DC Postmatch

I have seen folks on the FB pages discussing it this week and there sadly is a contingency who somehow believe it is acceptable. It's fucking sad and disgusting that anyone would think it's appropriate. I don't care whether you believe there is an interpretation of the word that has a different meaning, it has an offensive connotation to many/most and that should be enough. I would love to see some thought as to a different chant to be cheered by others simultaneously during goal kicks to drown out anyone who continues to offend. I don't care what it is, whether it's blue go, City, pigeon, or anything that would help the cause. It sadly doesn't look like some will stop, so there has to be an effort to overpower them vocally. People are strange.
The guy I was arguing with kept telling me "Everyone has their own opinion, man". So I responded with "What's your opinion" and his only response was to say again "Everyone has their own opinion." Would not address at all my points on it being extremely homophobic and disrespectful.

Agree on the simultaneous different chant idea. joe joe what were they doing over there? I'm not creative enough to start doing something different on my own, haha.

I do think there were some people that jumped in on it because others were doing it and an alternative chant would grab those people on board for sure.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
I have seen folks on the FB pages discussing it this week and there sadly is a contingency who somehow believe it is acceptable. It's fucking sad and disgusting that anyone would think it's appropriate. I don't care whether you believe there is an interpretation of the word that has a different meaning, it has an offensive connotation to many/most and that should be enough. I would love to see some thought as to a different chant to be cheered by others simultaneously during goal kicks to drown out anyone who continues to offend. I don't care what it is, whether it's blue go, City, pigeon, or anything that would help the cause. It sadly doesn't look like some will stop, so there has to be an effort to overpower them vocally. People are strange.
I'm pretty sure a few teams have actually made public efforts to stamp it out (as opposed to just security ejecting people). Houston and Chicago come to mind. Would be nice to see NYCFC come out with a statement on it if it persists.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
The guy I was arguing with kept telling me "Everyone has their own opinion, man". So I responded with "What's your opinion" and his only response was to say again "Everyone has their own opinion." Would not address at all my points on it being extremely homophobic and disrespectful.

Agree on the simultaneous different chant idea. joe joe what were they doing over there? I'm not creative enough to start doing something different on my own, haha.

I do think there were some people that jumped in on it because others were doing it and an alternative chant would grab those people on board for sure.
It would be great if there were a coordinated effort amongst the sections and supporters groups. Maybe this already is/has been in the works. I think I saw that HOO was addressing this (apologies if I am mistaken) roxfontaine any developments on this front from the TR side?

We can turn this into a positive by using it as an opportunity to develop another homegrown tradition of chanting whatever the substitute turns out to be, and soon forget that the original purpose was to drown out the puto chants.

I'll defer to someone in the section ( Goodfella Goodfella?), but it sounded like "You sh*t b*stard (beat) Oh! Oh! Oh!". Hard to capture the rhythm in writing, but hopefully I got the gist of it.

Agree that people tend to bandwagon the p chant without really knowing what it means when they see people around them yelling it.

Reactions: Goodfella
I'll defer to someone in the section ( Goodfella Goodfella?), but it sounded like "You sh*t b*stard (beat) Oh! Oh! Oh!". Hard to capture the rhythm in writing, but hopefully I got the gist of it.

Agree that people tend to bandwagon the p chant without really knowing what it means when they see people around them yelling it.
just about, pal.

start with the hands straight up, fingers wiggling as the 'Keeper preps for the kick.....
"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
'Keeper kicks it
"YOU SHIT BASTARD!"
"ARRGGGGHHHH"
"ARRGGGGHHHH"
"ARRGGGGHHHH"

it plays out really well. You know it's a hit when you see the 8 yo's a few rows down going "ARRGGGGHHHH" .
Winning hearts & minds

Reactions: Jock, joe and adam
just about, pal.

start with the hands straight up, fingers wiggling as the 'Keeper preps for the kick.....
'Keeper kicks it
"YOU SHIT BASTARD!"
"ARRGGGGHHHH"
"ARRGGGGHHHH"
"ARRGGGGHHHH"

it plays out really well. You know it's a hit when you see the 8 yo's a few rows down going "ARRGGGGHHHH" .
Winning hearts & minds
Do people these days still say, "I guess you had to be there"? ;)

I'm pretty sure a few teams have actually made public efforts to stamp it out (as opposed to just security ejecting people). Houston and Chicago come to mind. Would be nice to see NYCFC come out with a statement on it if it persists.

http://fusion.net/story/286018/mexi...puto-chant-with-anti-discrimination-campaign/

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2...supporters-take-stand-against-offensive-cheer

http://www.mnunitedfc.com/news/2016/06/23/united-stands-against-hate

Reactions: Paul, joe and JayH

The effort by Houston is great. I like that they got the club involved with the pre-game video. If any of you are Islanders fans and remember, a few years ago fans booed the Canadian anthem at a home game. The next time they played a Canadian team, there was a video played with all the Canadian players from the team simply saying "I am Canadian" and it seemed to work.

Well, the guy who stole your trademark lid and one of your cool kits should be arrested for impersonation!
uh oh! this might require an investigation. Can't have dopplegangers running around NYC!

Reactions: JayH
Mos def will swing by over the next couple of games. By the way, were you on 72nd St on the UWS yesterday afternoon?!?
Wait, he's a fan too???

120229-mos-def.png

Reactions: Goodfella and JayH
Heard it loud and clear in 136. It definitely took some of the joy out of the end of the game. I was waiting a few days after the game to discuss as I didn't want to put a damper on our post-game celebration.

I'm going to draft an email to send to the club, see how high I can get the conversation to go. See what they can/will do about it.

Anyone interested/willing to help me wordsmith this, please pm me.

I only noticed it once, although I wasn't really looking for it. I did note that it was nearly drowned out by people doing other things.

just about, pal.

'Keeper kicks it
"YOU SHIT BASTARD!"
"ARRGGGGHHHH"
"ARRGGGGHHHH"
"ARRGGGGHHHH"

Winning hearts & minds

This may be more PC, but I think it is even worse.

What's wrong with "Gooooooooooo CITY!"