Home - 10/28 Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not confident in this team's ability to get a point even at home.

I can’t believe I am doing this but I’ll actually talk you off a cliff...for as crappy, crappy, crappy as NYCFC has been, they have only lost once in 16 games at home. If they needed to win, yeah, I’d join you in jumping off the bridge, but MLS teams usually get points at home. NYCFC will most likely get at least a point, even being the super tire fire that they are right now.

I can’t believe I am doing this but I’ll actually talk you off a cliff...for as crappy, crappy, crappy as NYCFC has been, they have only lost once in 16 games at home. If they needed to win, yeah, I’d join you in jumping off the bridge, but MLS teams usually get points at home. NYCFC will most likely get at least a point, even being the super tire fire that they are right now.

That’s what I’m saying! Things fell really well for us this week. We should be able to manage a point at home. And losing to DC hopefully jumps them out of 6, so we don’t have to see them again till at least the conf finals. A draw might actually be best to guarantee we get Columbus/Montreal at home.

My worry here is that playing for a tie could be the surest way to get to a loss.
The only real chance this team has is to say Fck it and come out playing fully attacking soccer with an attitude that they’re already losing before the opening whistle. Go 3-3-4 and push the tempo and try to force an early goal. It’s an all or nothing scenario really - a tie does zero for momentum and sends a message to the players that they’re backing into the playoffs rather than taking hold of the situation and imitating their will on the match. If they can’t win the match at home, in the last stanza of the season, then they’re not gonna magically lift themselves up mentally a week later in the playoffs when it’s all or nothing.

Reactions: JayH
The only real chance this team has is to say Fck it and come out playing fully attacking soccer with an attitude that they’re already losing before the opening whistle. Go 3-3-4 and push the tempo and try to force an early goal. It’s an all or nothing scenario really - a tie does zero for momentum and sends a message to the players that they’re backing into the playoffs rather than taking hold of the situation and imitating their will on the match. If they can’t win the match at home, in the last stanza of the season, then they’re not gonna magically lift themselves up mentally a week later in the playoffs when it’s all or nothing.
It's not even a week, it's only 4 days later so the win would definitely have some lasting impressions

We all know how to set up this team:
Back 4
Herrera - Ring - Maxi
Isi - Villa - Medina

About a 0% chance that will happen, as Amagat isn’t listed there somewhere.

Reactions: LionNYC and adam
Yes, this has been my Man U line lately "play like you are losing." Conveniently, things as they stand may be the best case scenario for salvaging a playoff run. Counting Philly which now really is like a playoff game, we can play three home playoff games in a row. If we can play desperate instead of tentative and confused, maybe we can (some how, some way) score some goals, and get on a roll with some confidence and belief. I have a feeling Villa is going to step in and lead this team both on and off of the field. He's respectful to "authority" but he doesn't want to go out like this.

I would pay $500 for a guaranteed candid conversation with Villa right now.

I'd pay $1,000 to hear the conversation that Villa is having with Ferran Soriano or Khaldoon. And $2,000 for the conversation he had with them regarding Kreis back in 2015.

Reactions: canchon
I'd pay $1,000 to hear the conversation that Villa is having with Ferran Soriano or Khaldoon. And $2,000 for the conversation he had with them regarding Kreis back in 2015.
I'm not sure Villa has much he can say to them about Dome. He worked with Torrent in Barcelona for 2-3 years. I would be shocked if he was not consulted in advance about the hiring, or if Torrent was hired over Villa's objections. He does not seem the type to run back to them complaining under those circumstances. And I can imagine they might ask him if he has second thoughts, but they would wait until the season ends, I think, rather than stir anything up.

I'm not sure Villa has much he can say to them about Dome. He worked with Torrent in Barcelona for 2-3 years. I would be shocked if he was not consulted in advance about the hiring, or if Torrent was hired over Villa's objections. He does not seem the type to run back to them complaining under those circumstances. And I can imagine they might ask him if he has second thoughts, but they would wait until the season ends, I think, rather than stir anything up.

Plus, I don't think Villa is re-signed for another season. So his thoughts on Dome are meaningless.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
I think he gets re-signed if he wants to be.
Not that my intuitions should be taken as meaningful, but throughout the DC match I kept having the thought that Villa would be retiring after our post-season. However long or short that may be.

He's clearly in decline, he has plenty of off-field opportunities, and he can't realistically expect to see any action for Spain in meaningful games anymore. Time to hang it up after a glorious career.

Status
Not open for further replies.