Columbus - Postmatch

Khiry was serviceable when he moved inside to play as a Target Forward

I saw a kid in a Red Bulls BWP jersey at this game. And I said to myself, "Why?"

I'm starting to believe there are a lot more pure soccer fans in Queens than the Bronx. And if we had a stadium there we could pick them up, even those who currently support the NJRB. Especially kids whose parents would rather commute 15 minutes than 1 hour plus.

I'm starting to believe there are a lot more pure soccer fans in Queens than the Bronx. And if we had a stadium there we could pick them up, even those who currently support the NJRB. Especially kids whose parents would rather commute 15 minutes than 1 hour plus.

by moving to Queens, NYCFC might lose all 6 supporters Connecticut supporters, 15 from westchester and 20 from upstate. But for each of those aforementioned places, you will gain at least twice as many in Queens, Long Island and maybe even Brooklyn.

Always felt that Bronx has the baseball Latinos and Queens the soccer Latinos. Impossible to really know who was a first timer or whatnot, but the crowd in Queens was all that it is in YS.

The fact that we put 20k in the seats in an alternate venue in a different borough -- with a presold season ticket base of 0 -- tells me
  • the team is a good draw under bad conditions, and
  • Queens wants soccer.

Don't forget on a week's notice. Granted the prices were a little lower than normal, but to sell out like that so quickly had to turn the club's head just a little.

The fact that we put 20k in the seats in an alternate venue in a different borough -- with a presold season ticket base of 0 -- tells me
  • the team is a good draw under bad conditions, and
  • Queens wants soccer.
You obviously didn't see the banners on the fence along 126th St. :D

Reactions: Kjbert and LionNYC
Don't forget on a week's notice. Granted the prices were a little lower than normal, but to sell out like that so quickly had to turn the club's head just a little.

The club should be ringing Moya and Katz today with this news. Selling 20k tickets in a week is amazing - with zero season tickets already sold.

"Hey guys, we can get 20k people at a moments notice. Give us that stadium."

I don't know what you're referring to, but my guess is they were put up by the remaining denizens of Willets Point who are justifiably unhappy with being forcibly evicted?
I would have been more cynical and said people looking to raise their buyout price by creating a false impression of opposition, but yeah, probably.

by moving to Queens, NYCFC might lose all 6 supporters Connecticut supporters, 15 from westchester and 20 from upstate. But for each of those aforementioned places, you will gain at least twice as many in Queens, Long Island and maybe even Brooklyn.

It's actually not all that different of a trip for those of us from up there. I am a buyer in either location.

Always felt that Bronx has the baseball Latinos and Queens the soccer Latinos. Impossible to really know who was a first timer or whatnot, but the crowd in Queens was all that it is in YS.

I think that was definitely true before the big influx of Mexicans that started about 20 years ago, because I think a lot of Mexicans ended in the Bronx. But traditionally I think the Bronx was more Dominican, and Queens has always had Colombians, Ecuadorians and Peruvians.

Did he slip or was he pushed? The Ref let that one go and the moment he did I was worried about the counter with too few defenders and too much green in between.
It looked very soft to me. I don't think it was a foul.

I thought he slipped cleanly but was probably fouled after that when he was trying to get back up and maintain possession. That was from watching it live, however. I haven't seen a replay. It was hardly clear cut.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I was harsh on the "We want Pirlo" fans near me in an earlier post, so I also want to share a much more pleasant Pirlo story. There was a young woman sitting next to my family who had a "Pirlo Te Amo" sign. She was trying to get his attention all game. When the players returned to the bench after halftime (the NYC bench was more or less right in front of us) she walked down the steps to the railing, held it up and got a bunch of people to shout his name as he came back. He heard, looked up and waved a couple of times and as she returned to her seat she was just beaming. That was sweet.

So, I was annoyed at the people who wanted him to play because he was good 5 years ago in another country when we're fighting for a playoff bye. But if you just want an interaction with him that doesn't screw up the team's chances; I'm all for it.
YES YOU WERE HARSH in your early're post !! Were you wearing the tee shirt i suggested you get ??? You never let us forum members know how you handled your clothing dilemma ?? ....But as to this Pleasant Pirlo Story Remember this you with ski to your last name New York's 5 boroughs are Very ITALIAN ! So we Love because we Love !! And that woman you're telling everybody about was me . I just didn't want to tell you who i was in case of any trouble . :p:p

Reactions: mgarbowski
I was planning on attending this match in person, but ultimately decided against it in the end. Was getting back from my brother's bachelor party in Miami. Probably only got about 8 hours of sleep all weekend, with 2 of those coming on the flight back. Getting back to my apartment on the UES at 3pm, definitely did not want to deal with trekking out to Queens, so I watched at home.

I know several others have already stated it, but the crowd sounded fantastic on TV. Much, much louder than other home matches at YS.

