Chicago (Away) - Postmatch

For those who were able to watch the game, did they ever correct this?
I don't think so. They certainly didn't do it within a few minutes of the error even though they showed multiple replays and the camera kept lingering on Mitrita. They also did not correct it at the most likely time which would have been coming back from halftime.
I think the colour analyst knew it at the time but chose not to correct his partner.

I don't think so. They certainly didn't do it within a few minutes of the error even though they showed multiple replays and the camera kept lingering on Mitrita. They also did not correct it at the most likely time which would have been coming back from halftime.
I think the colour analyst knew it at the time but chose not to correct his partner.
They corrected it and joked about confusing the two bald guys.

Sorry, got to disagree with a lot of you. 1pt was fortunate to get - the Fire figured out Dome's new formation and were constantly overloading the defenders and walking the ball in to the box. Chicago had the better of the chances up close and were called off a number of times for razor-thin positioning - NYCFC's defense did not look prepared for how Chicago constantly changed the point of attack.

I'm sure any opposing team would be fine limiting Mitrita to outside the box shots, and it was a beauty, but that sort of shot will not get converted often; Mitrita was basically useless otherwise with countless dribbles into congestion. Beyond him, didn't even really think we showed much bite save for the crossbar shot that was more a result of an outlet kick from Johnson and less of any sort of tactical nuanced buildup.

Also, there was never a good TV angle of Johnson's punch of the ball at the edge of the box, but it looked like he may have hit it outside. Very surprised there was no VAR of it because in real time it looked like his fists were outside of the box and should have been a Red. Not the first time he and his defenders weren't on the same page. Maybe it was the week off, or maybe Chicago figured out the through ball was something our team can't track.
Would that have been a red card? I wouldn’t think something that was so close as to require VAR could be judged intentional.

Would that have been a red card? I wouldn’t think something that was so close as to require VAR could be judged intentional.
If the keeper handles the ball outside of the box and is the last man..... and I’m confused what your definition of “intentional” is if not making the conscious decision to charge off his line and play the ball with his hands? It’s not as if he was just hanging out at the top of the box watching the Jumbotron and looked up to see the play had found him.

If the keeper handles the ball outside of the box and is the last man..... and I’m confused what your definition of “intentional” is if not making the conscious decision to charge off his line and play the ball with his hands? It’s not as if he was just hanging out at the top of the box watching the Jumbotron and looked up to see the play had found him.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Univision did not have any angles that could be used for a VAR on that play.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Univision did not have any angles that could be used for a VAR on that play.
You are probably right, because Univision, and if so it begs the question why MLS doesn’t mandate the same cameras for each and every match so that all games are contested with the same oversight?

Reactions: FootyLovin

I didn't see the play in question and was just basing what I said on your description. If it was as close as you described (and it had to be, given that it was called the other way and note even reviewed), I think that's a direct free kick from the spot if he was judged to have handled it. If he's a yard out of the box, direct kick and a red.

I didn't see the play in question and was just basing what I said on your description. If it was as close as you described (and it had to be, given that it was called the other way and note even reviewed), I think that's a direct free kick from the spot if he was judged to have handled it. If he's a yard out of the box, direct kick and a red.
If the keeper committed a foul via handball outside of the box, not sure what the difference is you’re alluding to if it was close to the line or a yard beyond - a hand ball is a hand ball is a hand ball (hence why you say a free kick is granted), and being last man is a denial of a goal scoring opportunity. Red card.

You are probably right, because Univision, and if so it begs the question why MLS doesn’t mandate the same cameras for each and every match so that all games are contested with the same oversight?

MLS does mandate specific camera locations and the minimum amount of cameras that must be used for every broadcast.

Reactions: Ulrich
If the keeper committed a foul via handball outside of the box, not sure what the difference is you’re alluding to if it was close to the line or a yard beyond - a hand ball is a hand ball is a hand ball (hence why you say a free kick is granted), and being last man is a denial of a goal scoring opportunity. Red card.
There's a difference between the keeper playing a ball that he feels is within the box, even if review shows he was an inch outside the box, vs. one that willingly plays the ball well outside the box because they know they misplayed it and they're fucked if they let the ball go past them. The first shouldn't be a red because the player was playing the ball with no intent for an illegal move, but ultimately turned out it was against the rules. A yellow and a free kick is fine. The second is knowingly breaking the rules to prevent a scoring chance, and should be a red.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
It's amazing we've argued at length about whether NYCFC committed a violation on a play that I've yet to see one Chicago fan complain about anywhere, including Reddit, Twitter, and mlssocer.com. This is not an issue.
It’s amazing you’re commenting on something you care not about.

