MLS Cup Playoffs - November 21 - Atlanta (Home)

I have this sinking feeling that it’s yet another year of playoff failure, especially since no away teams won today.

Its the collapse in Columbus that led to the return leg being irrelevant.
It’s the complete capitulation to Toronto, two goals in the last ten minutes and then losing 5-0 at home.
It’s about losing at home to Atlanta and making the return leg impossible.
Its having the bye, with everything set up to roll to the Cup with only that one Citi Field game against a Toronto team without Jozy. And yet, a listless first half and then Mata. Still hurts.

So much failure. Prove me wrong. Get some luck and overcome and then let’s challenge NE. Let’s go on a run instead of “every single year AAAAARRGGHHH”.

hope? I’m done with hope. Show up and do it.

atlanta had a late season surge, but overall, they are not a super strong team at the moment. Their backline aside from Robinson, are not that great. Their midfield is not built to control the game. I think if we play our game and ATL don't do everything they can to keep us from playing our game... we should advance.

The only things that will defeat us tomorrow are: (1) ourselves not playing to our potential and/or (2) martinez goes supernova and takes over the game.

I think set pieces will be important tomorrow. Robinson is strong in the air and we can sometimes fall asleep on defense.

Reactions: gbservis
atlanta had a late season surge, but overall, they are not a super strong team at the moment. Their backline aside from Robinson, are not that great. Their midfield is not built to control the game. I think if we play our game and ATL don't do everything they can to keep us from playing our game... we should advance.

The only things that will defeat us tomorrow are: (1) ourselves not playing to our potential and/or (2) martinez goes supernova and takes over the game.

I think set pieces will be important tomorrow. Robinson is strong in the air and we can sometimes fall asleep on defense.

We are the better team, but these playoff games can get so weird -- strange things happen and if we don't score in the first half, the pressure will start to build. If we score early, I think we cruise. If we don't, I think the nerves start to get the better of some guys. That's my big fear.

Reactions: gbservis
We are the better team, but these playoff games can get so weird -- strange things happen and if we don't score in the first half, the pressure will start to build. If we score early, I think we cruise. If we don't, I think the nerves start to get the better of some guys. That's my big fear.

For sure. The playoffs can cause some craziness. But we are in the bronx. Team is confident. I have us advancing unless Martinez goes crazy and starts scoring from every possible spot he takes a shot. If he can do that.. then not much we can say/do about that.

Reactions: ZYanksRule
Separately, what are the chances you think our guys pratcied penalties? The last two knockout games we've had (3? Was it PUMAS, MLS playoffs 2019, open Cup 2018? Or was there another knockout between, idk) penalties.

Separately, what are the chances you think our guys pratcied penalties? The last two knockout games we've had (3? Was it PUMAS, MLS playoffs 2019, open Cup 2018? Or was there another knockout between, idk) penalties.

don't even say this!!!

don't even say this!!!
I am saying it, because I think it could happen again. Though I hope we take care of it in 90.

Yeah it's 3:18 on the MLS website. They do longer pregame coverage for playoff games on ABC, I guess.
I like that we're on ABC! There's a Jets game today at 1, so I think it's going to be good coverage as that game would just be ending (on CBS, however.)

I have this sinking feeling that it’s yet another year of playoff failure, especially since no away teams won today.

thing is I don’t think there is as much expectation as prior years. I know the numbers say that but we have been almost out of playoffs like two games ago. This is not top of the east or runner up supporter shield years where we expected a run. Last year people still though of the team of 2019 that won the east.

this year we want to win sure but the expectations are not high with how up and down team has been.

Reactions: canchon and Shwafta
thing is I don’t think there is as much expectation as prior years. I know the numbers say that but we have been almost out of playoffs like two games ago. This is not top of the east or runner up supporter shield years where we expected a run. Last year people still though of the team of 2019 that won the east.

this year we want to win sure but the expectations are not high with how up and down team has been.

Yeah -- I'd say I'm not expecting a long run, but I'm hopeful for a long run because I know this team is capable of it. A quick loss wouldn't surprise me, and a long run wouldn't surprise me.

Well, perhaps not having the pressure may help the team! Having a bit of an under dog status may be nice after crashing down to earth every year since 2016 and maybe last year. At least it helps me feel better if we get knocked out

Reactions: Shwafta
Anyone planning on arriving to the game early? I might be arriving separately from my family and thus might have time before the game

There's always been the KO: <time> feature on the MLS website, as far back as I can remember:
View attachment 11559
That's weird, because people have been asking, like Gotham Gator Gotham Gator did today, for direction about when actual KO time is, and how it's impossible to know, as far back as I can remember. I'm not disputing you, it's just weird. I mean, someone built a website and twitter feed to announce actual KO times and Andrew Das, an actual NY Times reporter, is most well known for his twitter brand of "actual soccer kick off time" obsessive.

I'm guessing it was added this year with the site redesign, or last year during COvid, and no one noticed. Also, that's a weird place to put it. I think it should be down with the Match Facts, but I'm just glad to have it.

• Wow
Reactions: Shwafta
That's weird, because people have been asking, like Gotham Gator Gotham Gator did today, for direction about when actual KO time is, and how it's impossible to know, as far back as I can remember. I'm not disputing you, it's just weird. I mean, someone built a website and twitter feed to announce actual KO times and Andrew Das, an actual NY Times reporter, is most well known for his twitter brand of "actual soccer kick off time" obsessive.

I'm guessing it was added this year with the site redesign, or last year during COvid, and no one noticed. Also, that's a weird place to put it. I think it should be down with the Match Facts, but I'm just glad to have it.
Hmm, I remember seeing that ":08" for a long long time, but it could just be that I'm filling in fake gaps in memory!

Just on a completely unrelated note, the International Space Station should be visible flying over the stadium towards the end of the match starting at about 5:07pm. Should first show up roughly over home plate, then start to rise over the first base dugout, then continue up in the east over the Chicken Bucket section, then start to set in the northeast in center field at 5:13pm. It usually looks like a bright star that arcs incredibly smoothly across the sky, quite a bit different from jets that are "only" five or six miles up and move in straight lines.