Away - 10/31 Columbus - 1st Leg ECS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we root for Columbus, yes.

We can score goals on Atlanta. They're not sound defensively. I read that Parkhurst is hurt - I don't know the extent of the injury. Guzan has had some howlers of late. Their offense is terrific and that stadium will be packed.

Reactions: Sabo and Ulrich
What worries me about an Atlanta match up is how ref dependent it would be coupled with how terrible many of the Pro refs are. If we get one of these card happy refs that drops a soft yellow on ring and or Herrera early in the game we could be in trouble. I'm also not sure many of the Refs we've seen this season have to composure to keep it together in front of +70k screaming fans in Atlanta. Other than that I think we match up well with them. Aside from their super star attackers the rest of their team is not that great.

Both ATL and Crew have defenders who are likely to foul in the box when attacked on the dribble.

If PV feels the need to throw a tactical curveball in Game 1, Mata at LW in place of Wallace might be a good choice -- I think Mata is a better attacker on the dribble.

It always helps to know who scores first in any given game, but with Atlanta I think it matters much more than usual. Once they get that first score, especially at home, they press even harder and force more mistakes, and tend to win by big margins.
If we can keep them at bay for 30 minutes or more in Atlanta in the first leg I like our chances.

Another thing that heartens me a bit, even with our weak play lately is that we've nearly stopped giving up goals caused by turnovers while we are playing from the back. It was so bad early in the season that I was keeping a tally of every goal we gave up and whether it was regular run of play, set play, or a turnover in our back end. At some point PV started allowing SJ to kick the ball over aggressive pressing teams, and we got more coordinated when we do play from the back, and it stopped so much I gave up the effort. Goals like that are Atlanta's bread and butter. If we have really learned to avoid those we match up pretty well otherwise.

Considering we don't have a target player, it doesn't even matter if they can cross a ball.

Agree with most of your reasoning apart from this^.

Yes it's a disadvantage not to have height but the biggest advantage is that theoretically we always know what we want to do with the ball before the defense does, so if we can execute then we can use positioning to our advantage and score. And maybe having smaller, quicker and smarter players is more of an advantage than height in those situations.

For example, Struna to Maxi against the Dynamo. Or any of the corner routines we scored on (admittedly more often last year).

It always helps to know who scores first in any given game, but with Atlanta I think it matters much more than usual. Once they get that first score, especially at home, they press even harder and force more mistakes, and tend to win by big margins.
If we can keep them at bay for 30 minutes or more in Atlanta in the first leg I like our chances.

Another thing that heartens me a bit, even with our weak play lately is that we've nearly stopped giving up goals caused by turnovers while we are playing from the back. It was so bad early in the season that I was keeping a tally of every goal we gave up and whether it was regular run of play, set play, or a turnover in our back end. At some point PV started allowing SJ to kick the ball over aggressive pressing teams, and we got more coordinated when we do play from the back, and it stopped so much I gave up the effort. Goals like that are Atlanta's bread and butter. If we have really learned to avoid those we match up pretty well otherwise.

The thing I would fear the most about a matchup with ATL is our fullbacks. Neither Sweat nor Struna or White are good against speedy wingers. I think Mata has to start, even if he doesn't bomb forward once, just to match the pace of Villalba or Asad. And on the right side, just prayers and keeping Jack tucked in, I guess. Specially because Callens provides much faster secondary cover on the left than Brillant on the right. They would bomb up on their left trying to overwhelm the relatively slow White/Brillant.

Let's think a little more about our two games against Atlanta.

The first was on May 7 in Yankee Stadium, and NYC won 3-1. It was one of the only games with our first choice front six, and we basically had our first choice starting XI, except (to some) with Sweat instead of Matarrita. Atlanta was without Martinez and Asad.

Villa opened the scoring early, with Atlanta equalizing off a long throw in late in the half. In the second half, NYC had 2 balls cleared off the line in a crazy sequence and eventually scored two quick goals to put things away.

It was a dominating victory and perhaps City's best of the season. While possession was about even, NYC really controlled the entire game, and had much better passing stats. The Pigeons had 16 shots, including 11 on target, while Atlanta had 11 shots and 3 on target. Expected goals were 2.9 for NYC and 0.5 for the Five Stripes.

The second was three weeks later on May 28 in Bobby Dodd, with the score reversed. Both teams had basically the same lineups, except we had Lopez starting instead of Herrera, and Atlanta had Asad back.

Atlanta hit NYC early and hard, racing out to a 3-0 lead after 23 minutes, with the goals coming off their famed quick counterattacks, including Gressel's dispossession of Callens right next to the box. After that, NYC settled down and created a few chances, but only Harrison's volley of a Ben Sweat cross found the net.

Despite the lopsided score, the stats were much more even in this game. NYC held the possession edge 56-44, perhaps not surprisingly given the early lead. The Blues also had much stronger stats in passing accuracy. Notably, each team had 9 shots and put 3 on target. NYC actually had the edge in expected goals 1.4 to 0.9.

