Montreal Postmatch

Are you ok with one player being allowed to always be offsides and not called for it, or one player being allowed to handle the ball and not called for it? Can't pick and choose which rules to enforce and which to let slide. Of all things, rules regarding jerseys & kits are black/white.
No, that's not what I meant, although I could definitely see how it might've sounded that way. What I meant was that FIFA doesn't have any sort of rules about the numbers being required as they leave it up to the individual leagues, and of course it's impossible to find MLS rules for most things. I'm just saying that it's possible that numbers aren't even in the rules.

Maybe David Villa thinks this is actually true?
At that point you would just have one player sit in the opponents 18 the entire match waiting for lobs. I would call that position the poacher.

Edit: I can't spell

Last edited:
Reactions: joe
No, that's not what I meant, although I could definitely see how it might've sounded that way. What I meant was that FIFA doesn't have any sort of rules about the numbers being required as they leave it up to the individual leagues, and of course it's impossible to find MLS rules for most things. I'm just saying that it's possible that numbers aren't even in the rules.
I couldn't find a 2016 version of the MLS rules (shocking!) but I did find a 2012 version for the Reserve League that very directly discusses jersey numbers:

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/2012-major-league-soccer-reserve-league-handbook

I have highlighted the text where it discusses the use of an unnumbered jersey is only allowed if the original jersey was Bloodied. Bloodied - not ripped, like what happened to Drogba's jersey.

7.2.1 Name and Number. Each Player will be assigned a number, which will not change throughout the Season. The number will have a maximum of two digits and appear on the back of the jersey and on the left side of the shorts and be current font provided by the league designated supplier (See Exhibit E, "Player Uniform Specifications"). Field player numbers must be whole numbers between “2” and “99” while only goalkeepers may wear numbers “0” and “1”.

7.2.2 Bleeding Player. If a Player is bleeding, he must leave the field immediately to have the bleeding stopped and his skin and uniform cleaned as thoroughly as possible. When the Player is ready to return to the Game, the Referee may delegate responsibility to the Fourth Official to inspect the injured area and the uniform for blood. Once inspected by the Fourth Official, the Player may re-enter the Game with the Referee’s permission. The Player may be required to change his uniform prior to re-entry. Wearing an unnumbered jersey is permitted only under these circumstances. A player will not wear a jersey with another person’s name on it. If necessary, name information will be taped or masked, preferably in the same color as the team uniform. As a last resort, an alternate jersey with another substitute’s player number may be worn only if a) the number is taped or masked, preferably in the same color as the team uniform, and b) the substitutes name will be removed from the team roster (the roster must also be adjusted to show the replacement jersey number for the player now wearing it).

The Equipment Manager will ideally have a second set of uniforms, and at minimum will have several extra jerseys (nameless, at least one with an unused number and at least one without a number, but displaying all Sponsor and League mandated markings) available at the bench.

I would assume that the Reserve League played by the same rules as the Senior MLS league, but I wasn't able to find the corresponding 2012 MLS rule book, so who knows? I'm sure the 2016 rules are out there, but they conveniently have not been added to the Press Box area of their website.

I couldn't find a 2016 version of the MLS rules (shocking!) but I did find a 2012 version for the Reserve League that very directly discusses jersey numbers:

I have highlighted the text where it discusses the use of an unnumbered jersey is only allowed if the original jersey was Bloodied. Bloodied - not ripped, like what happened to Drogba's jersey.

I would assume that the Reserve League played by the same rules as the Senior MLS league, but I wasn't able to find the corresponding 2012 MLS rule book, so who knows? I'm sure the 2016 rules are out there, but they conveniently have not been added to the Press Box area of their website.
That last paragraph is interesting. So assuming the rules are the same it's perfectly legal to have one shirt available without a number (although only for blood, as you said). It's a bit weird that a ripped jersey isn't even mentioned though. You've gotta figure that happens at least once in a while. Sure would be nice to have access to the MLS rulebook though.

