Nycfc V Toronto Postgame

Grabavoy was fine.

The guy I think deserves more respect tonight is RJ Allen. He was really consistent tonight on defense, breaking up a bunch of chances. Most of all, he had that ridiculous assist on Lampard's goal. Much better than the goal itself. A great run and a bicycle kick to send it back to a dangerous area. I gave him an 8. Might deserve MOTM.

great game, grabavoy still sucks

He's actually been much better the last couple of games - not that I wouldn't start others ahead of him, but I think it's only fair to give credit when he puts in a good shift.

By the way, one thing to give Grabavoy credit for is serving up a ball to Lampard on a platter in the second half, which Frank shanked badly. Should have been an assist.

Not to be rough on Frank, who was very good tonight.

Grabavoy was fine.

The guy I think deserves more respect tonight is RJ Allen. He was really consistent tonight on defense, breaking up a bunch of chances. Most of all, he had that ridiculous assist on Lampard's goal. Much better than the goal itself. A great run and a bicycle kick to send it back to a dangerous area. I gave him an 8. Might deserve MOTM.
Likewise. Gave all the defenders an 8 and Saunders a 10. Clean sheet win and nice saves. Deserves it.

Grabavoy was fine.

Was just about to type out pretty much the same thing. Allen's defensive effort in the second half was truly impressive. (Not saying anything about the first half as I sit behind the goal and it's pretty far away from the first base dugout.) He broke up at least half a dozen plays and that was only after I'd noticed and started counting. He had a really good game, very solid. He might be for real as a player for us.

Was just about to type out pretty much the same thing. Allen's defensive effort in the second half was truly impressive. (Not saying anything about the first half as I sit behind the goal and it's pretty far away from the first base dugout.) He broke up at least half a dozen plays and that was only after I'd noticed and started counting. He had a really good game, very solid. He might be for real as a player for us.

And I was speaking more of his first half. Good game by him for sure.

Now obviously I want Villa back ASAP but we did play better without any of the Spaniards tonight....

SJ up 1-0 on Montreal as I type this. Just when I think I'm out they drag me back in! or however that goes. Seriously at least we're going into the last 5 games with a shot (long shot) at the playoffs still so something to play for and keep us interested.

I thought it was a fantastic night. Great effort by the team, lots of meaty tackles flying in and some decent play. And fuck me, even Fat Frank scored. Good crowd tonight too. Saunders was MOTM by a mile, 7 or 8 great saves.

Reactions: Paul
This felt like, absolutely, hands-down, the most complete performance this team put out there. Crazy to think that without Villa at all, Poku playing 20 mins, and McNamara sitting the whole game. Not to mention Angelino on the bench. RJ Allen continues to be the best RB that we have (Sorry, Andoni).

Just got back from the game. First off, thanks mlmahan76 for setting us up with some great tickets in 135! First time sitting in that lower section. Really loved it.

A very complete game from top to bottom. Great bounce back game for Saunders after his worst performance of the year. There were some very clutch saves. Hernandez and Allen were incredibly solid tonight. Perfectly timed tackles all over the place. Unfortunately I think we are losing Hernandez Saturday for yellow accumulation.

The whole back line was solid for 80% of the game. Absolutely shut Giovinco down. Loved Mix's game tonight. He was everywhere. How many interceptions did he have? Jacobsen has had a great stretch of games. Saved a sure goal in the first, but he needs to put his long distance try's on goal.

Pirlo lived up to the hype tonight. Amazing. Lamps had a very solid game. People will continue to be broken records to continue their narrative, but Grabavoy was pretty good tonight. Overlapping runs galore.

KHIRY! So glad he's back. Came off the bench and immediately added some energy. Poku being Poku. Shout out to the Poku banner by the way!

Mullins was the weakest link for me tonight. His first touch is so sloppy. But he scored the first (I think) corner off the head which was the nail in the coffin.

Allen, Saunders and Pirlo were easily the three stars tonight. Brilliant game by those three.

25k on a WEDNESDAY is phenomenal. Especially considering our recent shittyness.

This might be the most satisfying game in a long time. Everyone was flowing. Most importantly, they kept the gas on until the final whistle. Can't wait for Saturday!

EDIT
Montreal goes level with SJ while being a man down. Come on Quakes!

Last edited:
Andoni needs to be shown a tape of RJ and told that's the effort that is expected. Obviously he has more talent and by all our Basque friends' accounts he was still quite good last season in La Liga. It's hard not to surmise that it's an effort issue then. Thought MLS would be a holiday if he can't put in the work hope we can cut or move him on. Think he has to be the main person Kreis was aiming those comments at and like Kreis or not on this one I agree with him.

Pirlo was almost perfect. Real showcase. It's like watching a tight rope walker when you see somebody play in central midfield and make so few mistakes. I think I counted 3 total. Also the slide in on Giovinco early in the second half was clutch.

Frank's a known slow starter and he seems to be really sensitive to the crowd (ok, ok, I'm reading his autobiography). I'd love to see him kick on and build a relationship with our supporters. It was great to see the entire team surround him after he scored. It felt like a statement, somehow.

As others have mentioned, RJ was immaculate. His touch is not the greatest but he'll often just bulldoze his way through and he knows his limitations so he doesn't lose possession while getting caught up field. Fan favorite in the making?

He's exasperated most of us all season, I thought Kreis' game management was really solid. Ok, there's a chance he got lucky but Toronto were looking threatening until he threw Poku on and the substitution completely shifted momentum back in our favor and gave Toronto something to think about defensively. Similar with Shelton. The only thing decision I can't really justify is Wingert over Angelino, but I'm stoked enough to let it slide.

If I have to complain — Star Wars night, what Star Wars night? City Beats couldn't have thrown us a tune?

Tommy McNamara (25)
RJ Allen (25)
Mix Diskerud (24)
Kwadwo Poku (23)
Patrick Mullins (23)
Khiry Shelton (22)

Everyone talks about the big 3 and how old we are, but we also have youngsters and they're pretty good too. It was hard for me to put RJ up there cause he drives me nuts sometimes, but as everyone else said he knows his role. Facey and Angelino aren't up there cause they're only here on loan. But hopefully there here again next year. I think another year to get familiar with each other, this club could be top 4 in the East easily.

Grabavoy did make some solid runs, but had a hard time handling them. Then Angelino made some deep runs. Look for Shelton to do that too going forward. We need that kind of movement off the ball. If Pirlo is gonna have that many touches, he'll play deep to them all game. It opens up the game for us. We've been playing too tight, hopefully this loosing things up for the remainder. Oh and RJ is tank. Sorry Iraola, you might've lost your spot. But knowing Jason, he'll sit RJ now.

Reactions: Kenny McCormick
Mullins really is bringing it in. Second alone now in goals, 6, behind David Villa and with 167 minutes less than #3 Tommy McNamara, plus, he has the 4 assists, tied with Pirlo for 3rd behind Villa and Poku.

Reactions: Paul and Gavin23
Grabavoy has the worst individual ball skills of any player I've ever watched. First touch isn't bad, it's horrendous. Every ball is twenty feet away from him or gets tangled in his feet. So slow always gets caught from behind. No shot. Wha, because he made some runs that I guarantee he could not score on, he's a good player now? Lol