Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I think the lack of posts this week is due to the lack of drama about the outcome. Despite a general undercurrent of "I won't believe it until it happens" the dominant feeling has been it's happening and we just have to wait through the process.

This, and the fact that there's very little juice around this team right now. Hard to get excited for a Nick Cushing run squad that can barely score goals and struggles to even win games at home. Put a well known, established, European striker on this team and things are probably very different.

Reactions: snugglefarts
The biggest, (longest running? )thread on the forums may become obsolete. Some of us who've been posting for damn near a decade are probably having an existential crisis.
But seriously, FINALLY. Kudos to everyone who tirelessly worked on the project and those of us who kept faith from the start, lost then regained it or just had any faith at any point.

Can't wait for the 1st game at the stadium.

We need something to rally around to excite the forums…what beers will be sold in the new stadium?? 🍺
What beers? Where will the bricks be? How fast will the Wifi be? When it rains, who in the stands is getting wet?

Decent article on the stadium in the post . The comments section will make you despair for humanity .
Let me guess. Even split between "Who cares about soccer" and "housing for illegals" type comments?

some news anchors are reporting that the stadium will be called the cube and not that the special entrance is called the cube.
From a Gothamist article:
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 7.29.04 PM.png
I'd love to know who it was lmao
From the same article:
Queens Councilmember Shekar Krishnan cast the sole dissenting vote. He noted that the NYCFC’s majority owner, Sheikh Mansour, is “one of the wealthiest men on the planet” and that the redevelopment deal would allow the team to avoid paying property taxes…“This is a bad deal for New York City,” Krishnan said. “And this is a terrible precedent for land use. A stadium on public land, subsidized by hundreds of millions in public funds, is not a good deal.”

From a Gothamist article:
View attachment 13273

From the same article:
Queens Councilmember Shekar Krishnan cast the sole dissenting vote. He noted that the NYCFC’s majority owner, Sheikh Mansour, is “one of the wealthiest men on the planet” and that the redevelopment deal would allow the team to avoid paying property taxes…“This is a bad deal for New York City,” Krishnan said. “And this is a terrible precedent for land use. A stadium on public land, subsidized by hundreds of millions in public funds, is not a good deal.”

I’m confused. I thought the project was completely privately funded by CFG. And how is this on public land? Aren’t they basically creating a whole development in the area for business and affordable housing? How is this being subsidized by public funds and a bad precedent for land use? Seems like he’s a low information voter to me

much rather the cube than the Etihad something .
Seriously. And I'm pretty sure everyone is going to call it The Cube no matter who plunks down for the naming rights, anyway.

Which I'm personally cool with. It has a hip (do people still say that?) funky scifi vibe to it, and science fiction and I go back a long way.

Besides, it is a cube.

Reactions: gbservis
The biggest, (longest running? )thread on the forums may become obsolete. Some of us who've been posting for damn near a decade are probably having an existential crisis.
But seriously, FINALLY. Kudos to everyone who tirelessly worked on the project and those of us who kept faith from the start, lost then regained it or just had any faith at any point.

Can't wait for the 1st game at the stadium.

It's funny you post this. I was just thinking back on the history of this thread this week. I had an almost sister-in-law that worked for the MTA who was part of the (pre?) planning to move the Yankee Stadium Metro North stop if the elevator location worked. I play soccer with a partner at CAA who worked on the Man City 2nd and 3rd tier media rights in the US who would give me little nuggets when CFG's brass was in NYC, and there seemed to always be random friends/acquaintances/friends of friends who worked for the City or consulting firms who always seemed to know something. Every time I heard a nugget there was an inner discussion on whether a few sentences about a complex situation was really worth sharing or not. Amazed it worked out in the end.

This is gonna be good.

Seriously. And I'm pretty sure everyone is going to call it The Cube no matter who plunks down for the naming rights, anyway.

Which I'm personally cool with. It has a hip (do people still say that?) funky scifi vibe to it, and science fiction and I go back a long way.

Besides, it is a cube.

the cube => the coop.