola---------------------
--Matarrita-------Mena------Brillant----Allen--
------------------------Slosh Saunders-------------

On paper a 4-1-4-1, but maybe playing like a 4-2-3-1 with Pirlo dropping down. Allows Iraola to move the ball up the field with Pirlo that get it to the attack.

Reactions: adam
Could we see something like this?

------------------------------Villa---------------------
----McNamara--Harrison---Pirlo----Khiry----
----------------------------Iraola---------------------
--Matarrita-------Mena------Brillant----Allen--
------------------------Slosh Saunders-------------

On paper a 4-1-4-1, but maybe playing like a 4-2-3-1 with Pirlo dropping down. Allows Iraola to move the ball up the field with Pirlo that get it to the attack.
I'm intrigued by the idea generally.

Iraola has, of course, always been part of trying to get the ball forward generally from his DM spot which has been part of why inserting him in that spot has really helped. The question I'm wrestling with is whether there is a way to get him on the ball as one of the two first touch guys with Brillant, rather than having Mena as the other option, or whether that breaks the shape of the team generally because: (1) where does Mena go physically if Iraola is flanked out on the left of the box? and (2) is there a hole because Iraola is no longer in the DM spot and therefore there aren't enough passing options for the two CBs?

(2) might be somewhat mitigated by the fact that whoever is playing in place of Lampard is likely to be more mobile and can drop deeper to pick up the ball and fill the hole for Iraola (which is the reason I've liked Mendoza there).

In any event, it is probably too funky, but I hope they are trying to think through this because I don't think we survive against a decent pressing team with Mena serving as a primary passer for 180 minutes over two legs. There is also the hope that Chanot gets back, but the little snippets I've heard have sounded pretty negative.

I'm intrigued by the idea generally.

Iraola has, of course, always been part of trying to get the ball forward generally from his DM spot which has been part of why inserting him in that spot has really helped. The question I'm wrestling with is whether there is a way to get him on the ball as one of the two first touch guys with Brillant, rather than having Mena as the other option, or whether that breaks the shape of the team generally because: (1) where does Mena go physically if Iraola is flanked out on the left of the box? and (2) is there a hole because Iraola is no longer in the DM spot and therefore there aren't enough passing options for the two CBs?

(2) might be somewhat mitigated by the fact that whoever is playing in place of Lampard is likely to be more mobile and can drop deeper to pick up the ball and fill the hole for Iraola (which is the reason I've liked Mendoza there).

In any event, it is probably too funky, but I hope they are trying to think through this because I don't think we survive against a decent pressing team with Mena serving as a primary passer for 180 minutes over two legs. There is also the hope that Chanot gets back, but the little snippets I've heard have sounded pretty negative.

I wouldn't put it past PV to try something like this I think he is well aware of Mena's limitations and actively trying to mitigate the risk. Against Chicago it appeared that Mena had very clear instructions to limit his exposure: dont' dribble forward (he used to do this a lot sometimes with success but I didn't see it once in the chi game), only pass to Mata, Billant or Saunders, no skip passes, no passes up field, if you get pressure kick it out. A couple of times he kicked the ball out I noticed PV giving him clear approval for it. This seemed to be a shift from times in the past when I have notice PV scold our defensive players for not being more composed and finding the play out of the back pass even when under pressure. Contrast that with Brillant who clearly is allowed more freedom and plays a really nice long ball to the Mata LW from time to time.

It's unfortunate that as a team that plays exclusively out of the back, we would even consider having a defender on the field who in all seriousness is lucky to successfully complete 10-15% of his passes. And I don't love the idea of having to modify our shape and flow simply to try to find a way to cover for a really weak link. I know that it's the product of depth and injury, but it has been and will continue to put us at a substantial disadvantage. I hate that I am forced to suggest that JH is a better option - that in itself is scary. Our style of play already is dependent upon assuming the resulting pressure and transition, and our success is somewhat dependent upon our opponent's success rate at finishing the expected scoring chances. Having Mena on the field (whether he's passing, or passing less as a result of changes to compensate for his weaknesses) will likely put us under even more pressure, requiring substantially more prayer.

