SKC Postmatch

Apparently the forum agrees given the number of comments.

Just a bummer of a game. Team was never in it, whether fatigue, travel, whatever.

#WheresMix

This would have been the perfect game for Mix to start in place of one of the 3 old guys to give them a rest. He must be on his way out or really deep in the dog house to not even make the 18.

Might be a stretch but could we blame CFG and the Yankees for this one?

So many road games in a row. 3 games in 8 days.

Eh... Every team has stretches like this in MLS. The good news is that this is our last. We do have one more mid-week game, on Thursday, September 1, but there is no game the week following. Most of the rest of the league has 1-2 left, including our opponent this weekend.

What this does show is how important it is for us to finish top 2 in the conference and avoid a mid-week playoff game.

Saunders goes without saying. RJ was horrible on the left, as he usually is, and Hernandez, wtf? Vieira fucks up a three game week again.

This I agree with. I have no idea what was going on with that lineup. Both guys on the wings were awful in the buildup, and the CBs weren't much better.

completely missed this game, sounds like I didn't miss much.

on a side note, yesterday I drove through Wilmington, NC (home of our USL affiliate). SUPER NICE downtown area, and awesome beach front. might be worth scheduling a future vacation week down there and catching a hammerheads game. food for thought for anyone planning some light vacation time.

I will say this, we are very much improved but we still are amateur hour in NET and this is why we have no shot to win MLS Cup this year. You can tell after that second goal, the whole team was just like "ahhh fuck it".

I thought after the Opara offside goal was not called off, the team basically just threw the hands in the air. They were getting mugged physically, they all stepped up once the ball was cleared...and then they are down two goals because a clear offside wasn't called. After that the game was effectively over.

I thought it hilarious how the announcers were saying: "Well, when it's even you give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker...oh, yeah, he's off."

Anybody know if Opara's goal counts as a set piece goal. One one hand it took about 13 seconds after the corner, enough time for the guy who took the corner to rejoin play (although he didn't) and we did clear it, barely, out of the box. On the other hand play never really reset, and it seems like it was basically another corner concession.

Last edited:
Anybody know if Apara's goal counts as a set piece goal. One one hand it took about 13 seconds after the corner, enough time for the guy who took the corner to rejoin play (although he didn't) and we did clear it, barely, out of the box. On the other hand play never really reset, and it seems like it was basically another corner concession.
Don't know technically, but it definitely gets added to the list of ugly goals. I particularly was amused that Brillant basically tried to take him down, but even that didn't work and the ref played advantage. That said, the ball that Feilhaber played in was pretty sweet. From the commentary here, I take it Opara was offside, but that was a beautiful slip pass.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Don't know technically, but it definitely gets added to the list of ugly goals. I particularly was amused that Brillant basically tried to take him down, but even that didn't work and the ref played advantage. That said, the ball that Feilhaber played in was pretty sweet. From the commentary here, I take it Opara was offside, but that was a beautiful slip pass.
Yeah the foul and the goal happened so fast that the ball was in the net before the ref indicated to play advantage.

It was a piss poor performance and we were outplayed. Time to look away and move on to Montreal. For the record, I officially don't like the hypnokit now.

Onward and upward.

C'mon, man! You're taking away the ONE positive from last night!!
Seriously though, that uniform shows on TV better than any other kit in MLS. Striking!
I thought of you and your #8 hypno when Frank scored last night. Is the regret starting to fade?

Reactions: Goodfella
Is THIS the real NYCFC? Did he ask that like 30 times last night? It's as if he was trying to validate that the team sucks.

And he kept saying how they "gave up". No, they were exhausted and were getting beat physically on the ball all game.
Yeah....we were awful last night, no getting around that. We definitely deserved criticism for our play last night, but Lalas was over the top.

I didn't mind the "give up" narrative, even though I think that is overplayed in sports in general. This was a tired team playing their third game in eight days in heat. But the "give up" narrative announcers in sports go to all the time, so whatever, use it if you want.

But the "Is this the real NYCFC" thing was just stupid. At one point he said (and I'm paraphrasing) "The question is, is the NYCFC we saw for the last 4 games the real NYCFC? Or is this game the real NYCFC?". He legitimately wanted to use one single game as a barometer over a 4 game stretch. Now I'm certain that neither last night's game, nor the 4 game win streak are the "real NYCFC", but he was just trolling.

Oh, and then when that girl ran on the field and grabbed the ball during the throw-in, Lalas chimes in: "to be fair, she had more possession than NYCFC tonight". Ummmmm no. Yes, opportunity here for a joke about our lack of possession could be made here. But if you're going to start with "To be fair", it better be an actual fact, because you aren't being fair. This point here may be just me being a cynical, sarcastic asshole, but whatever, this point really pissed me off for a particular reason (might also be because I just landed back in NYC after a long weekend in Milwaukee, had work I needed to get done later when I got home, and was watching our team play like shit on my phone in a taxi ride back from LGA)

C'mon, man! You're taking away the ONE positive from last night!!
Seriously though, that uniform shows on TV better than any other kit in MLS. Striking!

Ha! Yes. We are a house divided. My son loves the hypnokit and I've been on the fence since it's launch. It was growing on me but I needed something to blame last night, so the kit gets it. #sorry_notsorry

Reactions: Goodfella
Ha! Yes. We are a house divided. My son loves the hypnokit and I've been on the fence since it's launch. It was growing on me but I needed something to blame last night, so the kit gets it. #sorry_notsorry
ha! definitely grew on me. Was not a fan when it was released, clearly has hypnotic opinion changing qualities

I knew it We were in trouble when I asked for dill chips for my burger, and my wife came back from Brooklyn Fare with a damn jar of bread and butter pickles. That is in no way comparable or an acceptable substitute.

I found a single kosher in a jar in the back of the fridge. Said it expired in June 14. I ate it anyway. Pretty blah. Like this game.

Hang on hang on-- Brooklyn Fare? do you live in the neighborhood?

ha! definitely grew on me. Was not a fan when it was released, clearly has hypnotic opinion changing qualities
For the record, after 3 games in the HypnoKit, it has a perfectly spread record of 1 Win, 1 Draw, and 1 Loss.