NYCFC v Revolution Postmatch

Falastur

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 20, 2014
Herts, UK
Another dismal performance. We need to work out how to break down teams and penetrate defences because the last few games have not been great.

[voopl=2016-03-26][/voopl]

Another dismal performance. We need to work out how to break down teams because the last few games have not been great.

[voopl=2016-03-26][/voopl]
Absolutely right. Two games in a row where teams bunkered down and we haven't been able to get any real good chances

Just awful awful awful home performance only coming away with 2 points in three games. The second half was better but we need more quality up top. Villa is the only one.

Man of the match for me was Bravo. The guy keeps showing better and better every game and he is a force on the field. Martinez played very well
Overall made a couple great tackles.

Mendoza needs to improve. I suspect when we are on the road on a wider field he will have more room to operate and be more deadly. Overall another game we should have won but gave it away with the lack of finishing three games in a row.

I don't understand how you can't create chances when the other team draws a red card (probably unfairly, though I haven't seen the replay) in the 51'. I didn't really see NYCFC creating any kind of counter attack, doing much with possession or creating much of anything when they did get it into the final third. Very disheartening

Reactions: Tony L
I don't understand how you can't create chances when the other team draws a red card (probably unfairly, though I haven't seen the replay) in the 51'. I didn't really see NYCFC creating any kind of counter attack, doing much with possession or creating much of anything when they did get it into the final third. Very disheartening

That was a clear red card. From behind, studs on the ankle. Wreckless

Reactions: Ulrich
Worst game the team has played so far. Looked like the team had no energy and once they got around the box nobody wanted to pull the trigger. 2 pts after three straight home games is very disappointing so far

Reactions: Snuff
Watched the first half on my break and it was awful. Could barely string together a pass. Really missed mix in the midfield. Him and Mac getting forward and stretching the field has worked great for us.
I honestly think we might have a better away record this year than home the way we play. Teams can bunker down and take pressure since the field is so damn narrow.
Not surprised we couldn't score being a man up for 40 minutes after what I saw first half. It's just poor technical play.

This team has zero idea how to counter. There is never any urgency coming out of the back.

Saunders is hurting us more than perhaps any other player at this stage. There's no point trying to build from the back if you've got a keeper as incompetent and hesitant as him.

Mena was presumably not fit enough to last the first half, but he was so bad that you wouldn't be entirely surprised if his substitution was down to performance rather than injury. He looked mentally checked out and overwhelmed. Says a lot about Brillant that a half-fit (and dreadful) Mena was picked over him.

Hernandez looks like a different player. Thought he was excellent today. Best CB on the team bar none at the moment.

Iraola was solid. The backheel in the lead up to the goal was worth the price of admission. Was it him who cleared off the line again? My eyesight is terrible.

Bravo appears to be the most important player in the team when we're playing three at the back. His positional sense is outstanding. Without his ability to fill in where needed we would probably lose by about three goals a game. He didn't look fully fit, but still made his mark.

Pirlo was seriously disappointing. When you have a man advantage you're looking to him to exploit the space and create something. He looked like his only idea was to chip the ball round the full back in the hope of someone quick picking it up (they didn't). He gave away an unforgivable amount of simple passes today in vulnerable positions.

McNamara was OK. He's clearly a smart player, and was in the right place at the right time for the goal. Could do with some more attacking impetus.

Poku was great. The clamour for him from the fans has been kind of embarrassing but he stepped up today. He was our most direct player, and looked like he could make something happen when he got the ball. Got to love his willingness to take people on. I felt like we lost something when we swapped him for Bellouchy. I wondered how we would fit into the 3-2-2-3 system, but he showed he could hack it today.

Mendoza has a lot of speed, and apparently some good technique here and there, but he lacks the positional discipline for this system right now - he seemed to be in the way of a lot of moves, when he should be the guy bounding forward. If his far post volley had gone in in the first half it would've been goal of the season.

Taylor puts in a lot of effort and comes up with few results. I love his dedication, but I worry he lacks the quality to really make a difference when it's needed.

Villa would have been MOTM if he had stayed central. He did an outstanding job holding the ball up and bringing in his teammates. I am staggered that he was shunted out wide after NE went down to 10 men - he was completely isolated and completely wasted out there, it basically nullified our advantage. Whether it was a result of the tactics or a lack of effort, he spent most of the second half standing on his own on the left wing, uninvolved in the game, and squandering any chance we had to capitalize.

Martinez looks OK in one-on-one situations but he doesn't have the same positional discipline as Mata, and it showed, when we were inexplicably cut open multiple times by a toothless NE front line in the second half. I think he'll look much more comfortable in a back four.

Mullins is not a target man. He was always doomed to fail spearheading the attack like that, but he should have done better with the late chance he had. I don't really think either Vieira or Kreis knows what his best role is on this team, or what specifically he offers. I certainly don't.

Ballouchy is a cipher. He seems to alternate between trying to be a cute playmaker and a safe holding player depending on the game. I admire his versatility, but he usually ends up being the proverbial master of none. As I mentioned, we took a step back when he replaced Poku.

Can't remember the exact attendance but it sounded disappointing for a sunny Sunday afternoon. I said it when the schedule came out, these long homestands are not a good thing for cultivating support.

Reactions: Gavin23
I saw a tweet about T-Mac receiving a preliminary look from the Irish national team during the NYCFC vs Revs game so I guess it could be considered news to post here.

What do you think about this?

Worst game the team has played so far

Absolutely.

Ever single guy on the team (minus Saunders, Bravo and sometimes Villa) was dogshit the entire match.

First 10 minutes and I'm all like "why doesn't Poku start EVERY game?!?!" and then I'm quickly reminded why. His first touches are brutal and he's very Shelton-Esque after nice runs.

That starting XI takes Pirlo out of the Mix (no pun lolz). Worst Pirlo performance in a NYC uniform.

No Mix hurt us.

Not taking three points after the red card was embarrassing.

Reactions: Schwallacus
God damn, another frustrating performance. We jut don't seem to click in the final third right now and too much of the time it seems like no one is anticipating the pass that is coming. Villa needs to stop taking the huff and players need to push up to help him out and we'll get on a lot better. Too much time spent acting like they have never met each other!

We really should have pummeled them after they went down to 10 men, why we didnt i'm still not sure. Other than, when we broke with the ball, I could pick out 6/7 guys standing, not running. More effort required.

Also, Jefferson Mena... Jesus... Can't tackle, can't mark, can't pass, can't head the ball.... looked like he didn't want to be there. Was maybe on the pitch for 27 minutes too long.

And I went in the GA ("Supporter section") for the first time and it's a fucking riot in there, that is what a crowd should be!

Last edited:
Reactions: Schwallacus
Poor overall.
Missed Mix & Mata.
I guess Tmac gets MOTM but agree he was poor overall.
I thought Villa did well out left. He got the ball multiple times in open space which seems never to happen in the middle. But too often there was nobody to cross it to and he couldn't finish his runs.
Poku was mixed. He had some nice runs but as was just mentioned, but couldn't finish. He seemed to get caught up in too much traffic.
Lots of frustrating possessions in the final third where the crowd was screaming for anybody to shoot.

We are down to 1.25 PPG - projected to 42.5. Two points from slightly more than 1/6 of our home games. I know projecting that out is even more ridiculous but FWIW it comes to 11 points from home games this year.
This is a bad bad start.

Reactions: Ulrich and Paul