Toronto Postmatch

I loved how pissed Bradley was getting, we really frustrated him.

Anyone else think that yellow was weird at the end where the ref wasn't going to card our guy, then carded after Bradley screamed at him? That ref was weird. inconsistent on the fouling and way too concerned about exactly where the throw ins were.

Anyone else think that yellow was weird at the end where the ref wasn't going to card our guy, then carded after Bradley screamed at him? That ref was weird. inconsistent on the fouling and way too concerned about exactly where the throw ins were.

I thought mix's yellow was deserved for the way he fouled Bradley and kicking the ball away after. Bravo's card was nonsense for the particular foul but perhaps given for accumulated fouls. I was really hoping Villa would come on and he didn't disappoint with sharing his opinion of the ref once he did

and way too concerned about exactly where the throw ins were.
This is a very MLS thing. The refs are constantly moving players back on throw ins. I rarely see it in other leagues. They also get very fussed if the ball is rolling slightly when someone takes a free kick quickly.

I guess it is some sort of futile effort to control what they can.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT

That really was bizarre and surprising. It was clearly a card, but a ref should never change his mind based upon the persuasiveness of an interested player. He was awful all-around. He also seemed to make things personal by the way he treated Mullins. He clearly didn't call a foul when Mullins was slew-footed because he was pissed at Mullins for his own conduct.

Stayed up late into the dead of night to watch the game.
Delighted with a point. The improvement over the last 4 games is staggering.
Doom and gloom disappears and now optimism is lighting everywhere up.

Wonderful to see.

At the beginning of the season, I voiced concern over whether PV can see our deficiencies and wondered if he was able to cure our repeated failings. I didn’t think he could, if I’m honest. How wrong I was.

Pride, passion, skill and excitement are all virtues or our NYC, and I’m delighted for everyone.

I am on the Bravo bandwagon as a top 5 CDM in MLS, but what will separate him from being as good as a Jermaine Jones type of player is his dribbling ability. He made an awesome standing tackle and had a ton of space but after 3 to 4 dribbles a defender met him and he looked terrified and pretty sure he had a giveaway. He is young so definitely time to improve that, and even if he doesn't, he will still be one of the best in MLS if we sign him (how I hope we do).

Reactions: Kjbert
This is a very MLS thing. The refs are constantly moving players back on throw ins. I rarely see it in other leagues. They also get very fussed if the ball is rolling slightly when someone takes a free kick quickly.

I guess it is some sort of futile effort to control what they can.

I think the obsessive precision on throw ins and restarts just results from the influence of other American sports - football and basketball in particular. In those games, there is good reason to be very precise about where the game restarts, and while it is less important in soccer, some of that concern gets carried over.

The ref was weird and inconsistent. I can't complain about the Mix yellow; the Mullins one was a little much - even if he had just been warned. The yellow on Villa was mystifying.

I thought that the color guy Janusz was way too dismissive of PV’s decisions and critical of the play. I’m ok with announcers being fair and not necessarily showing bias or giving too much benefit of the doubt, but I thought that he was a bit too far in the other direction. Maybe it was just me.
I thought your entire post was strong but want to step in and back up Janusz as a few people have quibbled with him. Everyone can use more Joy in their lives, but I also like Janusz's blend of critical positivity. When Mullins missed his first opportunity, he immediately noted that he has to and needs to make those opportunities, but also noted that:
  • he has the ability and usually does
  • Mullins created his opportunity with a good run which is typical of him, and
  • Mullins is in a streak where sub-par performance propagates itself and one good goal can end it
I find that sort of commentary to be typical of Janusz. I missed the opening so I didn't hear his discussion of the lineup and maybe I would agree if I had. But overall I like the guy and his perspective.

It seemed like every time we were fouling them our guys were grabbing the ball and rolling it five or six feet backwards, and every time we did that he would get pissed. I really don't like this TFC team, I don't care if Bradley and Jozy are on it, just a weird mix of really soft guys, really dirty guys, and guys with really bad hair and tattoos

A few additional observations.