Last edited:
The thing I would fear the most about a matchup with ATL is our fullbacks. Neither Sweat nor Struna or White are good against speedy wingers. I think Mata has to start, even if he doesn't bomb forward once, just to match the pace of Villalba or Asad. And on the right side, just prayers and keeping Jack tucked in, I guess. Specially because Callens provides much faster secondary cover on the left than Brillant on the right. They would bomb up on their left trying to overwhelm the relatively slow White/Brillant.
I’ll give you a “yes and” instead of a”yes but.”
Probably Mata, and White opposite. Tell Ethan to stay home and he’ll do it.
On top of the the CBS have to be very sharp. I like our midfield against Atlanta, but if we do make a mistake or just slip like Maxi did against Columbus, then Atlanta will run right up the middle and Callens/Brillant/?Chanot? have to be ready.

I’ll give you a “yes and” instead of a”yes but.”
Probably Mata, and White opposite. Tell Ethan to stay home and he’ll do it.
On top of the the CBS have to be very sharp. I like our midfield against Atlanta, but if we do make a mistake or just slip like Maxi did against Columbus, then Atlanta will run right up the middle and Callens/Brillant/?Chanot? have to be ready.
Anybody remember where Shelton or Lewis were when Manneh was tormenting White? I know Harrison was off at that point.

I wonder if this is the kind of defensive awareness that Vieira is saying that Lewis lacks. I also wonder if we are overestimating the severity of the RB problem by focusing on the threat that was posed when we didn't have a very defensively-conscientious Harrison to help out down the flanks.

Anybody remember where Shelton or Lewis were when Manneh was tormenting White? I know Harrison was off at that point.

I wonder if this is the kind of defensive awareness that Vieira is saying that Lewis lacks. I also wonder if we are overestimating the severity of the RB problem by focusing on the threat that was posed when we didn't have a very defensively-conscientious Harrison to help out down the flanks.
I can’t answer your question, but White was cramping up at the end of the match and was visibly stretching out his calf. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s not back to full fitness from his calf injury, so was he getting abused by Manneh because of a skill/athletic mismatch or because he was fighting off cramps? He is by far our most consistent outside defender regarding defensive duties and he’s contained other speedy wingers.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Another reason for Columbus is we want a team that has to travel twice. As opposed to Atlanta just waiting at home for us to show up.

Columbus fans absolutely should not show up either if Austin Athletic ends up beating Atlanta.

One of the things that worries me the most about a trip to ATL is scoring on the road. We've had some trouble getting into an offensive flow away from [Insert Stadium Here]. That said, ATL's style will likely lead to more opportunities than we wouldn't get against a boring, methodical defense like NER. Playing in front of those huge crowds is daunting, but thankfully we've got guys with experience playing in some crazy atmospheres.

If I'm PV, and IF we are playing Atlanta, I would do a Rod/Mata 1st/2nd half swap because we'll need all the legs we can get out there. Interestingly enough, I always see ATL playing fast through the middle, which kind of plays into our hands where we have a solid defensive spine in the midfield.

Everyone worrying about the CBs are right, though. We could really do with Chanot's mobility paired with Callens. I hope PV tells the back 4 to be cautious, while letting the front 6 push.

My big concern with Atlanta is that, with Leg 1 at their place, we'll have to claw back a deficit at home. We saw what happened last year -- when Toronto got that first goal six minutes into the home game, the series was already over. I'd rather not have that sort of thing happen again.

Absolutely imperative to get that road goal, no matter who we play.

My big concern with Atlanta is that, with Leg 1 at their place, we'll have to claw back a deficit at home. We saw what happened last year -- when Toronto got that first goal six minutes into the home game, the series was already over. I'd rather not have that sort of thing happen again.

Absolutely imperative to get that road goal, no matter who we play.
Pretty sure that there are no road goal tie breakers. If tied on points 3/3 after two different scoreline wins/losses, then it goes to total goals scored. So while yes, getting a road goal in a loss is a good thing, it only helps if it puts you ahead in total goals scored.

Not sure if after total goals scored they go to total goals allowed.

If we lose on the road, it’s important to keep the goal differential to only -1. Losing the first match 3-5 and winning the second match 1-0 still screws us over.

Pretty sure that there are no road goal tie breakers. If tied on points 3/3 after two different scoreline wins/losses, then it goes to total goals scored. So while yes, getting a road goal in a loss is a good thing, it only helps if it puts you ahead in total goals scored.

Not sure if after total goals scored they go to total goals allowed.

If we lose on the road, it’s important to keep the goal differential to only -1. Losing the first match 3-5 and winning the second match 1-0 still screws us over.

FALSE.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015...101-everything-you-need-know-about-postseason

CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS AND CHAMPIONSHIPS
Once the single-elimination Knockout Round matches narrow the field, the format switches to two-match, aggregate-goal series for the Conference Semifinals and Conference Championships, with the lower seed hosting the first leg and the higher seed hosting the second leg. The team with the most total goals over two legs advances.

If the teams score an equal number of goals over the course of both matches, the team with the most road goals in the series advances to the Conference Championship. If at the end of the 180 minutes the teams are tied on both total goals and away goals, the teams will play two 15-minute extra time periods in which away goals DO NOT count, followed by, if necessary, penalty kicks to determine a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.