Away - 10/31 Columbus - 1st Leg ECS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm with the Wallace out crowd. I don't care how good he is on defense, our attack on the left has become entirely ineffective because of him. As a whole our defense isn't bad at all but our attack has stagnated. It's time to sacrifice Rodney's defensive effort for Jonathan's attacking threat.

Reactions: Ulrich
Wallace also gives us a different look as a hold up player. Kind of depends on who we're playing and how we wanna play them.

I imagine if we wanted to beat a press he could be much more useful than Lewis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
His pressing has directly led to goals for us, but I agree that he hasn't been as effective since he returned from the layoff.
But Lewis against Red Bulls created something Off the press where he won the ball and went directly down the throat of Red Bulls and he should have been awarded a penalty. I think we haven't seen enough of Lewis to say his defending is poor it takes time for a young player to learn to defend better from the front especially when coming from college where he probably didn't defend much.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
I see much more potential for a fresh Lewis coming off the bench than I do Wallace. Wallace puts in a fantastic shift that wears down the opponents and I think bringing in the fresh legs of Lewis after that can be wonderful.

Remember that this was the first time in a long damn time that we had our preferred starting XI. Yes we only put in 2, but we generated a shit ton of quality chances, and the pressing of Wallace had a good deal to do with that.

I think Lewis is our future, but I wouldn’t pull Wallace out of our starting XI during the playoffs.

I see much more potential for a fresh Lewis coming off the bench than I do Wallace. Wallace puts in a fantastic shift that wears down the opponents and I think bringing in the fresh legs of Lewis after that can be wonderful.

Remember that this was the first time in a long damn time that we had our preferred starting XI. Yes we only put in 2, but we generated a shit ton of quality chances, and the pressing of Wallace had a good deal to do with that.

I think Lewis is our future, but I wouldn’t pull Wallace out of our starting XI during the playoffs.
Sadly, I think Lewis is our Jack replacement year after next.

Was sweat and white starting OUR preferred starting XI? Let's see Mata and Struna start and see what happens. Agree about Lewis off the bench though.

Was sweat and white starting OUR preferred starting XI? Let's see Mata and Struna start and see what happens. Agree about Lewis off the bench though.
That’s fair. I guess I left out the fullbacks in my previous post. I should have stated our preferred starting front 6

Reactions: adam
It's kinda hard to dish on White - his side was locked down pretty darn well during the match. The goal came off a crazy turnover/foul shy of midfield on the left and a corner kick.

Reactions: Kjbert
It's kinda hard to dish on White - his side was locked down pretty darn well during the match. The goal came off a crazy turnover/foul shy of midfield on the left and a corner kick.
I said it before the Crew match, I'm more comfortable with White at LB. Nothing against Struna, but it's just so hard to integrate a late season signing into the XI. White is solid, healthy and better integrated into our system.
Ben Sweat on the other hand......please tell me nothing is wrong with Mata and it's all him going forward.

Considering last match was the first time in forever that we scored more than 1 goal. We scored 2! And both were Villa. I'd sacrifice a little D for the O that Struna could help provide. He's been with th club nearly 2 months, healthy and practicing. I'd be he's in better form than White at the moment. Only argument for White is playing Mata. You could tell me White would stay back as a 3rd CB while Mata pushes up on O, as they did earlier in the season. And Struna might not be disciplined to do that. Otherwise, put our talent out there and let it rip.

Wallace Villa Jack
Maxi Ring Yangel
mata chanot Callens Struna
Johnson

I'd go to war with that lineup.

Yes, we have come a long way, but I'm gonna defend Irola here. Besides being a classy guy, he was the key for our season not going down the tubes. I mean, we made the playoffs and seeded 2nd. When he was switched to DM the team improved 3x. He was not that old, and he could have kept on going 1 or 2 more years. I've always wondered if the reason he looked so vulnerable as right fullback (where he had played for decades for Athletic Bilbao) was because or defense in midfield was so bad. Anyway, yes, horrible lineup.

Look at that lineup. Wow NYCFC has come a long way in a year. The midfield for that game was a 1000 year old Iraola, lead foot/hard head Bravo, and "man he works hard" Lopez. Yeeesh.

Yes, we have come a long way, but I'm gonna defend Irola here. Besides being a classy guy, he was the key for our season not going down the tubes. I mean, we made the playoffs and seeded 2nd. When he was switched to DM the team improved 3x. He was not that old, and he could have kept on going 1 or 2 more years. I've always wondered if the reason he looked so vulnerable as right fullback (where he had played for decades for Athletic Bilbao) was because or defense in midfield was so bad. Anyway, yes, horrible lineup.
If Iraola doesn't retire and reasonably replicates his 2016, we probably end anywhere from 6 to 12 points better in my estimation.

Look at that lineup. Wow NYCFC has come a long way in a year. The midfield for that game was a 1000 year old Iraola, lead foot/hard head Bravo, and "man he works hard" Lopez. Yeeesh.
It's funny to look at that and remember our offseason, and there were regular heart palpitations because the club wasn't making any player moves.

I wonder if Mata is even in the mix anymore at LB or if Patrick really only sees him at LW. Remember that the game in which he got hurt, he was only at LB because White and RJ were suspended. He was going to start at LW.

Reactions: Kjbert and canchon
I wonder if Mata is even in the mix anymore at LB or if Patrick really only sees him at LW. Remember that the game in which he got hurt, he was only at LB because White and RJ were suspended. He was going to start at LW.

I think the same, even with Mata back fully fit PV hasn't started him at LB. This then leads to the issue of you are only getting Mata for 30 minutes because PV seems to value Wallace's defense. I think PV might see Mata as a huge supersub to come in and rip tired defenses with speed, plus provides good defensive cover down that side as well.

I think an MLS Cup winning team needs 90 of Mata, not 30.

I think the same, even with Mata back fully fit PV hasn't started him at LB. This then leads to the issue of you are only getting Mata for 30 minutes because PV seems to value Wallace's defense. I think PV might see Mata as a huge supersub to come in and rip tired defenses with speed, plus provides good defensive cover down that side as well.

I think an MLS Cup winning team needs 90 of Mata, not 30.
Yeah his offensive decision making is just so much slicker than Sweat's. I would even say his defense in tight spaces is far superior. His lapses may just be more visible.

If you look at how many times our fullbacks handle the ball in a typical build-up, it's staggering to think about how much more dangerous we would be with two ballers in those positions. Unfortunately, I don't think Struna counts.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
Status
Not open for further replies.