A rule is the same as a law of the game, and as a lawyer you of all people shouldn’t shut down discussion if something appears contrary to the application of the rules.

Sorry, but if you aren’t interested in the discussion, just ignore it rather than criticize.

There's a difference between the keeper playing a ball that he feels is within the box, even if review shows he was an inch outside the box, vs. one that willingly plays the ball well outside the box because they know they misplayed it and they're fucked if they let the ball go past them. The first shouldn't be a red because the player was playing the ball with no intent for an illegal move, but ultimately turned out it was against the rules. A yellow and a free kick is fine. The second is knowingly breaking the rules to prevent a scoring chance, and should be a red.

The key word in the appropriate rule is "deliberate". I don't think the described scenario is deliberate.

For shits and giggles I sent the scenario to two "Ask the ref" sites and will report back!

And IMHO, arguing about the interpretations is fun and I won't let anyone garbowski me into not doing it.

It’s amazing you’re commenting on something you care not about.

A rule is the same as a law of the game, and as a lawyer you of all people shouldn’t shut down discussion if something appears contrary to the application of the rules.

Sorry, but if you aren’t interested in the discussion, just ignore it rather than criticize.
This is surprising coming from you since you post a decent amount about others putting words in your mouth. I don't think he said he didn't care or that it should be shut down. Unless I missed something in his post:
It's amazing we've argued at length about whether NYCFC committed a violation on a play that I've yet to see one Chicago fan complain about anywhere, including Reddit, Twitter, and mlssocer.com. This is not an issue.
In the other MLS thread I missed quite a bit in my post, so it's possible that's the case here as well. But I don't see him mention that at all.

What I've gathered here is basically pointing out the notion that this particular play isn't being discussed as controversial anywhere else. It's definitely interesting we are going really in depth about this when Chicago fans aren't.

I personally don't think if he did end up touching it outside the box, but am curious as to what FredMertz FredMertz gets in response from the ask the ref sites.

Here is the response from the first one, Dan Heldman of askasoccerreferee.com:

The operational definition of this offense is based on the referee’s opinion that, but for the handling, the ball would have either gone into the net or would have come close enough (e.g., a foot or so) that it probably could have. From 18 yards away, that conclusion would not be easily supported.

So he says if the the ref judged SJ to be out of the box, free kick and no caution.

This is surprising coming from you since you post a decent amount about others putting words in your mouth. I don't think he said he didn't care or that it should be shut down. Unless I missed something in his post:

In the other MLS thread I missed quite a bit in my post, so it's possible that's the case here as well. But I don't see him mention that at all.

What I've gathered here is basically pointing out the notion that this particular play isn't being discussed as controversial anywhere else. It's definitely interesting we are going really in depth about this when Chicago fans aren't.

I personally don't think if he did end up touching it outside the box, but am curious as to what FredMertz FredMertz gets in response from the ask the ref sites.
He said it was “not an issue,” after commenting on how amazing it is the amount it’s been debated while nobody from Chicago (to his knowledge) has brought it up. Did he outright say he didn’t care about it, no, but he also wasn’t an active/recent participant in the conversation until that post, so the lack of engagement prior to critique is telling since Mark doesn’t suffer writing posts without a purpose.

And whether Chicago fans are up in arms over it or not is inconsequential- I like to think the team I support plays by the rules, and wins/loses by proper implementation of the rules, and I call things out as I see them and don’t simply take a Homer’s perspective with blinders on.

Here is the response from the first one, Dan Heldman of askasoccerreferee.com:

The operational definition of this offense is based on the referee’s opinion that, but for the handling, the ball would have either gone into the net or would have come close enough (e.g., a foot or so) that it probably could have. From 18 yards away, that conclusion would not be easily supported.

So he says if the the ref judged SJ to be out of the box, free kick and no caution.
Doesn’t seem like the guy fully grasped the play, because it wasn’t an issue of a defender stopping a sure goal on the goal line , but rather if SJ didn’t play it then the attacker was positionally able to either shoot or touch the ball past SJ to an area with a wide open net.

Also, the free kick/no caution sets a precedent that the best thing to alway do is challenge for the ball and claim ignorance to the proximity of the line if outside of it. Completely stops the flow of the play and saves a dangerous play.

When did this event happen? Is there video available?
It looks like at 34:59 according to the box score as that is when Sean Johnson was credited with a punch just inside the top of the box. As far as video, I'm sure its not in any highlights or anything, so you'd have to go to the stream of the game on Univision's twitter.