Home 08/20 Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Iraola is now square in the middle of where things get physical, I guess.

One thing about the red cards that really bugs me is that it's really unusual for refs to red card anyone for dissent. Sometimes a coach, but that's usually because he has left the technical area, which is not an issue here. Typically the worst you get for dissent is a yellow, and that's after the ref has given a warning.

We don't really know what happened here. Maybe Stoica told them both the game was over, and they needed to stop. Maybe someone touched Stoica in a way he found aggressive (which is certainly a red card). There seems to be some accusation of profanity, but that doesn't get you a red card anywhere outside of England.

One thing about the red cards that really bugs me is that it's really unusual for refs to red card anyone for dissent. Sometimes a coach, but that's usually because he has left the technical area, which is not an issue here. Typically the worst you get for dissent is a yellow, and that's after the ref has given a warning.

We don't really know what happened here. Maybe Stoica told them both the game was over, and they needed to stop. Maybe someone touched Stoica in a way he found aggressive (which is certainly a red card). There seems to be some accusation of profanity, but that doesn't get you a red card anywhere outside of England.
It took all 3 attempts, but you convinced me!;)

Referee assignment...Thoughts?

New York City v LA Galaxy
Yankee Stadium (3:00pm ET)
REF: JAIR MARRUFO
AR1: Corey Rockwell
AR2: Eric Boria
4TH: Jorge Gonzalez

It took all 3 attempts, but you convinced me!;)

Ha!

Sorry. I kept getting error messages every time I hit reply and refreshing didn't change things. Then, all of a sudden, there they all were. Maybe a mod can delete.
Referee assignment...Thoughts?

New York City v LA Galaxy
Yankee Stadium (3:00pm ET)
REF: JAIR MARRUFO
AR1: Corey Rockwell
AR2: Eric Boria
4TH: Jorge Gonzalez

I hadn't heard of this guy before, but I looked up his bio, and he's been an MLS ref almost from the beginning and did the MLS Cup last year.

Chanot suspension upheld. I assume Vieira will also remain suspended.
This really bothers me. We don't know the details but I'm sure both sides acted to aggressive. Vieira and Chanot could have gotten their point across more professionaly and the ref does not have to be so thin skinned to report. Bad for the fans.

Reactions: Fantazma
I'd be quite content to let the ref card anybody that gets in their face after a call if they aren't the captain. That's the point of the captain - to be the liaison to the ref, ala a union rep. When teams take to the mob mentality of swarming the ref and abusing him with countless insults and screaming, it would be very fitting for them to all find themselves either ejected or sitting on a card. The first time a team goes down to 8 men versus 11, there will be a newfound level of respect and discourse shown towards the man in the middle.

And I'm not defending a ref's horrible calls as not to be challenged, but arguing them is the role of the captain, in a respectful manner, and after the game by the team lodging a protest if warranted.
In baseball, it's more or less if you touch an ump you're ejected and fined. End of story.

This sounds awesome. Wish I could be there to see it (out on family vacation). How did this come about?
After the red wedding she was very upset by the fan behavior toward our players. She wrote a very nice letter to the team about still supporting them. Chin up and such. My rep has been looking for something to do for her since.

#mobilepost

What footballing celebrities do you think will attend this match? Lampard said he has from friends from Chelsea coming to see him play. Obviously the Premier League is playing so nobody active will be coming to the Bronx.

English national teammates? Chelsea teammates? Liverpool teammates (Gerrard)?

What footballing celebrities do you think will attend this match? Lampard said he has from friends from Chelsea coming to see him play. Obviously the Premier League is playing so nobody active will be coming to the Bronx.

English national teammates? Chelsea teammates? Liverpool teammates (Gerrard)?
Not a celebrity as such but I listen to TalkSport on SiriusXM and they have a reporter in the States for Saturday's match and he is then going to Seattle. TalkSport is a talk sports radio station out of London. His trip is being sponsored by MLS themselves. He is doing a report on the MLS in general but he/they are very keen to see NYCFC/LAG. Interviews with Lampard, Pirlo, Gerrard, etc. Even mentioned it was a star powered match AND in YS. Interested to hear his take on it next week.

Which is exactly why the league needs to come out and say what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.