NYCFC v Columbus - Postmatch

But McNamara can become even smarter and still be the better player
Completely true. Which reminds me of another thing that bugs me about the position of the "we don't need Pirlo or Lampard" folks. Yes, they're older and slowing down, I grant you that. But I can't imagine that they're not teaching Mix and McNamara more than they could ever hope to learn from their regular coaches. (And Villa too, of course, but nobody's complaining about him. Yet.) Our three DPs are some of the best players in the world, and even if they're "only" decent on the field that is only just a part of their value to the club.

Last edited:
Two professional coaches with considerable professional soccer knowledge and experience clearly disagree based on playing time.

Greatness is achieved by bold thinkers with original ideas and the courage of their convictions. Your comment displays the same kind of incrementalism and group think that Kreis' and Vieira's coaching have displayed. We are well on our way to equaling last season's achievements.

I'm willing to give Poku a shot over Mac, especially at home where it's easier for him to be in the right spot based on the size of the field. You can even give him a half or 60 minutes. We've got players to bring on for him -- just see how it ends up. I think it's worth a shot for a stretch.

But it's a double-edged sword. We need a consistent lineup and players who become more and more comfortable playing with eachother. It's really hard, and I'm glad I don't have to make the decision and deal with the backlash.

Taylor-Villa-Shelton
Mataritta-Bravo-Poku
Martinez-Hernandez-Brillant-Iraola
Johansen

This will win games. Mendoza can come in as a sub he's much better that way. Sit Saunders. Mix and TMac had a few great games but it's not turning into wins. Our main issue is speed in the midfield. Too many damn passes, this is not Barcelona, we need more of a pragmatic approach, rip through the defense and create chances. Poku and Mata have shown flashes of speed and dominance in the midfield. The defense won't be able to handle it.
So you're hoping for crappy run-up-and-down-the-field-real-fast soccer where nobody can make a turn or a pass (Poku and/or Shelton, perhaps?) as opposed to good soccer that's well played. Got it.

But McNamara can become even smarter and still be the better player
Hmmm, not so sure about that. At this point TMac may be able to refine his skills but that's just maxing out his potential that has a finite ceiling. He has problems anticipating where his next pass has to go if it's not right in front of him. Poku has a much higher ceiling and has far better vision. He sees the through ball pass long before the player making the run gets there. Sure he uses his athletic ability (size/strength), over pure technical skills, as a "crutch" right now, but it works in MLS and when he can put the two together, he'll be a wonder to watch. The caveat is, if he doesn't get his fitness to a higher level, none of it will matter.

Mendoza can come in as a sub he's much better that way.

Mendoza is hot garbage and should be dropped from the club immediately. We have gotten considerably worse as a team since he joined. His complete lack of positional awareness and teamwork actually makes me wish Khiry would play more. Khiry is not good but he is way ahead of Mendoza.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Taylor-Villa-Shelton
Mataritta-Bravo-Poku
Martinez-Hernandez-Brillant-Iraola
Johansen

This will win games. Mendoza can come in as a sub he's much better that way. Sit Saunders. Mix and TMac had a few great games but it's not turning into wins. Our main issue is speed in the midfield. Too many damn passes, this is not Barcelona, we need more of a pragmatic approach, rip through the defense and create chances. Poku and Mata have shown flashes of speed and dominance in the midfield. The defense won't be able to handle it.
I'm sorry, I don't think I'm trying to be a dick.....

But is this a serious post?

How about that god awful moment when Hernandez and Brillant let Kamara or whoever fly by them on a long ball, didn't even run, put their hands up and waited for a call? Obviously we got lucky and the call was made, but I think that moment really signified how much of a fuck our CB's give. I was furious when that happened - you can't trust these refs for a second.
I think I remember the play you're talking about, and I do think it looked worse than it actually was because the whistle came so late. They both turn and raised their hands, yet the play continued for another second or two as they both stopped after seeing the flag go up. I remember watching it live and yelling at the TV for them to keep running.

Either way, that said, they had both slowed down considerably assuming the call was going to be made, and the offsides wasn't as clear as day to let up like that. They both need to keep playing and appeal for the offsides at the same time. That could really burn us, especially with someone like Kamara.

Interesting that Kreis and Vieira started exactly the same with this team. The measure of the coach is how they respond. Kreis was dogged and stuck with his guys and his methods until 12 games later he realized it didn't work. He started falling apart during the losing streak, pulling the best players and shitting on guys.

No shame in hitting some bumps early on with a new team, how the coach responds will determine his quality. This weekend v philly is the perfect time to respond. They are way ahead of where they should be in the standings. (also please get rid of saunders and hernandez.)

Uncovered observations:
  • We had a game with at least 3 great crosses. What a concept. Iraola's 2 to Villa for the first goal and the full volley (coulda been) and Shelton's (I think?) to Mullins (shoulda). Those were a joy to watch.
  • TMac made me appreciate Hernandez. On the Kamara goal TMac was recovering and got right up to Kai before he took his shot. TMac slowed so that if Kai didn't shoot he could be on his feet in front of him. Hernandez goes all out on those plays and throws his body in front of the shot. TMac could have done that but didn't. Maybe this is just CB vs MF mentality. But that play made me appreciate Hernandez's willingness to go full effort on recovery.

