Orlando Postmatch

Coach V is positioning us as the elite team that plays as if it expects to win - cool, composed and confident.

Yeah, man. That's it exactly and I respect that approach. I think he's right to aim us in that direction. However, he and the team HAVE to be ready to take off the cool and FSU! (no college)

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Yeah, man. That's it exactly and I respect that approach. I think he's right to aim us in that direction. However, he and the team HAVE to be ready to take off the cool and FSU! (no college)
As mentioned, PV wasn't happy as halftime with the play (I don't remember what the exact quote was), but when I heard it, I immediately thought of all the trick passes Villa was trying to make that weren't connecting. And it wasn't just him, a lot of no-look passing to guys that either weren't there or had a defender right on them.

There is no world where Mendozza should start over Harrison. The Mendozza goal was essentially Lampard's doing. Mendozza is a nice sub to have but he is a terrible passer. I though Harrison was hurt or something when he wasn't starting.

NYC looked tired but it was a really shitty way to lose a match. The Kaka goal was very annoying and then Chanot missed the ball and the ref basically had to call the penalty. If Chanot gets his foot on the ball I don't think the penalty is awarded.

Orlando has a better home field advantage than we do. We better hope we don't ever have a playoff match there.

Reactions: Gavin23
Alexi Lalas has complained that NYCFC is not forthcoming with the media as he'd like them to be. Well they aren't as forthcoming with their fans either. There are much more pertinent questions that we deserve answers to.

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2016/08/2...ck-vieiras-post-match-interview?autoplay=true

Why Hernandez at right back? Why the continued use of Saunders?

And aggressivity isn't a word, Patrick.
aggressivity is a word. those questions would just get replied with coach speak anyway.

aggressivity is a word. those questions would just get replied with coach speak anyway.

Looked it up, aggressivity is used more in the French dialect. That being said, it still comes up as a spell chcek. I just want answers damn it.

Part of me thinks we're going with this lineup so come playoff time when we start Mata and RJ, teams won't practice for that lineup.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Part of me thinks we're going with this lineup so come playoff time when we start Mata and RJ, teams won't practice for that lineup.
I wrote this last week (with regard to Orlando), but added that I don't think PV is that strategic. He has no problem telling everybody "this is how we play."

Reactions: S1ARK5
At the end of that game, we had Villa, Mendoza, Harrison, Taylor, and Shelton all on the field. Plus Lampard as attacking mid.

We kept throwing forwards on the field, and I couldn't help but wonder how all of them would possibly work together to find a goal. It did not seem very sophisticated from Vieira, and I was not surprised that we didn't find an equalizer.

Pulling a quiet McNamara for Harrison makes sense, and so does adding Shelton for Hernandez because Shelton is our biggest body up front. But why not Bravo for Pirlo to snuff out counter attacks and get the ball back in the middle of the field?

Not sure I have the solution, but Vieira's subs caught me as tactically simplistic.

Reactions: Paul and ktdNYCFC
There is no world where Mendozza should start over Harrison. The Mendozza goal was essentially Lampard's doing. Mendoza is a nice sub to have but he is a terrible passer. I though Harrison was hurt or something when he wasn't starting.

I think they are intentionally limiting Harrison's min. Young players in the past have had trouble adjusting from a college schedule to a full MLS season. Ideally the Mendoza start was just squad rotation I bet Harrison is back in the starting line up Thursday.

At the end of that game, we had Villa, Mendoza, Harrison, Taylor, and Shelton all on the field. Plus Lampard as attacking mid.

We kept throwing forwards on the field, and I couldn't help but wonder how all of them would possibly work together to find a goal. It did not seem very sophisticated from Vieira, and I was not surprised that we didn't find an equalizer.

Pulling a quiet McNamara for Harrison makes sense, and so does adding Shelton for Hernandez because Shelton is our biggest body up front. But why not Bravo for Pirlo to snuff out counter attacks and get the ball back in the middle of the field?

Not sure I have the solution, but Vieira's subs caught me as tactically simplistic.
Pulling McNamara was the weirdest since he was really playing very central and doing most of the link up.

Reactions: Max Power and Paul
My Andrea should have been at his Vineyard !!! I think that's where his mind was at during this game. I wonder what he was thinking as he was watching his AC Milan team mate score goals against him?? Call it a day after this season and Go Home to your Father where your Future Is!! Stop Letting the demons in your head Get The Best of you For God's Sake!! You Have Nothing To Prove!!...............Hi JCMore JCMore

I also don't get all the hand-wringing over Saunders after this one. Mena might as well have held out a red cape for Kaka to run through, and Chanot's foul was both clumsy and stupid. Our two expensive, mid-season signings to shore up the defense basically gave the game away.
Pretty sure the real stupidity on the PK was Hernandez for standing over the ball at the edge of our box. Pass the damn ball!!!

To me, that's the same reasoning that leads me to find Saunders most at fault for the first. Other people were at fault, sure. First, Pirlo was probably fouled in the first place, but he gives the ball away. Then, Mena got beat covering for Matarrita, but at least he showed Kaka to an angle where it was very difficult for him to score, and the other defenders recovered nicely to block any cutbacks. Then Saunders gift wraps the goal by more or less Bucknering a soft shot.

His consistent repeated mistakes are really frustrating to many of us. Throughout the game, yet again, he was diving for no reason. He also completely flapped at air on an extremely dangerous cross, and we were lucky to get away with it (I think it was a deadball kick of some sort).

Pretty sure the real stupidity on the PK was Hernandez for standing over the ball at the edge of our box. Pass the damn ball!!!

To me, that's the same reasoning that leads me to find Saunders most at fault for the first. Other people were at fault, sure. First, Pirlo was probably fouled in the first place, but he gives the ball away. Then, Mena got beat covering for Matarrita, but at least he showed Kaka to an angle where it was very difficult for him to score, and the other defenders recovered nicely to block any cutbacks. Then Saunders gift wraps the goal by more or less Bucknering a soft shot.

His consistent repeated mistakes are really frustrating to many of us. Throughout the game, yet again, he was diving for no reason. He also completely flapped at air on an extremely dangerous cross, and we were lucky to get away with it (I think it was a deadball kick of some sort).
First rule of defending, always kill the danger. Better to kick a ball up the sideline & out then to try and walk it out of the box while looking for the short pass in the middle.

Hernandez should know his own limitations by now and play within them (they don't include dribbling in tight spaces) - PV won't be pissed if there's no pass and the ball is cleared, even if it goes against the doctrine of playing the ball out of the back. Saunders has finally learned to do that and he hasn't been benched as a result.

That was the worst play, I can't even believe that one. You are a horrible dribbler, but either way, don;t dick around on the ball right at the edge of the penalty area. I can understand getting beaten one on one by Kaka, I can understand missing a tackle for a penalty, I just cannot understand why you would not clear that ball.