Chicago postmatch

I think people have just typecast him as "a CONCACAF player." He's young, talented, aggressive. I don't know if he complains more than average, but he's not really the "strong, silent, play-through-it" type either. And he can oversell legit fouls a little—not really simulation, but a degree of youthful overacting when trying to make the foul "stick." In combination, folks just don't cut him any slack.

Maybe I'm unfairly projecting r/MLS attitude about City onto the refs, but it seems to me that they whistle him like they're trying to put him in his place. Even Ring, who's just as aggressive, gets more leeway. (I say, completely without data to back it up.) Looks to me like it's a personal thing against Yangel as a "type."

In any case, that's at least what Chapman was doing yesterday, to my eye. The calls were inexcusable. Not about the fouls, or even game control at that point. Just a dominance display against a young player who got under his skin
They ignore many fouls against Maxi too. Which is kinda funny since he's Argentinian and from CONMEBOL.

Whatever it is labeled, there is a blatant bias against NYCFC with the non-PK calls.

I think people have just typecast him as "a CONCACAF player." He's young, talented, aggressive. I don't know if he complains more than average, but he's not really the "strong, silent, play-through-it" type either. And he can oversell legit fouls a little—not really simulation, but a degree of youthful overacting when trying to make the foul "stick." In combination, folks just don't cut him any slack.

Maybe I'm unfairly projecting r/MLS attitude about City onto the refs, but it seems to me that they whistle him like they're trying to put him in his place. Even Ring, who's just as aggressive, gets more leeway. (I say, completely without data to back it up.) Looks to me like it's a personal thing against Yangel as a "type."

In any case, that's at least what Chapman was doing yesterday, to my eye. The calls were inexcusable. Not about the fouls, or even game control at that point. Just a dominance display against a young player who got under his skin

I agree it was completely an ego thing. Chapman pauses and doesn't go for the second yellow until Yangel continues to yell at him. The pause was so noticeable that when I rewatched it after getting home Ian Joy mentions that it looked like the card may have been for dissent rather than the foul. Completely inexcusable way for a professional ref to behave but I think Chapman was miffed that such a young player would talk back at him and pulled a complete spite move. All that said Yangel needs to be smarter.

I agree it was completely an ego thing. Chapman pauses and doesn't go for the second yellow until Yangel continues to yell at him. The pause was so noticeable that when I rewatched it after getting home Ian Joy mentions that it looked like the card may have been for dissent rather than the foul. Completely inexcusable way for a professional ref to behave but I think Chapman was miffed that such a young player would talk back at him and pulled a complete spite move. All that said Yangel needs to be smarter.
Agree about not talking back, but it really seemed like Chapman was riding Hererra really hard leading up to it with the blown No-PK and the dubious Yellow.... it was tough as a spectator to watch and I'm sure it was harder for a kid that felt like he was being targeted. Don't condone talking back, but it's human nature for the frustration to boil over.

That said, MLS/PRO has got a serious problem on their hands with the utter lack of quality in the ref ranks. They can push the "support the party line/officials" all they want, but sports is a big business with results keyed by singular, powerful calls/non-calls, and there's going to be a breaking point when repeatedly slighted teams decide to band against PRO and cancel the affiliation and/or lodge protests against certain refs prior to the match being played. I never like it when Mourinho goes in front of the cameras before a match to say he knows the team won't get calls by XYZ ref, but it does seem to lead to equal parceling of fouls. In light of the last two matches, I'd have no problem if Vieira started doing this.

Reactions: gbservis
Are you referring to the tweets by Doyle? My thought on how this went:

1. Chapman blows an obvious call
2. Doyle (and all the other MLS guys) state "that ref is an idiot, stone cold penalty"
3. League/PRO sends a message "umm, got to support our refs, explain the call"
4. Subsequent "theory" about Yangel being a simulator comes out.

One more thing on Yangel, all those people saying he's going to man city next year can all calm down - some pretty cold ice water over the head for the last two games. Reminds you that the kid is only 19, will have bad games, and also needs to become more mature. Hopefully PV sits him down and talks this one out with him. You know, hard ass midfielder to hard ass midfielder.
Yes, Doyle, but somewhere else I can't remember.

Not Chicago-related except for the similar situation RSL suffered at the hands of the Pro Refs. Petke absolutely tears into them in the post-game presser complete with color printouts. This is what Vieira, and every coach, should do after poorly officiated games. Highlight the poor plays and get on record doing it.

Are you referring to the tweets by Doyle? My thought on how this went:

1. Chapman blows an obvious call
2. Doyle (and all the other MLS guys) state "that ref is an idiot, stone cold penalty"
3. League/PRO sends a message "umm, got to support our refs, explain the call"
4. Subsequent "theory" about Yangel being a simulator comes out.

