Nycfc V Dc Postgame

I wonder if that is the largest crowd DCU has played in front of this year. Imagine at Seattle and at Orlando would be larger.

We are directly responsible for his peers making more money. He should be thrilled.

Well that was a great second half performance. The first half wasn't bad, but we where much more fluent and destructive in the second half.

My first point to make is that when the team was over in Manchester, everyone could see Poku was the best player. He was playing deeper, but when he went forward you could see his power and pace. Therefore I can't understand why Kries hasn't played him more often.

Secondly Jacobsen should be nowhere near the first eleven. He does everything badly and offers nothing to the team.

Thirdly, one of the commentators on Sky was saying that DC needed to give Pirlo less time on the ball, just like the Red Bulls. I was wanting to tell him the reason for this was Poku was stretching their midfield, therefore creating the space in which Pirlo excels. If you have players standing around Pirlo, then the opposition will be closer to him and able to close him down. Just make the movement and runs and this will give Pirlo the space to work his magic.

Finally, I thought you guys in the stadium were great and got right behind your team.

Hopefully this can be a turning point for the team and we can go and win a few games in a row.

Just saw this http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-win-over-dc-united-helps-reset-season-better

“He played a fantastic game, just like he did against Orlando,” Pirlo said of Poku. “He’s a player I did not know before, but he has incredible physical strength. He is such a hard worker. He will continue to do so and grow even more.”

Pirlo should be our player/coach
I had a daydream where Pirlo falls in love with NYC and retires to become a member of our staff. I don't know how that vision coheres with his characterization of warm ups as masturbation for fitness coaches though (paraphrasing from his book).

Not to beat the drum into oblivion, but take a look at the Sky Sports shot of Villa's goal. Makes it that much more impressive. You can barely tell where Pirlo is about to place it, and then his leg cracks the ball without much hip movement. Really an incredible display.

Also you could see him taking extra touches and having to play it around the corner to wait til Villa is back onside. Too good.

On a separate note, DCU is the type of team we match up very well against. A slow team that doesn't pressure us like Orlando. Montreal and NJ kill us because we have no speed and we turn the ball over incessantly. Columbus is not a good match up for us. But we really need to win this game.
Is there any good match up for a slow team that can't retain the ball? FWIW I don't agree with that characterization

One other funny atmosphere note from last night regarding the DCU supporters section. Their group was pretty loud and confident, but after NYCFC scored the second they went completely silent and the fans on that side started the "we can't hear you" chant, funny and well done. After the third goal, a chant of "overrated" broke out as well.

Props to the fans on that side as they are usually pretty quiet. Well done.

I had a daydream where Pirlo falls in love with NYC and retires to become a member of our staff. I don't know how that vision coheres with his characterization of warm ups as masturbation for fitness coaches though (paraphrasing from his book).
This is so weird. Anyone have a smoke?

We're sure Pirlo rolls his own, right?

It's more likely that Pirlo comes up with his own crossfit/soul cycle workout technique that involves wine drinking and minimal fitness. He makes more off of this than any football contract or endorsement deal.

Also you could see him taking extra touches and having to play it around the corner to wait til Villa is back onside. Too good.

Hadn't noticed that before. Just makes the play all the more impressive, and it was already world class.

And where did that camera angle come From???!!! And why can't we see a high angle like that all the time?

Hadn't noticed that before. Just makes the play all the more impressive, and it was already world class.

And where did that camera angle come From???!!! And why can't we see a high angle like that all the time?
That was from the Sky Sports feed. I don't know exactly how they got it, but YES needs to buddy up and plant a camera right next to theirs.

Just watched that clip another 20 or so times.

That is unquestionably one of the best passes I've ever seen.

Notice there is a split second after the pass is made before Villa starts his run. I have three theories.
1. Even he can't believe Pirlo would attempt that pass.
2. He is checking the line judge to see if he is back onside.
3. He is cagily giving the defense a moment to mask that he was not back onside yet.

Don't know.

Regardless, his touch and finish from within a CB sandwich of pressure was also perfect.

Had Pirlo's pass been anywhere else, it doesn't work. Had either of Villa's touches been anything else, it doesn't work.

Both sublime. I'm going back to watch another 20 times.

Poku.

Notice there is a split second after the pass is made before Villa starts his run. I have three theories.
3. He is cagily giving the defense a moment to mask that he was not back onside yet.

Don't know.

Regardless, his touch and finish from within a CB sandwich of pressure was also perfect.

Had Pirlo's pass been anywhere else, it doesn't work. Had either of Villa's touches been anything else, it doesn't work.

Poku.
I'm tempted to go with 1.

In Villa's post game interview he said of playing with Pirlo: "I feel like I have to pay attention because anytime he sees you he can find you and then you are 1v1 with the keeper."

We saw in the first half why DC's defense is one of the best in the league. When they were allowed to get organized behind the ball they were able to limit our chances to take decent shots. But they couldn't handle Poku, Villa, and Pirlo moving the ball quickly down the field. That's a dynamic that has been missing from this team all year - but no longer!

I'm tempted to go with 1.

In Villa's post game interview he said of playing with Pirlo: "I feel like I have to pay attention because anytime he sees you he can find you and then you are 1v1 with the keeper."

We saw in the first half why DC's defense is one of the best in the league. When they were allowed to get organized behind the ball they were able to limit our chances to take decent shots. But they couldn't handle Poku, Villa, and Pirlo moving the ball quickly down the field. That's a dynamic that has been missing from this team all year - but no longer!
And some people on these forums were against signing Pirlo.

Don't know.

Poku.

I'm glad I am not the only one continually hitting replay. I keep watching to figure out how the hell Villa managed to get not one, but two touches in between the two defenders, and also how Pirlo managed the perfect placement.

But of course, in other places, people commented that it was bad defending. Can't they just appreciate the greatness that is the Maestro and El Guaje?

Also, I found it really funny that Villa took his shirt off. That is really unusual for him, and made me wonder what he was thinking that he decided to take it off

Some quick thoughts prior to catching up with all 11 pages and counting:

Great to be back in the stadium after watching the past couple games from home due to life. And great to put a face to LostAnvil's avatar at the bar before hand.

Not the full 45 minutes off, 45 minutes on we saw at the beginning of the year, but it certainly took the boys a while to find the game. But when they're rolling, it's hard to wonder why this team isn't at the top of the table.

I didn't even realize Jacobsen was on the field until the second half. Can certainly understand the people who want to see Mix in that spot, even if I still don't think that's his best position.

Enough with the puto chant, small minority of people who are still doing it. Enough.

That was from the Sky Sports feed. I don't know exactly how they got it, but YES needs to buddy up and plant a camera right next to theirs.
YES won't even pay to drive the announcers two hours to Philly. We're lucky they are using more than one camera

Guys. That is the Yes shot with the Yes announcers. It might also be the Sky feed but that's only because Sky apparently shows the yes feed. This is from my TV, DVR from Yes.
I agree Yes can do better, but this particular call out was unjustified.

ETA: The Yes logo is even visible on the original video posting above.