I agree with those who liked Mix's performance. He was very aggressive in closing down opponents when they had the ball. There are 5 guys up top who should be doing that, and it often appeared that he was the only one that was putting in the effort. It's also worth pointing out that we signed him, played him, and then signed a world class, legendary guy who does mostly the same thing. If not for Pirlo, Mix would have led the CM for us and done well, I think.

Poku obviously gets praise for scoring an amazing goal, and he was dangerous at other times too. I continue to believe he is best at being a WF on this team, allowing him to run at defenders and lay off passes. Indeed, his biggest contributions were when he had switched places with Ballouchy and was cutting in from the left.

Saunders was solid today. He shut down Gio one-on-one, blocked Gio's excellent free kick, made a double save, and certainly wasn't at fault for the goal. I was negative about him for a while, but fair is fair, and if EJ didn't start this game, then Vieira obviously doesn't think that he is that close.

White is a guy that needs to be playing less, IMHO. I like him, and I think he will develop into a solid player for us, but as has been pointed out, he is mistake prone. Not sure why he plays at RB in front of two guys who saw playing time anyway.

I should say that it is hard to get too upset about that goal, because Toronto had earned enough good chances to get one. Plus, it was a great ball in along with two great runs.

Ballouchy is a good guy for certain situations in games. He works hard and can pester an opponent while we have the lead. Don't think he is a starter or even an every game sub. Notable that he was, in my mind, a bit out of position last night.

Bravo, as has been pointed out, was terrific. Note the difference in how our midfield controlled things and broke up play between the Portland and Toronto games, and Toronto was the tougher opponent in this regard, I think.

Worth noting that while we played our B team, Toronto had kind of an A- team as they were missing a few key players. That said, they still had Gio and Brantley in there and were playing to win.

I think we have a great core of younger players who aren't ready to be full time starters yet, but can contribute here and there as they grow their games. I am thinking of guys like Martinez (24), White (25), Poku (24), Mendoza (23), and Mullins (24). That these guys can come in, start, and earn a point in a tough game bodes well for the future. And all that is without mentioning young guys already getting the job done as regular starters: Bravo (22), Allen (26), Mix (25), McNamara (25), Lopez (23), and Shelton (22).

We've had 12 games - 6 at home and 6 away - and we are right where we want to be: close to the top of the table and riding momentum. We now have 4 in a row coming at home. We have to get it done in these games to put us in position for the 2nd half of the season.

I missed the opening so I didn't hear his discussion of the lineup and maybe I would agree if I had. But overall I like the guy and his perspective.
All good points. My comment was primarily driven by his discussion of PV's decision at the outset. He spent a couple of minutes criticizing it (and then a few times revisiting it), and I think came on a little too strongly against it, and his tone was a bit harsher than I would have expected even if he disagreed. I wasn't offended by it (and it really wasn't that bad), and, in his defense, he was asked how he felt about it.

There were other comments he made throughout the game that I thought at the time were interesting and insightful.

On the play that Moor was upset on the offsides call, I'm surprised there isn't a whole lot more commentary on that here.

That particular play Mullins made a run over to the left and the ball was played to him, he looked offsides to me watching it live, but tbh I couldn't tell for sure. But I could have sworn the linesman put his flag up. I can go back and watch to confirm, but I really thought I saw him put his flag up. But the play continued....

Did anyone else see that too?

Also, YES sucks. Horribly. Not that I was expecting much from the halftime program, but the audio kept cutting in and out, and the bit they played was edited extremely poorly where there was audio being played, but then they started showing an in-game interview with Villa, that was actually from another game??? It was odd.

And then at one point in the second-half the feed cut out for like 10 seconds just before a TFC corner, and then was super choppy for about a minute or so afterwards.

Between this and the inability to show games live, I'm really losing my patience with YES. Unfortunately there are not a whole ton of options there.

Interesting when Ballouchy and Poku switched, and I'm interested in how that happened. As the game started, it looked like Ballouchy was playing on the LW and Poku as one of the mids. Then at some point it seemed that Ballouchy naturally started playing much deeper into his more natural position being a holding mid-type.

I really didn't notice Poku playing on the LW until the second half started. I'm wondering if PV didn't really think Ballouchy could stay in position at LW and decided to throw Poku out there.

