2017 Roster Discussion

I'm going to go with a negative on that ghost rider, NYCFC will not cover costs whatever we do.
Not sure how we can say this categorically. If we could move him while retaining 100 or 200k of his charge on our books, that is probably a smart thing to do assuming no better alternative transaction is available and assuming that, whether fair or not, he doesn't have a role on the team. I say that because I agree with your comments about his current salary being an albatross that really hamstrings us. But, we can carry 100-200k of dead space. Heck, many would say we are doing that right now with various players!

Reactions: Schwallacus
If we can't trade, loan, or transfer Mix this offseason, NYCFC will surely invoke this clause in the MLS roster rules:

(D) BUYOUT OF GUARANTEED CONTRACT
A club may buy out one player who has a Guaranteed Contract (including a DP’s) during the offseason and free up the corresponding budget space. Such a buyout is at the MLS club’s expense.

A club may not free up room in the salary budget with a buyout of a player’s contract during the season. In the case a team buys out a player’s contract during the season, the buyout amount will be charged against the club’s salary budget.

Reactions: Viewfrom226
Reactions: Kjbert and joe
Not sure how we can say this categorically. If we could move him while retaining 100 or 200k of his charge on our books, that is probably a smart thing to do assuming no better alternative transaction is available and assuming that, whether fair or not, he doesn't have a role on the team. I say that because I agree with your comments about his current salary being an albatross that really hamstrings us. But, we can carry 100-200k of dead space. Heck, many would say we are doing that right now with various players!

Carrying Mix at $200k ties him with Jazon Hernandez as our joint 8/9th highest paid player on the team. In MLS, especially on a three DP team, where ~37.5% of your cap space is tied up in three players, someone making $200k is someone who should be starting. Keeping Mix on at 100k a year makes him our 14th highest paid player.

I think a lot of people haven't really thought through the implications of having a 3 DP team from a salary cap standpoint. If you go with that 3 DP team you have really constrained yourself from a cap perspective for everyone else, you cannot waste cap anywhere else if you want to be competitive as a team. It's just too valuable. Btw assuming that Mix's salary was bought down only to the maximum budget charge, Mix + 3 DP's = 50.7% of our cap space.

The cap distortions that arise due to our use of 3 DP's are serious. When Mix and Lampard aren't on the field we're missing ~25% of our cap space.

Riddle me this what does a NYCFC team with a healthy Frank Lampard and a defender who's just a little bit worse than Matt Miazga, last year, look like?

Cap space is the biggest reason I think Frank will retire, it's simply too risky to spend ~12.5% of your cap on a player with a serious injury history. It doesn't matter how good he is if he misses half the season.

Our basic 3 DP and one half DP strategy is fine, with the way we're executing it it's amazing, it just requires that four specific players play damn near every one of our matches if we want a shot at the cup/shield. We must be absolutely ruthless in deriving value from every dollar not tied to our four best players, any chance of success we have rests on it.

Carrying Mix at $200k ties him with Jazon Hernandez as our joint 8/9th highest paid player on the team. In MLS, especially on a three DP team, where ~37.5% of your cap space is tied up in three players, someone making $200k is someone who should be starting. Keeping Mix on at 100k a year makes him our 14th highest paid player.

I think a lot of people haven't really thought through the implications of having a 3 DP team from a salary cap standpoint. If you go with that 3 DP team you have really constrained yourself from a cap perspective for everyone else, you cannot waste cap anywhere else if you want to be competitive as a team. It's just too valuable. Btw assuming that Mix's salary was bought down only to the maximum budget charge, Mix + 3 DP's = 50.7% of our cap space.

The cap distortions that arise due to our use of 3 DP's are serious. When Mix and Lampard aren't on the field we're missing ~25% of our cap space.

Riddle me this what does a NYCFC team with a healthy Frank Lampard and a defender who's just a little bit worse than Matt Miazga, last year, look like?

Cap space is the biggest reason I think Frank will retire, it's simply too risky to spend ~12.5% of your cap on a player with a serious injury history. It doesn't matter how good he is if he misses half the season.

Our basic 3 DP and one half DP strategy is fine, with the way we're executing it it's amazing, it just requires that four specific players play damn near every one of our matches if we want a shot at the cup/shield. We must be absolutely ruthless in deriving value from every dollar not tied to our four best players, any chance of success we have rests on it.
Or absolutely ruthless in what we ask of the limited skill players whom we must sign due to the restrictions. That is to say, make damn sure every cheap, sorry as shit player we have is asked to do something very specifically suited to his precise skills.

Or absolutely ruthless in what we ask of the limited skill players whom we must sign due to the restrictions. That is to say, make damn sure every cheap, sorry as shit player we have is asked to do something very specifically suited to his precise skills.
Ergo... ask Saunders to sit on the bench.... Or lay on the ground next to the bench.

Our basic 3 DP and one half DP strategy is fine, with the way we're executing it it's amazing, it just requires that four specific players play damn near every one of our matches if we want a shot at the cup/shield.
Actually, I think there's more room for error. If Mix contributed for half the season what is expected of a 1/2 DP (if that's what we're calling this), what would that have been worth? Surely 5 points. No? We'd be in the driver's seat for East Conf and CCL. We'd be in the mix for SS. And that with Mix missing 1/2 a season and Lamps missing 1/2 season.