Uncovered observations:
  • We had a game with at least 3 great crosses. What a concept. Iraola's 2 to Villa for the first goal and the full volley (coulda been) and Shelton's (I think?) to Mullins (shoulda). Those were a joy to watch.
  • TMac made me appreciate Hernandez. On the Kamara goal TMac was recovering and got right up to Kai before he took his shot. TMac slowed so that if Kai didn't shoot he could be on his feet in front of him. Hernandez goes all out on those plays and throws his body in front of the shot. TMac could have done that but didn't. Maybe this is just CB vs MF mentality. But that play made me appreciate Hernandez's willingness to go full effort on recovery.

That cross from Iraola was a beauty. I have been impressed with him this year. He gets caught up field occasionally but other than that I think he's been solid.

I thought that after the first 2-3 games and now I'm not sure. You might be right I just cannot say any more. I certainly hope so.
Agreed. Prior to Chicago and Columbus, we were playing well and unlucky not to take more points. The last two games have been uninspired.

These may have already been covered, but:
  • Pirlo needs to have Bravo next to him, he's been ineffective the past two games without him. If you want to call him a luxe player and #PirloOut, that's your prerogative. I want him to stick around for two years, be used properly, and mentor Mix.
  • I may have broken a leg jumping off the Iraola bandwagon. The cross to Villa for the goal was obviously fantastic, but otherwise, woof.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Even with Bravo next to him has he been the best player on the pitch? I'd say no, he has never been the best player on the pitch in any game we've played with him. I'm sure Saunders would play better if you put Johansen next to him, and any player would benefit from having someone else play defense for him, but that is not how the game works, you only have 11 guys and each one has to play both ways. If there was one guy I would play a caddy for it would be poku, who has been the best player on the pitch more than once, and if defense is the reason he is not playing, then play bravo next to him. We are not good enough to play with 1 DP star, 1 DP in absentia, and one who allows the other team to attach right through the middle.

Pirlo was not even in the screen on any of Columbus's attacks, I just don't think we can win by asking your attacking midfielders to track all the way back and play defensive midfield as well.

One thing I noticed and forgot to mention (that the commentators also mentioned multiple times) is that we only turned it on after the other team scored. The majority of the game we were listless and unthreatening. Once they scored we got 5 minutes of blitzkrieg then back to sleep. Saw this in just about every game so far. It's like everyone on the team is relying on all of the other players to be that difference for us this year, but no one actually steps up. Then the "unimaginable" happens and teams score on us, were down, and everyone has their oh shit moment. Before they know it the ref blows the whistle and everyone is thinking "if we just had 10 more minutes."

Reactions: Paul and joe
Agreed. Prior to Chicago and Columbus, we were playing well and unlucky not to take more points. The last two games have been uninspired.

These may have already been covered, but:
  • Pirlo needs to have Bravo next to him, he's been ineffective the past two games without him. If you want to call him a luxe player and #PirloOut, that's your prerogative. I want him to stick around for two years, be used properly, and mentor Mix.
  • I may have broken a leg jumping off the Iraola bandwagon. The cross to Villa for the goal was obviously fantastic, but otherwise, woof.

Mata getting caught forward constantly was the other thing I meant to include here. Mainly puzzled that it kept happening the entire game. Did no one say, "hey, maybe hang back a little, they're killing us on counter attacks"?

Reactions: Paul
Even with Bravo next to him has he been the best player on the pitch
Best is hard to parse but I think Pirlo + Bravo is better than any alternative we have for this role.

Saunders would play better if you put Johansen next to him
Ok, I laughed.

play bravo next to (Poku)
I'm assuming you want Poku at CAM, and this isn't literally "next to" so much as "on the field with"? Are you thinking a diamond with Poku at the top and Bravo at the bottom, or something else? (This is a sincere question for the record. I know we rate Pirlo differently but I'm not trying to antagonize you.)

Best is hard to parse but I think Pirlo + Bravo is better than any alternative we have for this role.

Ok, I laughed.

I'm assuming you want Poku at CAM, and this isn't literally "next to" so much as "on the field with"? Are you thinking a diamond with Poku at the top and Bravo at the bottom, or something else? (This is a sincere question for the record. I know we rate Pirlo differently but I'm not trying to antagonize you.)
I mean Bravo might as well just play there. Pirlo has not been able to break apart any defenses this year, so what is the point? I was joking about Poku and Bravo, because having a player on the pitch to play half of another player's responsibilities is ridiculous (to me, I recognize my opinion is not shared by everyone (anyone))

Reactions: gbservis and joe
I mean Bravo might as well just play there. Pirlo has not been able to break apart any defenses this year, so what is the point? I was joking about Poku and Bravo, because having a player on the pitch to play half of another player's responsibilities is ridiculous (to me, I recognize my opinion is not shared by everyone (anyone))
Pirlo not being able to break down defenses is as much about the other players not moving off the ball as it is about him. He's not going to pass to a covered player, so in many ways his hands are tied if they aren't showing for the ball.

Even with Bravo next to him has he been the best player on the pitch? I'd say no, he has never been the best player on the pitch in any game we've played with him. I'm sure Saunders would play better if you put Johansen next to him, and any player would benefit from having someone else play defense for him, but that is not how the game works, you only have 11 guys and each one has to play both ways. If there was one guy I would play a caddy for it would be poku, who has been the best player on the pitch more than once, and if defense is the reason he is not playing, then play bravo next to him. We are not good enough to play with 1 DP star, 1 DP in absentia, and one who allows the other team to attach right through the middle.

Pirlo was not even in the screen on any of Columbus's attacks, I just don't think we can win by asking your attacking midfielders to track all the way back and play defensive midfield as well.
I'm not completely with you on the Pirlo hate, but the Johansen and Saunders comment was hilarious.