MLS NEXT Pro (MLS Reserve League)

Shwafta

MLS Cup Attendee
Elite Donor
Jan 16, 2018
Long Island

20 clubs starting in 2022
Consisting of 20 MLS clubs along with the potential for independently owned teams for the inaugural season in 2022, the league will begin in late March and conclude with playoffs in the fall and a championship match in early December.
Further details, including the league’s name and logo, participating teams in the inaugural season, and application process for expansion clubs will be unveiled over the course of this year.

what is interesting is that it mentions "new markets" and also "while also attracting fans who previously were unable to support a local club in their hometown ". Im thinking if NYCFC does join this, it wont be in the city, might be westchester or Long Island.

what is interesting is that it mentions "new markets" and also "while also attracting fans who previously were unable to support a local club in their hometown ". Im thinking if NYCFC does join this, it wont be in the city, might be westchester or Long Island.

very likely. especially since there isn't anywhere for them to even play in the city.

very likely. especially since there isn't anywhere for them to even play in the city.

technically in D3 standards they can play in Belson. But if the goal is to get into other markets ( like tacoma for seattle sounters, Londoun United for DC United) then i dont think they will go this route and try elsewhere.

Edit: Portland's reserves will play at the advanced A minor league baseball stadium. So which Minor league field we taking?

https://www.timbers.com/post/2021/06/21/mls-announces-new-league-timbers-affiliate-join-2022

Last edited:
NYCFC should look for a place somewhat nearby, which will cut down on travel between the second team and the training center.

The Club should also look for a market far enough away that it is extending the brand into a new area.

What's the sweet spot between these two?
- Eastern LI
- Upstate NY north or west of Westchester, but not too far out
- Connecticut

I've always wished we would just adopt the LI Rough Riders as our "NYCFC 2" team. It's a terrific name and has decent history in that region.

I think the reboot of Rochester is too far away.

Syracuse, which is about to launch a NISA team, and Albany could work. Poughkeepsie & Danbury are possibilities too. Hartford is close enough but has a team.

There was a minor league team in SE NY that had a real following a few years back, but I forget where they were. This is the team that was leading the lawsuit to force promotion and relegation in the U.S. Soccer pyramid. ETA: I was thinking of the Kingston Stockade, which is still playing in NPSL (4th division).

Reactions: SoupInNYC

1638820017493.png

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Inaugural game is live right now.

St Louis v Rochester - sold out crowd of just over 6000. gotta respect that!

jerseys using the same font as the MLS NExt Pro logo really bothers me lol.

Last edited:
Why does rochester have five stars? I know as the Rhinos i think they won like 3 or 4 titles.

The Rhinos won the USL A-League in 1998, 2000, and 2001.
They won the USL in 2015.
They won the US Open Cup in 1999.

so they count the open cup as a league title for that extra star. Interesting.