Ring was a complete boss. Lewis was extremely dangerous, Villa started to look back like himself again.

A few other items:
  • Just before Columbus' second goal, the cross was played in and deflected out for the corner. Based on what I saw on the live feed, as well as the initial replay, it looked to me like it went of Brillant's arm in the box and could have potentially been a PK. Ref was receiving word for a while before he signaled corner, but it could have potentially gone to VAR. It was honestly difficult for me to tell without a slower replay shown, so I'm not certain how "natural" the arm position was and if it really should have been a PK or not. Either way, it ended up not mattering as they scored off the corner.
  • There's been some criticism on Brillant for the first goal, and perhaps he could have done better. But that was a freaking amazing ball by Higuain. What an incredible assist on that, and a sweet one-time finish by Kamara. I honestly just felt that I had to tip my cap to those two guys for that.
  • Since the game was not on YES, I was watching on FSGo and ended up getting the eventual lag that often occurs with watching a feed. However, I forgot to turn my notifications off on my phone. So as I'm watching on my laptop and the game is in the 89' minute or so, I get the notification that it ended 2-2. So the whole Villa missed PK drama escaped me a bit as when I was watching it, I knew it wasn't going in.
Obviously our situation regarding where our home playoff game will be held has been decided, but can we somehow convince Khiry that YS is unavailable and we're playing back at Citi again?

A few other items:
  • Just before Columbus' second goal, the cross was played in and deflected out for the corner. Based on what I saw on the live feed, as well as the initial replay, it looked to me like it went of Brillant's arm in the box and could have potentially been a PK. Ref was receiving word for a while before he signaled corner, but it could have potentially gone to VAR. It was honestly difficult for me to tell without a slower replay shown, so I'm not certain how "natural" the arm position was and if it really should have been a PK or not. Either way, it ended up not mattering as they scored off the corner.
  • There's been some criticism on Brillant for the first goal, and perhaps he could have done better. But that was a freaking amazing ball by Higuain. What an incredible assist on that, and a sweet one-time finish by Kamara. I honestly just felt that I had to tip my cap to those two guys for that.
  • Since the game was not on YES, I was watching on FSGo and ended up getting the eventual lag that often occurs with watching a feed. However, I forgot to turn my notifications off on my phone. So as I'm watching on my laptop and the game is in the 89' minute or so, I get the notification that it ended 2-2. So the whole Villa missed PK drama escaped me a bit as when I was watching it, I knew it wasn't going in.
Obviously our situation regarding where our home playoff game will be held has been decided, but can we somehow convince Khiry that YS is unavailable and we're playing back at Citi again?

Fully agree with those first two bullets. I saw the ref standing there with his hand to his ear and knew they were taking another look at the cross. Live, it seemed to me to glance off his chest and then his arm, but I and others were very nervous at that moment.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
The Brillant hate at this point is incredibly unjustified, the guy has been rock solid since coming in for Chanot. The back line has been continuously solid. I agree with SoupInNYC SoupInNYC that there was not much he could have done on the cross and there is a case to be made that it would be hard for him to jump with Williams using his shoulders as a launching pad on the other. But even if you don't agree and think he botched the plays those are two slips in a long streak of solid play no player will be perfect every play. People hating on him at this point are either being too lazy to reevaluate their position based on the bulk of his work this season or too stubborn to admit they were wrong.

Fully agree with those first two bullets. I saw the ref standing there with his hand to his ear and knew they were taking another look at the cross. Live, it seemed to me to glance off his chest and then his arm, but I and others were very nervous at that moment.
"Ball don't lie!"

I felt like I knew they were going to score off that corner when I saw the handball not awarded, but as mgarbowski mgarbowski (I believe) once epically explained, I'm probably just more likely to remember all the times my hunch was confirmed.

The Brillant hate at this point is incredibly unjustified, the guy has been rock solid since coming in for Chanot. The back line has been continuously solid. I agree with SoupInNYC SoupInNYC that there was not much he could have done on the cross and there is a case to be made that it would be hard for him to jump with Williams using his shoulders as a launching pad on the other. But even if you don't agree and think he botched the plays those are two slips in a long streak of solid play no player will be perfect every play. People hating on him at this point are either being too lazy to reevaluate their position based on the bulk of his work this season or too stubborn to admit they were wrong.
Agreed 100%. On top of that Brillant cleared a ball from goal in a scramble towards the end of the game and saved Villa from an own goal. I think it started with a corner (the one thing I'm not sure about) but of the rest I am certain: Johnson made a weak punch and the ball floated up without going far. Villa, fighting with 2 teammates to clear it, headed the ball directly to goal while Johnson was still scrambling around. Brillant headed Villa's near disaster away. Would have been a very disappointing hat trick for the Captain.
Little he could do on the first goal. On the second, well sometimes the other guys just make a play.