Away - 10/31 Columbus - 1st Leg ECS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting from Araos:

To strike the right balance of containing the Crew while pursuing a road goal, The Pigeons need strong two-way play from their wingers. Jack Harrison and Rodney Wallace are probably going to get the nod on Tuesday and have had successes and struggles in defending and attacking over the season. Both will be responsible for preventing Columbus’ fullbacks, Hector Jimenez and Harrison Afful, from supporting the midfield and joining the attack. If Jimenez and Afful are able to do so, the Crew are not only going to be able to better retain possession in advanced positions but will be able to stretch City’s defense and create space for playmaker Federico Higuaín to drift into and craft opportunities on goal.

Although much of their work in keeping Jimenez and Afful contained will take place behind the ball, Harrison and Wallace have to take them on when they are in possession for City to truly nullify Columbus. Although he was the team’s second-leading scorer, Harrison only has two goals since the beginning of July while Wallace has not scored since May. A look at data from American Soccer Analysis shows, Harrison outscored his expected goals (xGD 3.62) by almost as much as Wallace underscored his (xGD -3.98) which would suggest that their combined 14 goals is a pretty fair reflection of their performance this season.

Harrison and Wallace are also a mixed bag when it comes to their ability to successfully dribble at defenders. According to WhoScored, Harrison averages almost as many successful dribbles per game as David Villa while Wallace averages as many as Khiry Shelton. Fortunately for them, neither Jimenez nor Afful are exceptionally guardian defenders. So even if there’s no guarantee that Harrison or Wallace will create a goal from taking their defenders on, chances are they can have enough success with it to keep them honest.

Fucking yikes, Rodney.

What I'd like to see:

Mata-Villa-Harrison
Herrera-Max-Ring
Sweat-Callens-Brillant-White
Johnson

Bench: Lewis, Wallace, Lopez, Struna, Tommy, Sands, Lurch

What I think It'll be:

Wallace-Villa-Harrison
Herrera-Max-Ring
Sweat-Callens-Brillant-White
Johnson

Bench: Shelton, Mata, Lewis, Tommy, Pirlo, Lopez, Lurch
Need to have 3 offensive subs on the bench. Okoli needs to be part of the equation. No need to take Tommy - if we loose a midfielder, play a 424 and go more direct like we do at the end of games.

Need to have 3 offensive subs on the bench. Okoli needs to be part of the equation. No need to take Tommy - if we loose a midfielder, play a 424 and go more direct like we do at the end of games.

Good point, but we haven't seen Okoli since 23 minutes on September 9th! Do you feel comfortable having him enter the game in the 70th minute down a goal?

Though in fairness, (and I had to look this up) Lewis has played 20 FUCKING MINUTES!! over the same time. That's ridiculous - WTF is wrong with Vieira???

Good point, but we haven't seen Okoli since 23 minutes on September 9th! Do you feel comfortable having him enter the game in the 70th minute down a goal?

Though in fairness, (and I had to look this up) Lewis has played 20 FUCKING MINUTES!! over the same time. That's ridiculous - WTF is wrong with Vieira???
I have more confidence in Okoli scoring a goal than I do with TMac not stalling the attack with self-inflicted mistakes and back passes.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
Lewis is a terrible defender. Doesn't mean he only deserved 20 minutes but he's not good on the other side of the pitch.

Oh for Effs Sake, Patrick. You just can’t help yourself can you.

giphy.gif

I will keep my pitchfork down until the lineup actually gets posted, but seriously? Did he learn nothing from last year? Why the hell would he mess with the midfield?
It has to just be coach-speak and letting Columbus overthink about who can be out there. Or at least I'm trying to convince myself that that's it.

And is that statement that he is considering all of them as 8's? Or Mata and Lewis as options for tomorrow and TMac is an option at 8 for tomorrow?

PV isn't this dumb to mess with the lineup, but I wouldn't put it past him to take out Ring or Herrera late to try and snag a[n extra] goal.

Reactions: Kjbert
Is Herrera hurt? Only McNamara really makes sense in that position. Mata and Lewis play on the wings. Vieira playing the psychological game. Hopefully he doesn't outsmart himself.
TMac is the worst person to play a #8. The role requires non-stop box to box movement and the penguin doesn’t come close to having the ability. He’s recently changed his game to pointing to where everybody else should run.

We’re gonna get smacked if he’s in the midfield.

TMac is the worst person to play a #8. The role requires non-stop box to box movement and the penguin doesn’t come close to having the ability. He’s recently changed his game to pointing to where everybody else should run.

We’re gonna get smacked if he’s in the midfield.

Someone should just put down a lawn chair at the top of the 18 and have TMac sit in it and wait for the ball to unleash a banger.

Saw this on twitter before. I chuckled to myself until I just read about these “line up surprises”. Ffs Patrick.

Attachments

• 6C185633-2A55-4296-94DC-D8DC642E5C1E.jpeg
    6C185633-2A55-4296-94DC-D8DC642E5C1E.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: adam and Ulrich
Status
Not open for further replies.