Nycfc V Philly Motm & Post-match

I know, I was just making a point that a a couple of goals doesn't mean you deserve to be in the team. I think most people on here would agree they'd rather have Shelton or Alvarez on the wing than Ballouchy, despite Ballouchy's goals.

Ballouchy's goals have come when he plays as a CM, not as a RM. He's terrible on the wing. He has basically been scoring from what will be Lampard's position and he has done it in Lampard fashion by ghosting into the box on late offensive plays. Lampard, as much as I hate to say it, would probably have 5 or 6 goals so far if he had played from the start of the season instead of Ballouchy.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Let the kids play Kreis.

It's been the MLS veterans mostly who have been the real donkeys. While the little that has been positive has come almost primarily from the young guns. If we are going to finish outside the playoffs anyway we might as well groom some of the young'ns now for next season. Mullins, Shelton, Poku, Tommy Guns.

Funny what settling down and being played in your right position can do for you. I think there were people ready to ship him back to Manchester earlier in the season? Nothing can fully replicate competition in front of large(ish ) crowds etc. I don't think not even elite level youth stuff. The EPL might be a big step up from MLS but MLS is a big step up from what Facey has experienced before and it was an adjustment. Now my biggest worry is how long we'll be allowed to keep him if he keeps it up. I'm not sure he's ready for the upper end of the Prem and CL not sure Manchester City will want him in their squad yet next season but they might prefer to loan him somewhere lower in the EPL than keeping him in America, hope I'm wrong.

You are correct in saying Shay has made a big step up from youth and reserve team football to MLS.

However, you are incorrect in saying he is ready for the upper end of Prem and CL

Shay would probably make a good fist of it in the Championship, but I think he is better to begin his career in New York. This is the real beginning of his professional career because he has rarely played any first team football. So I expect to see him improve from here.

He doesn't have a future at Manchester City, so you can rest easy there.

Reactions: AJS
Does anyone know where I could track down a replay of the game, on TV or online? Was moving yesterday and couldn't watch/dvr.

Yeap. Re-run tomorrow (Monday) at 7:30PM/YES Network.

Reactions: joe
That's fair enough, I just think Mac is unfit. He could be a decent player given some time.
He undoubtedly had a bad pass or two. One certainly should have been a goal for philly. But he also has had no playing time. Others on the team have had lots of time and are still making the same mistakes.

I'd be very curious to give TMac more time and see what develops. Here's my hope for Montreal:

Villa Mullins
Poku
Alvarez TMac
AJ
Brovsky Facey Hernandez ??

(Assuming I can't hope Mix skips the game against Germany to be home for the game on Saturday.)

I agree with everything you said except the part about McNamara. He's horrible, but he just scored what will go down as our best goal of the season. Ok, right. He wasn't great yesterday, but he certainly wasn't the worst player on the field for us. I'd pick McMullet at LM over Grabavoy every game even though he's actually a CAM.

You might have a point, but that's like asking someone if they want a plate of dog shit, or a plate of dog shit and a cherry.

You are correct in saying Shay has made a big step up from youth and reserve team football to MLS.

However, you are incorrect in saying he is ready for the upper end of Prem and CL

Shay would probably make a good fist of it in the Championship, but I think he is better to begin his career in New York. This is the real beginning of his professional career because he has rarely played any first team football. So I expect to see him improve from here.

It is hard to imagine him succeeding at upper end English football as a CB given his size, even in the Championship. While I'm sure someone can find an exception, you don't see CB's that small at top levels. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but you do have to wonder if Man City wanted him used at right back during the first part of this year to try to improve his marketability and viability in England. He has looked so much better at CB. Maybe the failed experiment at right back is actually best for us because it limits his upside in back home.

William. Actually I said "I'm not sure he's ready " as in I was expressing my doubts he was ready for upper end EPL. Don't see him breaking into the Man City team any time soon or at all just wasn't sure if they'd keep him with us longer or want to move him on to say Leicester or Watford etc. at some point.

Why was Wingert and McN having problems on the left? Because Williams Nogiurea and Le Toux were tearing them apart with zero help from anywhere else (Poku, Villa, oh my). They've torn the left side up against Crew, DC and RB in recent weeks. So yeah both did poorly but so did others from much better teams. But the difference was TMac scored & NYC won.

And no, it's a terrible idea to start anyone over Wingert just because "anyone can play better at LB". That's insane talk. And no Brandt isn't better.

And no, it's a terrible idea to start anyone over Wingert just because "anyone can play better at LB". That's insane talk. And no Brandt isn't better.

When desperate comments start to sink in.. "Start [x player who's has no business starting] over [insert best option]

The question I keep coming back to is one of speed. No one on the team has that as a weapon going forward. Wingert is an easy target for that critique since he is also a liability there against opposing speed coming back on D. But this is a team issue that we are probably 6-12 months from getting better at.

I've been away and haven't seen the game yet. I will probably skim. Can someone give me an idea of roughly when the Nemec/Villa play happened? Thanks/

I've been away and haven't seen the game yet. I will probably skim. Can someone give me an idea of roughly when the Nemec/Villa play happened? Thanks/
Second half. After Ballouchy subbed in. Before Mullins subbed in. My guess around 65th minute.

Reactions: mgarbowski
The question I keep coming back to is one of speed. No one on the team has that as a weapon going forward. Wingert is an easy target for that critique since he is also a liability there against opposing speed coming back on D. But this is a team issue that we are probably 6-12 months from getting better at.
Well I do like what I've seen from Calle. He seems like a LW playing LB but he can cross, has speed and dabbles in defense. If he were healthy we would be the possible upgrade over Wingert. But I can't say the same about Brovsky, Brandt or anyone else.

Reactions: Paul and FootyLovin
Well I do like what I've seen from Calle. He seems like a LW playing LB but he can cross, has speed and dabbles in defense. If he were healthy we would be the possible upgrade over Wingert. But I can't say the same about Brovsky, Brandt or anyone else.
Two weeks in a row we have seen the midfielders playing defense in our own corner. Mix against Houston and T Mac against Philly. That is really not the optimum use of our attacking players. brandt must be the worst player on the planet to not be able to beat out wingert for LB.

Reactions: Kjbert
Two weeks in a row we have seen the midfielders playing defense in our own corner. Mix against Houston and T Mac against Philly. That is really not the optimum use of our attacking players. brandt must be the worst player on the planet to not be able to beat out wingert for LB.

Or he's just a player without an RSL pedigree.

Reactions: Mack and Drainyoo