Nycfc V Disney Motm & Postgame

He's no Jimi Hendrix.

All this Bernie banter reminds me of the time I was sitting a few rows behind the visitors dugout and there were some kids making fun of Willie Randolf coaching off third base. Clearly they were born after he retired. They had no idea of who he was or what he did in 77 and 78. Does anyone remember when Chris Chambliss rocketed one over the right field fence against KC in the bottom of the 9th to win the pennant? For god's sake, do you boys even know what a pennant is? I was there that night in the Bronx when Reggie hit three homers on three pitches and I missed the second one because I was out getting a hot dog and you couldn't watch from the concession lines. Does anyone here know what I am talking about? There is just too much negativity on this forum. Bernie Williams is an incredible Yankee who has done amazing things for a long time. So he missed a few notes. So easy to criticize. It was a joy for this New Yorker to see him on the field again. Even El Capitan, who likely never saw him play, recognized the importance of the moment. Get some perspective.

All this Bernie banter reminds me of the time I was sitting a few rows behind the visitors dugout and there were some kids making fun of Willie Randolf coaching off third base. Clearly they were born after he retired. They had no idea of who he was or what he did in 77 and 78. Does anyone remember when Chris Chambliss rocketed one over the right field fence against KC in the bottom of the 9th to win the pennant? For god's sake, do you boys even know what a pennant is? I was there that night in the Bronx when Reggie hit three homers on three pitches and I missed the second one because I was out getting a hot dog and you couldn't watch from the concession lines. Does anyone here know what I am talking about? There is just too much negativity on this forum. Bernie Williams is an incredible Yankee who has done amazing things for a long time. So he missed a few notes. So easy to criticize. It was a joy for this New Yorker to see him on the field again. Even El Capitan, who likely never saw him play, recognized the importance of the moment. Get some perspective.
Lighten up, Francis. It was just a joke.

Although I don't think Hendrix was playing cleanup for the Seattle Pilots back in '69.

I saw Chris Chambliss play for the Braves as a kid back in the early '80s.

Reactions: Drainyoo
Damn that was fun. I just smiled the last 35 minutes of the game. Scoring those goals, making those passes, making those runs. Defense was spotty, and the extra time Kaka goal kick was scary (and temporarily halted my smile), but then Mix made it all good again.
Then I came home, ate my birthday dinner, and watched the last 40 minutes again. And smiled the whole time because I knew it ended happy.

Damn that was fun.

Happy B-day!:D What great present for all of us too .It certainly was fun! I went to the dugout and celebrated with a drink!:D:D:D:D

This just gives me chills. You have to have a special gift for the game to know stuff like this. Kaka isn't even on the ball yet, but Pirlo can already sense where he's going to kick it. This is Messi level type stuff. They see and sense the game on a level that most people can't comprehend, including high quality pros.

You have great atheletes, and above them you have a select few like Messi, Pirlo, Jordan, Manning and Federer.
This was great that he helped Saunders out and it could have been the difference in Saunders getting a finger nail on that ball to change the direction of it, albeit very slightly, to hit the post. I mean, Saunders did touch it a little, didn't he? But Pirlo looked at the wall, he saw Saunders bad positioning, and from playing with Kaka at Milan, probably knew which way he was headed.

This was great that he helped Saunders out and it could have been the difference in Saunders getting a finger nail on that ball to change the direction of it, albeit very slightly, to hit the post. I mean, Saunders did touch it a little, didn't he? But Pirlo looked at the wall, he saw Saunders bad positioning, and from playing with Kaka at Milan, probably knew which way he was headed.

I think he did touch it. That could have been why it went off the post. Crazy.

Reactions: JayH
I think he did touch it. That could have been why it went off the post. Crazy.
I watched the game again last night (yes, I'm a dork, but at least I'm in good company with many of you), and I couldn't believe that Saunders actually did get a slight touch on it. Forget about the beautiful passes and touches Pirlo made, but this is the epitome of the example of how the small things he does could, like here, be game-changing.

I watched the game again last night (yes, I'm a dork, but at least I'm in good company with many of you), and I couldn't believe that Saunders actually did get a slight touch on it. Forget about the beautiful passes and touches Pirlo made, but this is the epitome of the example of how the small things he does could, like here, be game-changing.

You can make a case that Pirlo won the game just because of this one thing.

Calle had a really nice game statistically. Second best passing percentage behind Poku, 3/4 on long balls, and had an accurate cross, plus the goal. He's in my top XI for this team. Worked really well with Angelino too. A left side of Angelino, Calle and Villa would be really tough to beat.

My formation:
-------------Saunders------------
------Facey------Mena----------
Iraola----------------------Angelino-
-------------Pirlo--------------------
--Mix--------Lampard-------Calle----
-------Poku--------------------------
-------------------------Villa-------

Thanks for sharing that video! I've seen a number of highlites, but that's the first one I've seen that showed the entire play when Kaka rapped it off the post.

We were sitting right there in 214B and I was screaming like such a mental patient I never realized TMac cleared the rebound and great hustle by Angelino forced the turnover that sent Mix on his way. Good stuff man.

Now please excuse me whilst I return and watch that video 5 or 6 more times.......

Calle had a really nice game statistically. Second best passing percentage behind Poku, 3/4 on long balls, and had an accurate cross, plus the goal. He's in my top XI for this team. Worked really well with Angelino too. A left side of Angelino, Calle and Villa would be really tough to beat.

My formation:
Can you do a side by side of this lineup vs. our lineup in week one. Holy international all-star team Batman!

Reactions: Drainyoo and Kjbert

My formation:

Definitely agree with you. Calle has been played out of position at LB but at LM you allow him to utilize his pace and technical ability to work with Angelino and get forward. When's the last time you saw Grabavoy in the box to receive a ball like the one he scored on? Little things like that. He can work to get back and is pretty sound defensively.

What's tough is that you need a new LB going into next year. I have this sneaking suspicion that Facey is here to stay if he wants to continue his career here. If that is the case, I would prefer to see Facey as the RBC to get more comfortable with Iraola for the next two seasons. Does that make sense?