It's unfortunate that as a team that plays exclusively out of the back, we would even consider having a defender on the field who in all seriousness is lucky to successfully complete 10-15% of his passes. And I don't love the idea of having to modify our shape and flow simply to try to find a way to cover for a really weak link. I know that it's the product of depth and injury, but it has been and will continue to put us at a substantial disadvantage. I hate that I am forced to suggest that JH is a better option - that in itself is scary. Our style of play already is dependent upon assuming the resulting pressure and transition, and our success is somewhat dependent upon our opponent's success rate at finishing the expected scoring chances. Having Mena on the field (whether he's passing, or passing less as a result of changes to compensate for his weaknesses) will likely put us under even more pressure, requiring substantially more prayer.

I don't think that Vieira considers Hernandez a CB anymore. I remember in a post match press conference, he said that he has three great centerbacks on his team. That's Chanot, Brillant, and Mena.

This is ultimately why I think we need to move Mena after this year. I do like Mena, and think he brings some great defensive capabilities. But with our style of play, he's just too expensive to not fit in. Unless PV and the coaching staff think they can really improve his on the ball skills, I think he needs to be gone and another defender who is more comfortable playing out of the back needs to be brought in.

This is ultimately why I think we need to move Mena after this year. I do like Mena, and think he brings some great defensive capabilities. But with our style of play, he's just too expensive to not fit in. Unless PV and the coaching staff think they can really improve his on the ball skills, I think he needs to be gone and another defender who is more comfortable playing out of the back needs to be brought in.

Orlando seems to have some defensive issues and a coach that liked Mena at one time, maybe they would be interested. Assuming they don't spend all of their cap on Chris Wingert. Now there's a player you can build around.

I know, I have an obsession with Mena, like some of you do with Saunders, so now I know what it feels like! While I'm watching a game, he's the guy I can't shake in the movie theater who is chomping on his popcorn at oppressive decibels.
I hope he doesn't cost us. He seems like a nice enough guy, and I was on his side for a while. Indeed, it's particularly disheartening as I recall over the summer, sharing celebratory drinks after the Red Bulls game with some of the folks on here, when I was asked who I thought was the game's MVP, I answered that, in my opinion, Mena was the biggest difference-maker. I really hope that somehow, some way, I can get back on board.

Here is your starting lineup.

Based on Soccer-in-the-City, I think Jack slides into midfield for the first time, but may switch with TMac along the way.

Based on Viewfrom226 Viewfrom226's observation about Houston attacking down the left, I think we see Hernandez anchoring our right side.

IMG_8142.JPG

Bench: Lurch, TonyTiger, Hey Mikey!, Mix, 6-Train, RJ, White

I know, I have an obsession with Mena, like some of you do with Saunders, so now I know what it feels like! While I'm watching a game, he's the guy I can't shake in the movie theater who is chomping on his popcorn at oppressive decibels.
I hope he doesn't cost us. He seems like a nice enough guy, and I was on his side for a while. Indeed, it's particularly disheartening as I recall over the summer, sharing celebratory drinks after the Red Bulls game with some of the folks on here, when I was asked who I thought was the game's MVP, I answered that, in my opinion, Mena was the biggest difference-maker. I really hope that somehow, some way, I can get back on board.
Haha, him, Saunders, and Hernandez are the three guys that when they have the ball at their feet, or a pass is played back to them, I let out a very audible "Oh god".

Reactions: gbservis and JayH
Would he start Chanot at RB in his modified 3-4-3 formation? I could live with that but obviously prefer him at CB.

Would he start Chanot at RB in his modified 3-4-3 formation? I could live with that but obviously prefer him at CB.
For this game? No, chanot is out and I'm pretty fearful he's going to be out into the playoffs.

An aside, did anyone see Mix on a bus on Instagram yesterday? Any chance he was on the NYCFC shuttle to the airport?

For this game? No, chanot is out and I'm pretty fearful he's going to be out into the playoffs.

An aside, did anyone see Mix on a bus on Instagram yesterday? Any chance he was on the NYCFC shuttle to the airport?

I think a page before there was a quote that Chanot could be available this week?

I think a page before there was a quote that Chanot could be available this week?
The quote was from PV's post-game presser on Friday saying he hoped Chanot would be available. But since that presser, all information has pointed to him being out for this game.

Hopefully we will have him back for the playoffs. Would be nice if he has the opportunity to come off the bench in the regular season finale as well to gain some fitness back.