Mix had his best game of the season. He played Pirlo's role, not Lopez's role. I thought he played great, but not as well as Pirlo has played. He's essentially Pirlo's back-up. And I'm OK with that. You can tell that his role is an 8 in this formation. Not a 10. Not a 6. An 8. Pirlo plays that role now. Sorry Mix.

Poku had a moment of brilliance and nothing else. You can tell that he has absolutely no clue what he is doing out there. All the physical talent in the world and he's still learning the game. He was lazy on defense. There were multiple times when Mix and Mullins would press and call for him to press and he just jogged around. He should be traded while he still has value.

Saunders stopped some great shots. He also kicked the ball out of bounds 5 times. He's still a TERRIBLE distributor and has no left foot.

Speaking of bad feet, with that line-up, Mendoza should have played down the left so he could get crosses in. Thought that was a tactical error on PV's part to not play him down the left with a target man available to him as a CF (Mullins).

Mullins cost us two goals. You need to finish those opportunities. I know he's rusty, but you need to be ready to play always and he just wasn't ready to score last night. I thought he pressed well. You can tell he has no confidence.

Ballouchy didn't make a big impact. Thought he covered for Poku well defensively.

I thought Martinez was terrible. I was happy to see RJ Allen go over there and take his spot with the second sub. Outside of CF, LB may be the one position with the biggest disparity between our starter and back-up. He was abused all night.

Bravo was incredible. Second best to Mix's performance. He needs to be in your 11 every game. He provides unbelievable cover to our CMs and CBs. We haven't had a player like that before and I'm loving it. He's great in the air, breaks up a lot of plays and can distribute.

Brillant and Hernandez were solid. Really coming into their own.

White is frustrating. Has physical tools, but like Poku, he seems to lack knowledge of the game.

RJ Allen came in and solidified the defense. Loved watching him and Iraola talk during the game. Iraola seems like a great guy to have on the team. Acting as a teacher for some of the younger guys.

Iraola had a couple of nice moments on the ball when he came in.

Villa almost scored from 40 yards. What an attempt that was.

Not to stir any controversy, but did anyone think that Poku was going to snub PV when he came off and PV approached him for a handshake? It almost looked like he was going to leave PV hanging and then the camera veered off them at the last second, so I have no idea what happened.

This match showed the drop off between our outside backs in Mata & RJ vs. any combo of White/Iraola/Martinez. Granted, Martinez didn't play horribly, but he didn't play well either. Also looked dead around 55 minutes into the game, and then got subbed off first while searching for something called oxygen. Could just be due to not playing often, but he was shot after only 2/3 of a soccer game. White is at best a cover in case of injury or just an extra sub in the 90th minute of a game where we have a one goal lead. Caught ball watching way too often. Iraola... is just too damn slow and can't really play defense all that well. Or, he should never pass the midfield line since he can't recover when the other team has the ball and counters us.

I agree entirely on Martinez. Was generally serviceable, but stamina wasn't there. He was working really hard sharing the side with Poku, but still. It is a near term consideration, because I think that Matarrita misses 5/29 and 6/2 with his call-up. That's two matches where, you would have thought, Martinez should be starting, but it would be a quick turn-around. I suppose the alternative is that RJ plays on the left for one with Iraola or White at RB. Would much rather Martinez be able to do the job though.

On the play that Moor was upset on the offsides call, I'm surprised there isn't a whole lot more commentary on that here.

That particular play Mullins made a run over to the left and the ball was played to him, he looked offsides to me watching it live, but tbh I couldn't tell for sure. But I could have sworn the linesman put his flag up. I can go back and watch to confirm, but I really thought I saw him put his flag up. But the play continued....

Did anyone else see that too?

They commented on the Toronto feed from MLS live. There was a deflection from a Toronto defender which is why they said he put the flag down.

Reactions: Gene
So Poku scored and then was at fault for their goal. I know everyone likes him but i would like to see him traded as its clear he doesn't care enough to put any effort in defensively and i would rather less talented players like Lopez play because atleast they give 100%.