Home - 09/09 Portland

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other side, is you keep playing hard until you are eliminated. We have a chance, albeit small, at the supporters shield. I would hate to see Toronto lose some surprise results, and we are not there to take advantage of it. It also forces them to continue to play starters to secure the shield, potentially tiring them for the playoffs.

[herm.edwards.gif]

why is everyone wanting the supporters shield.....it doesnt even give us a CCL spot for the next two years.

its very meh since winning the MLS cup is what its about in this league

Reactions: 413Blue and adam
why is everyone wanting the supporters shield.....it doesnt even give us a CCL spot for the next two years.

its very meh since winning the MLS cup is what its about in this league

Eh, it's something to win. If you asked me to choose I'd rather have the MLS Cup, but as they say...

giphy.gif

Eh, it's something to win. If you asked me to choose I'd rather have the MLS Cup, but as they say...

giphy.gif

i get that....but if we talking about MLS cup>SS.....then no need to go balls out in regular season ( until playoff spot secured, at least the second spot) then i can sacrifice supporters shield for a run at the MLS cup

i mean RB got two of them....and yet no one seems to care....outside of the two banners they have hung up.

How do I apply to become a Real Football Fan? Do I send my application straight to you, or do you have a team of associates doing your gatekeeping for you?

There's no application. Just what's in your heart.

I have a team of Associates, but they're busy with other stuff like doing my work and studying for FINRA exams.

There's no application. Just what's in your heart.

I have a team of Associates, but they're busy with other stuff like doing my work and studying for FINRA exams.

I'm currently dragging my feet on the 79 actually. Not required for my current role, but could open up some opportunities.

Reactions: Kjbert
SS would be incredible.

Real football fans know SS is for the true winner.

MLS Cup is stupid American shit.

You're wrong. You're so wrong its not even funny.

This is the US, the winner of the league is the winner of the playoff that occurs at the end of the season. Stop trying to import shitty European sporting concepts into a better designed system.

Disregarding what I said above, you're also completely wrong under the rules of the Eurotrash system you seem to idolize. You realize that in order for that SS winner = real winner garbage to have any meaning what so ever the league must have a balanced schedule. As of right now, and for the rest of time, MLS will have an unbalanced schedule due to the number of teams in the league versus total number of games played. There are teams that have more difficult and less difficult overall seasons, the basic logic behind the regular season winner being the overall winner requires that everyone play an equal season, which is clearly not and will never be the case in the US.

You're wrong. Everything is funny.

And my main point is winning SS would be amazing. N'est-ce pas?

SS would be incredible.

Real football fans know SS is for the true winner.

MLS Cup is stupid American shit.

Would winning the SS be nice, maybe, but I put little stock in it. Your own words seem to contradict themselves though.

Care to refute my argument? Or do you concede the point that the SS is a useless trophy without a balanced schedule?

Reactions: Vallos and Kjbert
Would winning the SS be nice, maybe, but I put little stock in it. Your own words seem to contradict themselves though.

Care to refute my argument? Or do you concede the point that the SS is a useless trophy without a balanced schedule?

i think hes just fucking with you to be honest, but you make some good points and some bad points. Because of the schedule and just because of how were set up i dont think its more important the the Cup itself. That said i still think theres some prestige that comes along with winning it. Europe is all just set up differently i dont think it makes it any better or worse, but us americans sure do love our playoffs to decide it all, and theres nothing wrong with that.

Do I care to get into an extensive Internet debate with you on the topic?

Not really. Everyone is free to think and feel what they want about the matter. I don't care to change anyone's mind.

I get what you are saying about the balanced schedule, but I concede nothing. Especially not that SS is a useless trophy.

The Supporters' Shield would be great. It is a significant piece of silverware for any MLS club, and it would be our first.

Yes, the MLS Cup is the bigger, more prestigious prize, but that doesn't mean you ignore the other ones you can win. Plus, the winner of the Supporters' Shield is often held up (correctly) as the best team in the league. Finishing first in a 34 game contest is a much better and fairer test than surviving the vagaries of a playoff run, even with the impact of unbalanced scheduling (which rarely makes a real difference anyway). Yes, I'd rather win the MLS Cup, but the Supporters' Shield is a real trophy and deserves to be chased.

The Supporters' Shield would be great. It is a significant piece of silverware for any MLS club, and it would be our first.

Yes, the MLS Cup is the bigger, more prestigious prize, but that doesn't mean you ignore the other ones you can win. Plus, the winner of the Supporters' Shield is often held up (correctly) as the best team in the league. Finishing first in a 34 game contest is a much better and fairer test than surviving the vagaries of a playoff run, even with the impact of unbalanced scheduling (which rarely makes a real difference anyway). Yes, I'd rather win the MLS Cup, but the Supporters' Shield is a real trophy and deserves to be chased.

EDIT: i cant read....lol i still think it makes a difference playing DC three times than say toronto three times

Reactions: Kjbert
Or do you concede the point that the SS is a useless trophy without a balanced schedule?
Playoffs aren't balanced either. Based on current standings, we could have to face Chicago and then Toronto, then still be forced to beat some dipshit West team who didn't have to beat anyone better than the 3rd or even 4th best team in the East.

So you can base your championship on an unbalanced set of 34 games, or an unbalanced set of 5-6 games. The former is clearly more meaningful than the latter. If there is some reason why the playoffs are superior, it sure as hell has nothing to do with a balanced schedule.

Having made this logic point, I withdraw. This is a subject I have little interest in debating. But nobody ever challenges this "balanced schedule" argument even though it's nonsense on its face.

we're a team thats been in the league for 3 years. winning the SS would be a big step in the right direction. it's a more attainable goal the mls cup.
if say, this was year 20 and we've had absolutely nothing to go for us then i'd be on the opposite side of the spectrum and say we have to make an mls cup run

Reactions: Joseph Bianco
we're a team thats been in the league for 3 years. winning the SS would be a big step in the right direction. it's a more attainable goal the mls cup.
if say, this was year 20 and we've had absolutely nothing to go for us then i'd be on the opposite side of the spectrum and say we have to make an mls cup run

Good point. The counterargument is that the Supporters' Shield isn't very likely given Toronto's lead, performance to date and fairly easy schedule. The MLS Cup is always a crapshoot even for a really good team (like us), but this year's Shield might be an even longer shot at this point.

Reactions: Mario and Kjbert
Winning MLS Cup is a bigger deal than winning the Supporters Shield.

That being said, for a team in its 3rd year in existence to finish as the best American team is quite an accomplishment. For everyone that complains about roster construction, our Club may have the most points in MLS over the past two seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.