One more thing on Yangel, all those people saying he's going to man city next year can all calm down - some pretty cold ice water over the head for the last two games. Reminds you that the kid is only 19, will have bad games, and also needs to become more mature. Hopefully PV sits him down and talks this one out with him. You know, hard ass midfielder to hard ass midfielder.

That entire thing was fucking bullshit. He was fined for embellishment on a dead ball incident, nothing to do with the run of play. And if the referees read these reports and then instill a preconceived notion about a player then there is something wrong with the referees and how they are managed.

That was an amazing experience. I was there with two non-soccer family members from San Diego and our new German au pair, and everyone was dumbfounded by the officiating and captivated by the drama unfolding in front of them.

God Chapman was crap. I was happy when I saw him selected for the game, but never again. So many terrible calls and all for one side. It was amazing. I kept waiting for a makeup call, and then two and then three, etc. but none came; the crap just kept on coming. It was almost Swindle in the Swamp bad.

I am going to post a thread about that biased fuck to catalogue the bad calls and then post a poll to determine the stinkiest load of crap he deposited on our beautiful turf yesterday.

Nothing to be said about Villa that hasn't already been said, but it bears repeating, endlessly. The guy leaves everything he has on the field. I kept pointing out to my guests that he could easily jog around and score a few goals, collect his millions and keep everyone happy. But he puts forth all the effort and does all the little things - not because he has to but because he loves the game and keeps a high standard for himself and hates hates hates to lose. So many examples of that yesterday.

What a tremendous job by our team - both in terms of effort and skill. To hold off that team for 90 minutes playing 10 on 12... we'll, it's epic. This is one we will remember for a long long time.
Righteously indignant Gator is my favorite Gator.

One other thing from the game...it was awesome how the fans got into it as it got to the end of the game, even people in my 200 section were clapping and cheering. People *knew* the importance of the game and how NYCFC got screwed, and how important it was to secure the result. Great to see.

That was an amazing experience. I was there with two non-soccer family members from San Diego and our new German au pair, and everyone was dumbfounded by the officiating and captivated by the drama unfolding in front of them.

God Chapman was crap. I was happy when I saw him selected for the game, but never again. So many terrible calls and all for one side. It was amazing. I kept waiting for a makeup call, and then two and then three, etc. but none came; the crap just kept on coming. It was almost Swindle in the Swamp bad.

I am going to post a thread about that biased fuck to catalogue the bad calls and then post a poll to determine the stinkiest load of crap he deposited on our beautiful turf yesterday.

Nothing to be said about Villa that hasn't already been said, but it bears repeating, endlessly. The guy leaves everything he has on the field. I kept pointing out to my guests that he could easily jog around and score a few goals, collect his millions and keep everyone happy. But he puts forth all the effort and does all the little things - not because he has to but because he loves the game and keeps a high standard for himself and hates hates hates to lose. So many examples of that yesterday.

What a tremendous job by our team - both in terms of effort and skill. To hold off that team for 90 minutes playing 10 on 12... we'll, it's epic. This is one we will remember for a long long time.
Nothing is as bad as the swindle in the swamp. The USA Today even called it that. When a national news paper talks about officiating in a college football game, you know the fix was in.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
So, did PV hit back at the refs after the game yesterday? Given some of the outbursts by MLS coaches regarding the officiating (Petke being Petke and Vanney getting close to whiny Marsch/Kreis territory), curious to see how PV acted in the presser yesterday.

He had every right to give a Petke-level rant but curious to see how PV played it.

Reactions: Kjbert
It was a heck of a performance , though, I guess Chicago aren't the second coming after all. Everyone feeling a little better? There was a lot of doom or gloom around here after the Toronto draw. A lot of the sky is falling and we have no chance against the mighty Fire and look no Chanot? Mikey in for Sweat and a red card and we still beat them! Parity league folks. I'd love to shore up the defense a bit but we've got as good a chance as anyone at the cup.

Not related to NYCFC: LOL at everyone shitting on Basti's "heart." Since we are only going based off of one game reviews, may I bring up the 2014 World Cu Final? Please, go on about telling me he has no heart.

Beautiful show of energy and determination from the boys in the game today. Can agree that the supporters section wasn't as crazy and loud today, probably due to the sun and heat. Cooked in those bleachers throughout the game. Villa goal was beautiful, and enjoyed Lewis' speed on the wing. Helped stretch out Chicago's defense even though we were down a man. Brillant stepped up, hope he can continue to do so in what looks like 3-5 games without Chanot.

What a day/game.

Reactions: Christopher Jee