Away - 10/31 Columbus - 1st Leg ECS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we have come a long way, but I'm gonna defend Irola here. Besides being a classy guy, he was the key for our season not going down the tubes. I mean, we made the playoffs and seeded 2nd. When he was switched to DM the team improved 3x. He was not that old, and he could have kept on going 1 or 2 more years. I've always wondered if the reason he looked so vulnerable as right fullback (where he had played for decades for Athletic Bilbao) was because or defense in midfield was so bad. Anyway, yes, horrible lineup.
I think this is a very valid point, but I still think the other point in how awful that midfield still stands.

Iraola was critical to that lineup because having him at the 6 allowed Pirlo to work. And Pirlo had a pretty good year last year. Iraola allowed us to have a formation that included a Pirlo and an attack-minded Lampard.

And while Iraola IMO was arguably one of our most important players last year, we did not need him at the 6 when our other two midfielders were Lopez and Bravo. That combination of lack of technical skills (Lopez and to a lesser extent Bravo) and lack of speed (Iraola and Bravo) and lack of attacking prowess (all 3) was a truly atrocious formula.

Executive Summary: I loved what Iraola did for us last year and can't hate on him. But that starting midfield for that game was just downright awful.

Was sweat and white starting OUR preferred starting XI? Let's see Mata and Struna start and see what happens. Agree about Lewis off the bench though.

I'm not sold on Struna, he's more mobile and willing to join the attack than White but his decision making when he has the ball at his feet seems a touch slow to me. It often looks like a very mechanical process with little to no anticipation, receive ball, settle ball, ensure possession, okay now figure out what you will do with it. He also does this strange thing when he receives the ball along the side line when he's facing the opposite sideline where he traps the ball and then takes 2 steps to run around the ball so that he's facing up field before he starts his move or looks up to make a pass. I'm not describing it well but when we have a quick passing rhythm going it always seems like he takes too long and bogs things down.

I wonder if Mata is even in the mix anymore at LB or if Patrick really only sees him at LW. Remember that the game in which he got hurt, he was only at LB because White and RJ were suspended. He was going to start at LW.
If that's the case he should be starting over Wallace at LW

It's kinda hard to dish on White - his side was locked down pretty darn well during the match. The goal came off a crazy turnover/foul shy of midfield on the left and a corner kick.
When Manneh subbed on, White couldn't keep up. I don't want to see White vs Accam or Asad for an entire game.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I'm not sold on Struna, he's more mobile and willing to join the attack than White but his decision making when he has the ball at his feet seems a touch slow to me. It often looks like a very mechanical process with little to no anticipation, receive ball, settle ball, ensure possession, okay now figure out what you will do with it.
This may all be true about Struna, but isn't this all also true about Ethan? I feel like I see this exact same thing with him as well.

This may all be true about Struna, but isn't this all also true about Ethan? I feel like I see this exact same thing with him as well.

I think White is a slightly better defenders and agree that he is equally if not more so limited on offense than Struna but White mostly just stays out of the offense. Not sure which is better at this point stronger D from White who doesn't join the attack or slightly worse D from Struna who joins the attack but bogs it down somewhat.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I think the same, even with Mata back fully fit PV hasn't started him at LB. This then leads to the issue of you are only getting Mata for 30 minutes because PV seems to value Wallace's defense. I think PV might see Mata as a huge supersub to come in and rip tired defenses with speed, plus provides good defensive cover down that side as well.

I think an MLS Cup winning team needs 90 of Mata, not 30.
He did start Mata at LB for the midweek Montreal game.

And Mata looked 10x better then Sweat. Not to take away anything from Sweat, because we wouldn't be in 2nd place right now without his contributions, but the shine has really come off the past few weeks. It would be crazy to me if PV thinks 90 mins of Sweat + 25 minutes of Mata is better then 90 mins of Mata. But hey, this is the same guy who picks Khiry over Lewis, so who knows.

He did start Mata at LB for the midweek Montreal game.

And Mata looked 10x better then Sweat. Not to take away anything from Sweat, because we wouldn't be in 2nd place right now without his contributions, but the shine has really come off the past few weeks. It would be crazy to me if PV thinks 90 mins of Sweat + 25 minutes of Mata is better then 90 mins of Mata. But hey, this is the same guy who picks Khiry over Lewis, so who knows.
While back playing and training, Mata may not have fully regained his fitness to either go a full 90 or to be able to fully recover after a match before the next one. It’s really really hard to regain full match fitness midseason after such a long layoff. So Vieira May have just decided the best use is as a super-sub that doesn’t deplete Mata while allowing him the added advantage of running against tired legs.

I agree that I’d rather play Columbus, but I don’t see a huge difference between the two. Atlanta has more raw talent, but Columbus is on better form. Either would be a tough out.

Atlanta scares the hell out of everyone because of their front four and the fact that they whooped up on a bunch of non-playoff teams when their stadium opened. In fact if we play Atlanta get ready for days of hype and everyone picking Atlanta. Perhaps that disrespect might light a fire under the players.

I agree that I’d rather play Columbus, but I don’t see a huge difference between the two. Atlanta has more raw talent, but Columbus is on better form. Either would be a tough out.
We also just played Columbus and saw how we matched up. We haven't yet played a full strength Atlanta. Martinez missed both the matches we played

Atlanta scares the hell out of everyone because of their front four and the fact that they whooped up on a bunch of non-playoff teams when their stadium opened. In fact if we play Atlanta get ready for days of hype and everyone picking Atlanta. Perhaps that disrespect might light a fire under the players.

SUMMON RING THE DESTROYER

tenor.gif

ATL scares the crap out of me. I don't know how well we match up against their attack and pace. On the positive side, we don't have to worry about anyone stuck on a yellow card accumulation so you'd think Ring and Herrera can be physical.

We have the horses and speed to match ATL and can’t be afraid to use it. This will be a series where matches are won with multiple goals, so our tactics should be schemed with offense in mind to put their defense on the back foot - Lewis Villa Maxi and Harrison running at them.

Not impressed with Struna. I'm comfortable with White playing as a RB with Jack as the RW. White won't get caught out offensively up the pitch, it lessens some of the defensive burden of Harrison. We'd all love to see an overlapping FB with Harrison down the right wing, especially considering his ability to cut in, but neither Struna or White can take a guy 1 v 1. Considering we don't have a target player, it doesn't even matter if they can cross a ball. Allen is the only RB on the roster that I like getting forward, and he's the worst defensively of the 3.

I go with White, especially on the road. He knows his role and he plays within it. It hurts us a little bit going forward, but I can live with that.

We have the horses and speed to match ATL and can’t be afraid to use it. This will be a series where matches are won with multiple goals, so our tactics should be schemed with offense in mind to put their defense on the back foot - Lewis Villa Maxi and Harrison running at them.

Assuming we play ATL, we can't play like we just did against Columbus, we'll get utterly annihilated. Let Herrera and Maxi off their chain and accept the yellow on Ring. Assuming we're playing Mata he's not going to be able to go forwards as much.

ATL's counter is just too good, you can't play the super possession game with them.

Reactions: Kjbert
Status
Not open for further replies.