So you don't need all 4 playing damn near every match. But losing 1.5 of the 4. That makes it tough.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
For the love that is all holy, if Josh Saunders is anywhere near the starting goalkeeping position in 2017, I will find where Vieira lives and light a bag of poo on his doorstep. Or something like that...
I'v been told quite bluntly by those in high ranking on this forum because of my love Only for Andrea and not for this Team as a whole is the main reason that those here have no Respect for Me and not just me being crazy !! I disagree with that accusation ! I Most Definitely Support this Team !! But This Josh Saunders is the deal breaker and the main and only real problem I have with this Team !! It seems to me that everyone can say what they want about him but me sometimes! I Have Asked Time after Time What is the answer to this problem of his obvious ineptness and Nobody Ever Answers me !! Then this same person told me i waste this forums time with stupid questions! How can this Josh Saunders problem that hurts this team so bad Ever be a Stupid Question ????? Mr Saunders maybe the nicest guy in the world the father of the year loves and adores fans loves little puppies and everything a good man should be yes to all that and more..............BUT As a Goalie He Sucks !! We need a Beast for a Keeper !! We don't have that and it's cost this Team Sadly and made fools of the rest of the team !!! 7 and 0 WHAT THE F ??? Josh is an embarrassment to this team period !!! It makes me cringe that this team is stuck with him!! So Anybody Who Makes a Fool of this Team that Andrea left Everything for I Have a Problem with !! So the people who continue to have a problem with me........You have no problem ! This Team that you people Love and Claim to Support does !!!...............Face this problem and Answer my Question What do we do about Josh Saunders ?? Thank - You !!

Reactions: NYdoesitEZ
I'v been told quite bluntly by those in high ranking on this forum because of my love Only for Andrea and not for this Team as a whole is the main reason that those here have no Respect for Me and not just me being crazy !! I disagree with that accusation ! I Most Definitely Support this Team !! But This Josh Saunders is the deal breaker and the main and only real problem I have with this Team !! It seems to me that everyone can say what they want about him but me sometimes! I Have Asked Time after Time What is the answer to this problem of his obvious ineptness and Nobody Ever Answers me !! Then this same person told me i waste this forums time with stupid questions! How can this Josh Saunders problem that hurts this team so bad Ever be a Stupid Question ????? Mr Saunders maybe the nicest guy in the world the father of the year loves and adores fans loves little puppies and everything a good man should be yes to all that and more..............BUT As a Goalie He Sucks !! We need a Beast for a Keeper !! We don't have that and it's cost this Team Sadly and made fools of the rest of the team !!! 7 and 0 WHAT THE F ??? Josh is an embarrassment to this team period !!! It makes me cringe that this team is stuck with him!! So Anybody Who Makes a Fool of this Team that Andrea left Everything for I Have a Problem with !! So the people who continue to have a problem with me........You have no problem ! This Team that you people Love and Claim to Support does !!!...............Face this problem and Answer my Question What do we do about Josh Saunders ?? Thank - You !!
seriously just relax and discuss the topic at hand. If you just reply with your take on the post all is good. There's literally no reason to have that long winded post taking shots at me and so on in a post unrelated to the one we talked in yeaterday

Actually, I think there's more room for error. If Mix contributed for half the season what is expected of a 1/2 DP (if that's what we're calling this), what would that have been worth? Surely 5 points. No? We'd be in the driver's seat for East Conf and CCL. We'd be in the mix for SS. And that with Mix missing 1/2 a season and Lamps missing 1/2 season.

So you don't need all 4 playing damn near every match. But losing 1.5 of the 4. That makes it tough.
seriously just relax and discuss the topic at hand. If you just reply with your take on the post all is good. There's literally no reason to have that long winded post taking shots at me and so on in a post unrelated to the one we talked in yeaterday
Dan here you go again !! Did you see what Lion said ? I'm only replying to what he said with my take !! You say long winded look at what I said in it's full context I'm only telling people How Josh Saunders effects the team and how and why I have a problem with it ! ......It's all connected to the things you accused me of !! This Teams Roster is dramatically effected by him long term ! Do you get that ?? I'm only making my point like anybody else no matter if it one sentence or a paragraph !! So if you can stop attacking and dismissing me and Answer my Question about Josh ! You need to stick to the point !! Oh and by the way I never mentioned you by name I kept your name out of it !!! Couldn't you have Thanked me on that??

I've blocked your posts for a while now and displayed this one because I figured it related to what I wrote. I find your posts long winded and don't contribute to the conversation at hand. Stay on message, don't complain what other people have said about you, and please for the love of God use proper grammar and punctuation. The last one is the biggest reason of your posts that caused me to block you in the first place. And not everything has to include Andrea Pirlo.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Bully's and English teachers. and freedom of speech thief's ! So sad ! I hope you feel good guy's!

Angela you just said the post had nothing to do with me but you start the damn post referencing me and do it multiple times again throughout the post. Completely off topic from what the thread was discussing.
I simply stated to please stay on topic and not derail threads. we had the discussion yesterday. No reason to continue it today and call me out in this thread. The end.

I think we should all fight.

giphy.gif

Chanot is making $350K this season having come during the summer. Will his salary for 2017 be inflated because he'll be here the whole year so it will be $700K?

Reactions: Kjbert