That last paragraph is interesting. So assuming the rules are the same it's perfectly legal to have one shirt available without a number (although only for blood, as you said). It's a bit weird that a ripped jersey isn't even mentioned though. You've gotta figure that happens at least once in a while. Sure would be nice to have access to the MLS rulebook though.
You want my opinion..... I think MLS took the rule book down either after the game, or during - I'm serious.

If that is the rule then the Impact just had to prick Drogba's finger and have him wipe it on the ripped jersey.
That would constitute embellishment and an unsportsmanlike attempt to subvert the rules - two items, two yellow card offenses which add up to a red. I'd have been fine with that.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I'm currently rewatching the game, and have a couple of other notes:
  • I thought the officiating in this match was actually pretty good. I think the 2 timewasting yellows were a little soft, but I wouldn't peg that specifically on this ref, thats been an issue across MLS. The call on Mataritta was also very soft that led up to the goal, but overall, I thought the ref did a very nice job.
  • Ciman saved Montreal's ass in this match. Villa would have had 2 great chances 1v1 with the keeper but Ciman made amazing plays to deflect the ball out for a corner.

I'm currently rewatching the game, and have a couple of other notes:
  • I thought the officiating in this match was actually pretty good. I think the 2 timewasting yellows were a little soft, but I wouldn't peg that specifically on this ref, thats been an issue across MLS. The call on Mataritta was also very soft that led up to the goal, but overall, I thought the ref did a very nice job.
  • Ciman saved Montreal's ass in this match. Villa would have had 2 great chances 1v1 with the keeper but Ciman made amazing plays to deflect the ball out for a corner.

Agree with pretty much all of this. The ref had a good match, and given all the shit lately, it's worth pointing that out.

Why is their nobody marking the near post. Last minute of the game you bring everyone back and mark the near post.

This. As much as some people on here hate our keeper, the goal is not his fault whatsoever. Notice there were 2 guys, 2, unmarked with open looks at the goal. Two wide open players. That's on the players and also the coach for lack of discipline in that situation.

Or, perhaps he was so upset that they equalized in stoppage time with him being unable to do anything about it because he had no defenders there to help out that he was just too bummed to yell at people. Slightly different perspective, no?
I sit right behind the goal, so I get to see 45 minutes of Saunders from about 15 feet away. Trust me, he has let up many late, disappointing goals before and never appeared to accept any blame whatsoever.

This. As much as some people on here hate our keeper, the goal is not his fault whatsoever. Notice there were 2 guys, 2, unmarked with open looks at the goal. Two wide open players. That's on the players and also the coach for lack of discipline in that situation.
It's the keeper's responsibility to set a defender on the near post. No player on the post, then Saunders didn't ask for one.

It's the keeper's responsibility to set a defender on the near post. No player on the post, then Saunders didn't ask for one.

What he said !

Saunders owns the box, his job is dictate how the team is going to defend the set piece just like setting up the wall on a free kick

By not insisting on having someone on the post he is telling the team he has it covered

You're right. It was the fault of whoever is supposed to make sure there is someone on the post for the set piece. Which happens to be.... Josh Saunders.

Reactions: Ulrich
MLS dropped the ball here by not ruling him ineligible. It'd have been a tough pill to swallow for Montreal by forcing them to burn a sub, but it comes down to Montreal's equipment manager not being prepared - same as if he bring three types of cleats for each player - be prepared for anything.

Someone wanna ask the NYCFC kit man what protocol is? https://mobile.twitter.com/KitManNYCFC

It would be cool to hear their feedback. I thought that the atmosphere was great for a chilly Wednesday night game. Nice crowd, loud and engaged from where I sit, and an exciting game for almost 90 minutes. I bet your folks enjoyed themselves.

Sorry to dredge up the old thread but I got the report and you were right, they had a blast and are planning another outing already

Reactions: Ulrich and fanaka66