Chicago (Away) - Postmatch

i cant tell if thats in the box or not but my interpretation of the rules is that if its in the box hes fine, if he punches it and its outside the area its a red. He is deliberately trying to punch that ball. He needs to be aware of his own positioning.

ETA: I could be wrong, id have to go back and reread the rules.

EDIT 2: With my limited spanish i can make out at the end of the video the commentators are discussing whether or not he handled that inside or outside the box as well.

Last edited:
i cant tell if thats in the box or not but my interpretation of the rules is that if its in the box hes fine, if he punches it and its outside the area its a red. He is deliberately trying to punch that ball. He needs to be aware of his own positioning.

ETA: I could be wrong, id have to go back and reread the rules.

EDIT 2: With my limited spanish i can make out at the end of the video the commentators are discussing whether or not he handled that inside or outside the box as well.

A deiberate handball is punishable by at most a yellow, unless it is committed to prevent a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Given his definition of that above (has to prevent a ball that is clearly heading in or near the goal) and the fact that the offensive player had no possession whatsoever, how could it have been a DOGSO?

The offensive player needs to have possession or be likely to gain possession, neither of which I think were true here -- but that's a judgement call for sure.

That was an incredible dead ball bounce -- not sure how that ball seemed to bounce straight up. Must have some wicked backspin.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20190528-170535_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190528-170923_Chrome.jpg

Just before and after the punch. Sorry cant get a better still of the actual punch on my phone, but from the second picture, you can get a good idea. His body appears far enough behind the line that he probably didn't reach over, and if he did, it wouldn't be conclusive enough.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Breaking it down to precise frames. Here is 1 preceding and the moment of punch.

BuN4y9H.png

wyXMgs3.png

Again, angles can do funny things to perspective and relative location. But based on the Chicago player's position and forward (toward goal) momentum in the first pic, the ball seems like it's in the box. Also, if you look at the shadows, they are angled toward the Chicago goal. In the punch picture it looks like SJ's entire shadow is still in the box.

I'd need some pretty compelling evidence to overturn this and give him a red card. I think they made the right call.

Thanks for this. Breaking it down to precise frames. Here is 1 preceding and the moment of punch.

BuN4y9H.png

wyXMgs3.png

Again, angles can do funny things to perspective and relative location. But based on the Chicago player's position and forward (toward goal) momentum in the first pic, the ball seems like it's in the box. Also, if you look at the shadows, they are angled toward the Chicago goal. In the punch picture it looks like SJ's entire shadow is still in the box.

I'd need some pretty compelling evidence to overturn this and give him a red card. I think they made the right call.
While I’m not sure the shadows are telltale - SJ’s is a single line (from his tree-trunk body) yet his arms don’t show on the ground, so unclear how far he extends when outstretched - it is so incredibly close that the frame by frame doesn’t even show the actual contact - the second frame still shows a slight gap between fist/ball.

That just shows how split-second the play was in real time and the difficulty for anybody (not perfectly perpendicular to the play) to make more than a snap-judgment on it. It was ambiguous at best which was why I was surprised there was no replay.

Seeing this, I’m cool with the decision. I’m just not sure how the ref, from down the field, was so sure.

Seeing this, I’m cool with the decision. I’m just not sure how the ref, from down the field, was so sure.
Well I think a big piece is because it’s clear that it’s not clear and obvious. The VAR refs could have seen it and decided there was no way clear and obvious could be established.

I know some are split here, but if the ref believes that that contact outside the box would only be a yellow, then there would be no reason to review it as a FK outside the box or a potential yellow isn’t reviewable

BuN4y9H.png

wyXMgs3.png

Send this to the guy that measures offside...