Votes: 74 78.7%
  • Mattarita

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Mix

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Pirlo

Votes: 13 13.8%

• Total voters
Mendoza, holy crap. He is going to be good. I know this was a very small sample size, and his first match, so very limited tape on him, but his speed and technical ability are going to be fantastic out on the wing. I'd really like to see him out there for Khiry, then let Khiry come on later for Mendoza or TT and run over and past defenders
It's ok, we can still overreact. All I've wanted to talk about this week is how good he is going to be.

I missed the origins of the Mix "Second breakfast" nickname. Is he supposed to be a hobbit or something?
Yeah, I'm not sure I've heard anyone else use it. I just think he has a striking resemblance to Pippin from LOTR

1420350406873.jpg

Just watched the first half of the match and while disappointing there's no way Saunders is going to stop that shot at the end from going in. There were four Toronto players in the box behind our defense and he had no chance as he couldn't possibly cover all of them.

Will watch the second half later.
OK, watched the whole match now. That second goal was a bummer but it was hardly Saunders' fault. Could he have stopped it? Yeah, maybe. But that he didn't is not an indictable offense. Firstly the ball went right through the defender's legs. That makes it much harder for the keeper to see. Also, people have complained about his positioning, but if you watch the footage a few times you'll see that Giovinco is coming at him from his right and there are also two other Toronto attackers already behind our defense, one centered and one to Saunders' left. If he cuts off more of the angle on his right that leaves the whole goal undefended to his left with two onrushing attackers. If he moves a bit to his left to counter this he's opening up the right for Gio. Without more defenders to close all this down there's really no good play for Saunders no matter what he does, and the goal was the result. Really hard to blame him in this sort of no-win situation.

Same sort of thing for Khiry. He's good, he's young, he's fast, and I think he'll only get better and better. A lot of people here have complained that he holds the ball too long and constantly loses it. Well, yeah, but watch it again and you'll see Toronto often had three or four guys around him. I'm totally looking forward to the day when he's more experienced, enough to know how to get out of those situations with a quick pass or a great move. And thankfully we have a set of three DPs and a coach for him to learn from who are masters at that sort of thing. If Shelton can add that to his game there'll be no stopping him and he may be able to tear up the league in a year or two.

So after watching the whole match again I'm still bummed we didn't win as we had a good number of chances for a third goal. But we're a much better team this year, and at this point I'm pretty optimistic about our chances.

Bring on Orlando!

Reactions: Sabo and FootyLovin
In a college bball forum I frequent, we all use teal font in order to designate sarcasm. Works great.
That teal looks like City Blue - which by the transitive property would mean that any time we're sarcastic, we're actually firing a volley across the bow of City.

Q.E.D.

Same sort of thing for Khiry. He's good, he's young, he's fast, and I think he'll only get better and better. A lot of people here have complained that he holds the ball too long and constantly loses it. Well, yeah, but watch it again and you'll see Toronto often had three or four guys around him. I'm totally looking forward to the day when he's more experienced, enough to know how to get out of those situations with a quick pass or a great move. And thankfully we have a set of three DPs and a coach for him to learn from who are masters at that sort of thing. If Shelton can add that to his game there'll be no stopping him and he may be able to tear up the league in a year or two.

Bring on Orlando!

This is the point that people need to keep making about Khiry. He's raw, sure, but the solution to that is to play him, not sit him. Once his judgment and touch get better, he will be a killer for us.

In a college bball forum I frequent, we all use teal font in order to designate sarcasm. Works great.
Teal on white gets very hard to read when you reach middle age, and I do love my sarcasm. I even enjoy the game of deciding whether the person who wrote it is dense or sarcastic.

This is the point that people need to keep making about Khiry. He's raw, sure, but the solution to that is to play him, not sit him. Once his judgment and touch get better, he will be a killer for us.
If we accept this, do we need to accept it as a starting role? Does he need 90 a game to develop? Or does he develop effectively by subbing in around minute 60? I would think a coach sitting next to him on the bench every game and pointing things out during the run of play for the first hour would help. Then bring him on when the defense is tired and hasn't game planned for him and hopefully he learns more quickly.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I was seated behind the goal on Khiry's shot. The ball was low and when it struck the outside of the net everyone in my section was celebrating because we thought it was a goal and the first home goal of the season at that. High fives all around, etc. The ball was so low that couldn't see that it was not in the goal. We couldn't imagine he would miss it from there. Our joy was destroyed when we saw a goal kick instead of movement towards the center of the pitch.

Is it just me or is the advertising board behind the goal new this season? Or has it been moved slightly? It seems like last season I could see the entirety of the goal and now I can't see the very bottom because its blocked by the ad board. :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/NYCFC/comments/4ai78d/songschants/d10r1bc

It's simply the best chant we got. When you hear Chicken Bucket, scream it.

The chicken bucket really is like the only thing in the stadium priced reasonably. I think its like $20 and can feed a few people, or one hungry ass sonofabitch destined for greatness. I was in 205 on Sun and many chicken buckets were raised. My brother had one, I made the stupid decision to try Johnny Rockets. I ate 1/4 of that terrible burger, tossed it, and settled for a coffee. Ended up getting Rosa's Pizza and a 32oz IPA in Penn before my train - should have gone for the bucket.

If we accept this, do we need to accept it as a starting role? Does he need 90 a game to develop? Or does he develop effectively by subbing in around minute 60? I would think a coach sitting next to him on the bench every game and pointing things out during the run of play for the first hour would help. Then bring him on when the defense is tired and hasn't game planned for him and hopefully he learns more quickly.

Well, more minutes = faster development, but you also don't have to rate development over other things, like having the best players on the pitch. That said, I think he's playing pretty well. Sure, he's made a couple of bad decisions, but he is aggressive, and he is getting himself into dangerous positions, which is half the battle. Plus, he has played well defensively too. Who else would you put in there? I would be fine with Poku, but for whatever reason, he's not in the running. Maybe Mendoza, but we need to see more of him to know.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Well, more minutes = faster development, but you also don't have to rate development over other things, like having the best players on the pitch. That said, I think he's playing pretty well. Sure, he's made a couple of bad decisions, but he is aggressive, and he is getting himself into dangerous positions, which is half the battle. Plus, he has played well defensively too. Who else would you put in there? I would be fine with Poku, but for whatever reason, he's not in the running. Maybe Mendoza, but we need to see more of him to know.
Agree with all of that. And FWIW I don't want Khiry out. Though I do think he should know his spot has competition.

Reactions: SoupInNYC