Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Saunders

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Mix

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • Matarrita

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
(2) Khiry running over/by Brandon Vincent for the third goal was impressive. That was a matchup I was very curious about beforehand and had featured in my preview. Khiry is going to frustrate from time to time, but if he creates goals like that every couple of games and does his defensive work, that is a very useful player on a team that got very little from the wings last year. I think he won the matchup against Vincent, who wasn't overly impressive.

This is entirely correct, and I was just heading back on here to discuss this point. Here was a big contest between two young Americans that were part of the most recent USMNT camp. Shelton was simply better, and he smoked Vincent on that goal. I don't understand why anyone isn't giving Shelton his due for that goal. He smoked his defender, put a great move on the goalie and scored - all at breakneck speed. Sure, the ball got caught under him on the last touch, but he pushed it in, and that came while he was being fouled by the goalkeeper.

It was a terrific goal - and Mix hasn't gotten enough credit for the assist. A Pirloesque pass right into space for Shelton to run onto. It was a very hard pass to pull off, and he did it perfectly.

Mix also could have gotten an assist on the Taylor goal for that nifty chip that fell at Taylor's feet. Maybe they don't give assists once the ball has been handled in the box - LOL.

Vieira also had an embroidered NYCFC crest on his left breast. Very sharp.

Every jacket has that. It's the Ben Sherman NYCFC collection that's exclusive to the club except for the 5 ties that were posted on Cityzens.

Reactions: Kjbert
I assume you are just trying to demonstrate how the assholes you mentioned on your RBNJ boards talk about the game?

Listen my apologies that was a little harsh on my part. Sorry for the disrespect. And no those RBNJ fans, well what can you say about them. I would rather stop talking about them to be honest those guys are miserable, end of story.

This. That was an amazing display of focus. Last year, he would have given up on that play. This year, he scores it.

I am the first to talk about Khiry's lack of touch but that play he did everything right. I hope it is a sign of him improving and I hope he continues to improve. A healthy Shelton, and a much better Shelton only makes us more dangerous. If you remember last year before he got hurt, every time he came into the game he changed the game with his speed. This year he has that speed but I hope with more experience he is able to slow things down in his mind that would allow him to be a force the field. All the best players in the world, like Messi, Ronaldo, what separates them is that they are able to slow the game down in their mind, and they don't get rattled when they feel pressure.

Reactions: Kjbert
All the best players in the world, like Messi, Ronaldo, what separates them is that they are able to slow the game down in their mind, and they don't get rattled when they feel pressure.
You seem to have accidentally left Pirlo off that list for some reason.

Agreed. It's coming. I saw him hold up better, touch better and finish a 1 off chance. I just rewatched his goal and while the touch on the ball wasn't "perfect" it was absolutely intentional. He trusts his speed and jutted the ball past the keeper and stepped over. Then he saw that defenders were closing down quickly and sent the ball in before taking another step. Absolutely top class.

You seem to have accidentally left Pirlo off that list for some reason.

Haha....well here is the thing with Pirlo. In MLS I feel he takes his sweet time with the ball and he makes a lot of dumb passes, which leads to him turning the ball over. He can get away in Seria A and in the EPL and La Liga with taking his time and making the pass he wants, because in those leagues the offensive skill with the attacking players is tremendous and they can't afford to pressure the midfield/possession non stop and 100% all the time. However in MLS it is a different animal. People don't realize how athletic MLS is. EVERYONE RUNS, HARD, for 90 minutes!!!! That means they are coming after the player with possession, HARD, every time. I didn't think Pirlo adjusted to this last year, and so far in pre-season and vs Chicago on Sunday, he really didn't adjust that much. If I was PV I would tell Pirlo, move the ball quicker, even if it is back to the same man. Keep the ball moving.

TT and Khiry will start coming into proper form this season and it will be exciting to witness. We need to score goals when Villa, Mullins, and even Lamps get pressured. I'm really excited to see how our roster will develop over the season. Something tells me PV wasn't showing all his cards ahead of Toronto's visit to the Bronx. I don't want to restate all the positives that have already been mentioned, but Mataritta ... this kid is fast and has control! I know we're going to see more from Bravo as the season progresses, and I was actually surprised to see him in the game after his late arrival to the preseason. We have some speed and skill on this roster, and hopefully it's just what we were missing last year. Can't wait for the home opener!!!

Reactions: Jock and Ulrich
It was a terrific goal - and Mix hasn't gotten enough credit for the assist.
I am the first to talk about Khiry's lack of touch but that play he did everything right.
One thing that hasn't been discussed on the Khiry goal. If TMac is Fat Messi, Khiry is Nice Suarez. A defender can't be within 3 yards of Suarez without him sticking out a leg and taking a dive. Khiry on the other hand will do some crazy gymnastic moves to avoid contact. This happened once or twice in preseason as well. He gets in the box, gets the ball past the goalie, gets impeded by the goalie, and leaps in the air like an Olympic high jumper to make sure there is no chance of a touch on him. I hate the way Suarez dives and whines over the most minor brush. But I'd love to see Khiry recognize the value of a red card in the box and take a little contact.

Mataritta ... this kid is fast and has control!
One thing that hasn't been mentioned about Mataritta. Holy cow this kid can read the game. I lost count of how many times he stepped up onto a forward pass by Chicago to intercept and turn the play 180 degrees around. Far more than anyone else on the team. These were big interceptions in dangerous places on the field that should have produced at least one goal yesterday. If he keeps this up, he will definitely have some big assist totals.

One thing that hasn't been discussed on the Khiry goal. If TMac is Fat Messi, Khiry is Nice Suarez. A defender can't be within 3 yards of Suarez without him sticking out a leg and taking a dive. Khiry on the other hand will do some crazy gymnastic moves to avoid contact. This happened once or twice in preseason as well. He gets in the box, gets the ball past the goalie, gets impeded by the goalie, and leaps in the air like an Olympic high jumper to make sure there is no chance of a touch on him. I hate the way Suarez dives and whines over the most minor brush. But I'd love to see Khiry recognize the value of a red card in the box and take a little contact.

Oh my word....TMac = Fat Messi. I think you are on to something. I do see it, I really do. Although to be fair, TMac isn't fat but the way he is built makes it seem that way lol.

Oh my word....TMac = Fat Messi. I think you are on to something. I do see it, I really do. Although to be fair, TMac isn't fat but the way he is built makes it seem that way lol.
I wish I could take credit. Look at other posts over the last couple of weeks. Not sure who started it, but it was said by others before me.

Reactions: S1ARK5
I'm sure already covered, but I also loved the Mix pass to Shelton on his goal, Shelton's bull run and reckless abandon on the goal which could be a great sign of moving well past some of the tentativeness we have seen in the past, and on the Mix goal, Mac with the CR7-like ankle breaker move on Polster in the corner and the perfect Messi-like pass pristinely onto Mix's foot. La Liga, keep away from our Fat Messi!
Your description is mouth watering... For one second, we well feel drunk in the imaginary world of having CR and Messi on my team... David Villa will just have to settle for Suarez's role :)

Reactions: JayH
For anyone who wants to take a short break from discussions of high defensive lines, here's some footage we took on our trip to Chicago. For those willing to watch until the end, there's a teaser for our next video which we are quite excited about.

Jesus, that high line.
But I throughly enjoyed it. Edge of the seat stuff. Sublime to the ridiculous.
I prefer to remember the entertainment, right now, rather than how awful we are when we don't have possession.
Early days, but wonder if we will improve over time.
If we can't press or win the ball back, we'll be similar to last term.